Drum & Bass Joe Walsh October 2012 DNB Mix

Discussion in 'Members Mixes' started by Joe Walsh, Oct 12, 2012.

1. Joe Walsh

Joe Walsh New Member

Hi guys,

Friend of mine suggested I should sign up here. I'm Joe Walsh, 27 years old, live in Bournemouth, I produce again after an 8 year break and I'm studying Digital Music at Southampton Solent University.

I try to upload a mix once a month of fresh tunes that I'm feeling. Here's a link to one I recorded yesterday.

http://soundcloud.com/joe-walsh-2/joe-walsh-october-2012-dnb-mix

Tracklisting:

Love Hurts - S.P.Y (Hospital)
    My Mind Playing Tricks - Remo, Grim, Blue Motion & Soundnbeats (Rubik)
    Whos Funky - Protone & Roy Green (Influenza)
    Catharsis - Ulterior Motive & Lenzman (Subtitles)
    Jaipur (Villem Remix) - Foreign Concept (Ingredients)
    Fade Away - Tephra (Terabyte)
    Real Talk - Amoss (Horizon)
    Mad One ft. Jamakabi - A.I. & Command Strange (Metalheadz)
    Sound Clash - Wickaman & RV (PRGRAM)
    Hitch Hiker - Hybrid Minds & Anile (Mainframe)
    Nightcall - S.P.Y (Hospital)
    Minesweeper - Ulterior Motive & Krakota (Subtitles)
    Set Up The Set ft. Script - Octane & DLR (Dispatch)
    Dogs & Frogs - Mefjus (Trust In Music)
    Smokescreen - Emperor (Neodigital)
    Galactica - Maztek (Renegade Hardware)
    Resistance - Tephra (Terabyte)
    Red Mist VIP ft Subterra & Gusto - Octane & DLR (Dispatch)
    Bring Out - Ulterior Motive & Hybris (Subtitles)
    Fix Up - Badklaat (OTB)
    Let Me Go - Octane, DLR & Break (Dispatch)
    Broken Grounds - A.I. & Command Strange (Metalheadz)
    Torque - S.P.Y (Hospital)
    Elevate This Sound - Calyx & Teebee (RAM)

Cheers,
    Joe

Last edited: Oct 12, 2012
  2. jsmith89

jsmith89 Hmph..... silly...

i'll have a listen mate looks swell. welcome to the forum! you might like the production / new talent sections of the forum too

3. Joe Walsh

Joe Walsh New Member

Thanks fella. I'll post some stuff up over there at some point maybe.

4. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Currently Putins Koala

i'll give this a whirl, some of the TL looks very good, interested to see what those blends will sound like.

& as above...if you produce check the new talent/production part of the forum.

:welcome:

5. The Watcha

The Watcha Well-Known Member

Welcome to the forum Joe! Thought I'd give your mix a listen, as it is nice to see what new dj's have to offer. Some of the tunes in the tracklist weren't entirely my cup of tea, but gave it a whirl anyway.

Nice intro with Love Hurts & love that skatty beat in My Mind Playing Tricks. Very funky & soulful first section with Who's Funky rolling in, like the underlying bass on that one & not heard it before :) enjoyed hearing Catharsis mixed with something a bit mellower. That combination was smooth. Jaipur rmx was a wicked choice with Catharsis. Tiny blip towards the end, but nothing major. Not heard Fade Away before either & its quite a broody one. Hitch Hiker was a filthy mix when that came in. Nightcall - Minesweeper - Set Up The Set - Smokescreen had to be my favourite section of the mix. Minesweeper rolled well into Nightcall. I liked the way the vocal came through with Set Up The Set, then bringing Minesweeper back in was a nice idea, then Smokescreen tagged on Set Up The Set was a wise choice, with these two working really well together. Really liked that Resistance tune as well. Nice & deep roller. Choice selection for your first mix on here Joe. Worked rather well.

Shameless plug, but you might like my latest mix I recorded over the weekend, which includes a few Ulterior Motive & Octane & DLR tunes right up your street.

http://dnbforum.com/showthread.php/...rior-Motive-Jubei-Break-Icicle-Octane-amp-DLR

6. Joe Walsh

Joe Walsh New Member

Thanks for the feedback :) Glad to hear it's been enjoyed, it can all go horribly wrong when you decide to hit record!

I forgot to point out that it was recorded using a pair of CDJ1000's and Xone:62 Mixer (Very much overdue a service).

I'm a little hooked on playing on 3 now though, just need to justify spending the money on a 3rd CDJ as well as new studio equipment!

7. Joe Walsh

Joe Walsh New Member

@The Watcha

I'll give your mix a listen too, big ups for all the constructive criticism, it's good to hear from others what they like and didn't like :)

8. Agent Smith

Agent Smith Currently Putins Koala

Exactly my sentiments Mr Watcha

Ok few slips & slides along the way, nothing too noticeable, and anything I did notice was quickly brought back.

Fav section

Minesweeper - Ulterior Motive & Krakota (Subtitles)
    Set Up The Set ft. Script - Octane & DLR (Dispatch)
    Dogs & Frogs - Mefjus (Trust In Music)
    Smokescreen - Emperor (Neodigital)
    Galactica - Maztek (Renegade Hardware)
    Resistance - Tephra (Terabyte)
    Red Mist VIP ft Subterra & Gusto - Octane & DLR (Dispatch)
    Bring Out - Ulterior Motive & Hybris (Subtitles)

I generally dig the deeper techier vibes so the above section really hit the spot for me.

Not a bad first mix posted Joe! Certainly have heard considerably worse over the years. Think that Minesweeper >> Set Up The Set mix was probably my favourite of the bunch.

Do you use the VCF filters on your xone 62 to EQ your mixes? Or do you go the old fashion way of tweaking the trebles & mids etc? I've always been interested as i've seen and heard people do it before.

thats what Members Mixes is all about. Constructive criticism and trying to improve on those things that you yourself may not hear.

Try & use the rep function as well for people who leave feedback on your mixes, it always goes down well if someone has made an effort to get something in return.

Big up Joe...will peep your next installment!
    I have a mix in my sig if you want to listen; i'm not one for shameless plugs but I should have a 2hr mix on the way this week

9. Joe Walsh

Joe Walsh New Member

I'm glad I've joined this place, so nice to hear the commentary. I think I've found the new place to get mixes from for my daily trips up the motorway to southampton and back! I stumbled upon the Tephra tunes because he's from my girlfriends hometown and her friend suggested I should check him out because of a forthcoming release on Terabyte, turn's out that release was really good!

I've never used the VCF filters to be perfectly honest, I played around with them for five minutes once and figured they were probably running before I could walk at the time! More useful for 3 deck mixing so I understand?

I'll use the reputation button now, thanks :)

10. skwiffer

skwiffer Active Member

Yes Joe! Gave this a listen already but will get on it again :)