Joe Ford Q&A on Twitter

specter

So, Joe Ford did a Q&A on twitter. I compiled some of the questions and answers and structured them a bit. I'm sure that I overlooked some questions, but twitter really isn't the ideal platform for a Q&A.
However, maybe this is interesting for some of you. :)

JOE FORD Q&A on Twitter: https://twitter.com/joefordmusic

ARRANGEMENT/STRUCTURE/COMPOSING/SOUNDDESIGN/MIXING

Q: Do you write the intros first or start with the main section and work backwards?
A: Main drop then work backward 90% of the time.

Q: Do you ever get writer's block? Or struggle developing a track past the drop section?
A: It’s different every day. Sometimes yes. On these days I spend time making sounds and saving them - wish I had started doing this earlier.

Q: Do you use reverb on send channels wired to different bus groups to achieve more space-atmosphere? Any tips?
A: I generally try to keep the amount of reverbs to a minimum – 1 for drums, 1 for bass and atmos maybe.

Q: How did you make that pad in 'City 17' at 2:55 for example?
A: Low passing a normal pad with a high resonance controlled by a stepping lfo.

Q: How do you create that drum like bass sound on stride on the drop? Follows after the snare.
A: That was like 3 layers of massive. Pitching notes down to get stabs.

Q: What else motivates you to write tunes besides other music i.e. films, places, art, people?
A: Sci-fi Games and films do hugely. For intros I often stare at film artwork and imagine what sounds you would find there.

Q: Regarding stereo imagery, do you tend to worry about mono-compatibility, as in- getting too wide, causing phasing issues...
A: I haven’t really worried about it. I never spread anything below, say, 200hz.

Q: What's your "general" sort of process for creating pads/synths? And do you use many effects, reverb, etc. as well?
A: I love adding reverb to low passed pads. You get a really warm wide sound. Pads are generally extremely simple – just saw waves.

BASS

Q: What’s your favourite wavetable in Massive?
A: My favourite Massive wavetable is 'squelchy'.

Q: When it comes to resampling, how do you preserve the lower frequencies and avoid phase issues?
A: I rarely resample. And if I do, I don’t split the frequencies up.

Q: Favourite plugins for processing basses?
A: Most of the bass processing is done within massive.

Q: What do you use to get such resonance in your basses? I'd like to know your plugin setup.
A: My plugin setup (90% of the time) is Massive and then logic stock plug-ins, maybe fab-filter every now and then.

Q: What's your favorite go-to waveforms in massive for neuro basses?
A: Kangaroo is sick.

Q: How do you approach creating the movement in your basses? Do you reach for your tools, Lfo, env and play?
A: I find the MOST crucial thing to making a bass sound good is moving many of the right parameters at the same time.

Q: What are some go-to LFO waveforms and rates? What are some examples of the right parameters to move?
A: 99% of the time it’s a sin wave. As for the rate and stuff: there’s no golden rule. Whatever is appropriate for the movement.

Q: Choose below or suggest: pitch, bandpass, notch, unison, vocoder-stuff, distortion, reverb.
A: Generally: notch, bandpass, wavetable position.

Q: Are you getting the movement from automating the rate? Or modulating the rate with another Env or Lfo?
A: The lfo is affecting a parameter. That parameter is creating the movement. E.g. lfo 1 on filter cutoff.

Q: Is it common for you to split a bass to 3 samples? (panned left for mid-highs, panned mid for mid-lows & sub, and pan right..)
A: No, I have a setup in the project whereby. I send everything that’s not drums to 4 channels. I just mono the sub channel.

DRUMS

Q: What do you use for snare layers? Samples or do you synthesize them or both?
A: Generally all samples. Although very recently I started layering the transient with a pitch enveloped sin wave - can be great.

Q: What is the trick to your drum processing? It's much more than just parallel compression.
A: Often I don’t do much processing when I insert drums, I’ve usually made them in a separate project, and they’re ready to go or layer. Although in the initial stages, heavy compression of the transient can be helpful.

PLUGINS/SAMPLES

Q: What are your favourite go to sample packs?
A: I used the Deadmau5 pack for about 2 years. Other than that i like bouncing out the logic sampler stuff sometimes.

Q: What are your favourite plugins to use atm?
A: Most recently I got superior drummer 2.0 - that thing is fantastic. Other than that I’m using massive and fabfilter.

Q: Can you list your most used VSTs then?
A: Massive, Saturn, exs24, sausage fattener.

Q: Where do you find your foley sounds?
A: Sound effect bible. impact. house hold, vengeance foley.

Q: What 3rd party fx plugins do you use?
A: I don’t use many. Fabfilter volcano is a cool wobbly filter though.

Q: Favourite plugins for processing basses?
A: Most of the bass processing is done within massive.

Q: What do you use to get such resonance in your basses? I'd like to know your plugin setup.
A: My plugin setup (90% of the time) is Massive and then logic stock plug-ins, maybe fab-filter every now and then.

This is the stuff that boggles my mind. I know Massive and Logic's plugins like the back of my hand, but i can't anywhere near Joe's level of complexity. I know he notches like crazy but there's nothing i've made that comes close to his shit. Damn.

This is the stuff that boggles my mind. I know Massive and Logic's plugins like the back of my hand, but i can't anywhere near Joe's level of complexity. I know he notches like crazy but there's nothing i've made that comes close to his shit. Damn.
p0o2y.jpg

so imma gonna play a bit more with kangaroo and squelchy.

joe tunes tend to be a little too repetitive. and kind of linear, imo. he definitely has potential, but he's not there yet... comparing to other producers.

Nice. Right to the point. Solid answers. I like that. . . . I just messed with kangaroo. . . . ..It is nasty.. A lot of movement with the wave table position.

so imma gonna play a bit more with kangaroo and squelchy.

joe tunes tend to be a little too repetitive. and kind of linear, imo. he definitely has potential, but he's not there yet... comparing to other producers.

his sound design is fucking great tho. makes up for it in most of his tunes!

Back
Top Bottom