Jobs in music

santos

Easy all, i'm looking to get a job/career in music and was just wondering if anyone on here was doing the same, already involved and has any advice about where to start, positions available etc

Nice one

working in a record shop would b the first thing that comes to mind........or may b goin to college to learn music (engineerin ect) or doing both.

i did a music technology course then a media tech course, i am a broadcast engineer at a TV comp now, this involves both video and sound engineering,

but at the same time i was fortunate, there are lads who did better then me at uni still hunting for jobs 2 years on, i was put forward by my tutor...even tho i did well and i know my stuff the term "not what you know its who ya know" springs to mind.

i would get on a course and then pester companies to take you on as work experience for a few weeks at a time, get experience in the field you want to work in, you prob wont get paid but you cant put a price on experince on your CV. all the lads i work with have done it and i did it n all. it will also get you contacts.

work at it and it will come mate.

hope this helps

Last edited:
i did a music technology course then a media tech course, i am a broadcast engineer at a TV comp now, this involves both video and sound engineering,

but at the same time i was fortunate, there are lads who did better then me at uni still hunting for jobs 2 years on, i was put forward by my tutor...even tho i did well and i know my stuff the term "not what you know its who ya know" springs to mind.

i would get on a course and then pester companies to take you on as work experience for a few weeks at a time, get experience in the field you want to work in, you prob wont get paid but you cant put a price on experince on your CV. all the lads i work with have done it and i did it n all. it will also get you contacts.

work at it and it will come mate.

Thats sick.. Congrats..

I'm thinking of droppin out of college for the rest of this year as im stuck doing sport as i couldnt choose what else to do.. But i want to come back next year to do music tech!

What's the role of sound engineer? I always hear MC's calling for engineer! What's involed in sound engineering? Is it hard to learn? I often thought about geting into sound engineering. Thanks for any info :)

i would reckomend trying to get a job as an AV Technician i did it for 2 years and it can lead to things related to music such as sound engineering etc. once you get involved in running conferences and also home\business entertainment sytems, is really good experience.. i really enjoyed it. i worked for a Shop in a village that sold TV's and Sound systems. But most shops like that have big contracts. Just a thought for you mate,.

My brother trained as a sound engineer a few years ago... he's been working in pubs since then.

It's a fucking tough road, everyone wants to do and because of that, chances are there are gonna be people better than you doing it aswell. Gotta really bite the bullet and fucking keen it if you wanna make it.

working in a record shop would b the first thing that comes to mind........or may b goin to college to learn music (engineerin ect) or doing both.

This.

ive worked in a record shop for a year or so now, onli do weekends kos i have a job in the week aswell but it gives you a wikid insight to the scene and can lean you towards other things such as enginerin or promoting! :D

cheers for the great response people, good to hear theres others out there in the same situation, definatly going to look into working at a record store, would be heavy to work in blackmarkets shop, i think spot on with the networking part, going to look into work experience aswel. big ups

poor sound engineers haha, they get so much stick. the sound engineer who did my last set ended up getting a smack from one of my mates who was mc'ing cuz he kept fucking up the volume levels. poor fucker, turnt out he wasnt really cut for the job and was only used to doing indie bands and stuff.

i definately wouldnt want that job!

Back
Top Bottom