Jocklaw - See Me (Liquid DnB)

Discussion in 'New Talent & Track Reviews' started by JocklawUS, Jul 30, 2014.

1. JocklawUS

JocklawUS New Member

Hey all,
    I'm new here and excited to a part of this community. I've been producing for a long time but just recently started making DnB. I would like to show you guys my first shot at a liquid track:

I'm hugely inspired by artists like Bachelors of Science and especially Colossus - I really admire his production techniques and his sound design. Let me know what you think of this track. If you like my stuff, I'd really appreciate a like & follow on soundcloud. I'm also open to collaboration, it helps me learn things from other artists and teach them some of my own ways as well.
    Much love.

2. Laney UK

Laney UK Member

Not much to say really. If I owned a label I'd sign it. If it was on vinyl I'd buy it. Right up my street. :)

Beautiful composition. Sounds unmastered?

3. JocklawUS

JocklawUS New Member

Wow, that's extremely kind of you to say - thanks so much. Yes, the mastering is quite basic. I didn't do much besides some stereo separation & post eq'ing but I'm no mastering engineer so it's the best I could do.

4. Howitzer

Howitzer Active Member

nice tune man! The mix sits together really nicely, its a little quiet, but for a pre-master, spot on.
    the only thing that doesnt really sit we me is the snare sound, it really pokes out in the mix. While its not harsh, personally I dont think it's a good fit for the liquid sound youre producing.

5. JocklawUS

JocklawUS New Member

Hey, thanks for your input and I appreciate the nice words. By poking out, did you mean that the snare is a bit loud? Or that the sample itself just isn't fitting?

6. Laney UK

Laney UK Member

I was initially tempted to post the same thing about the snare (not fitting rather than any production issue), but after listening to the track a handful of times, I've come to decide I do actually like it. Any chance of posting up a longer version of the tune?

James

7. Zeal

Zeal Ohm/C2D/Dark Asylum/Ennex

Really nice vibes man
    The tunes just got no weight really. Its pretty clean though
    Really needs to be heavier all around though.
    The snare is a little annoying after a while, a shorter snappier one would probably suite it better

Thats a wicked tune though man, the vocal is really nice.

Great work

8. JocklawUS

JocklawUS New Member

Thanks a bunch, guys. The full track isn't complete yet - I'm still adding the final touches, which is why I posted here to get some insight before finishing it. I'll see what I can do to the snare without changing it too much. I personally think its fitting but I agree that it could be short and snappier, so I'm gonna see what I can do.

9. Howitzer

Howitzer Active Member

tbh it sounds like youre compressing the snare after reverb, it gives it that hollow sounding tail. A bit of surgical EQ could work wonders on it, or a transient shaper, or both!
    I do agree with the previous comment on the bass, its really smooth, maybe too smooth. Have you tried adding a bit more grit or opening up the cutoff on it some more?