Jammy & Mish Mash - Oil Rig (Our first ever tune!)

Smooth, a little lack luster but none the less, a good track. What do you think about your song?

sounds are kool, break is wikid, its got the makings of sumthing good, but it needs allot more atmosphere, sparkly bits and variation to bring it alive, nice start tho! by first track, do you mean you have no experience producing? if so, great first track, production is pretty clear, bass culd be beefier

Cheers for the feedback!

I agree with both of you 100%. We tried to get it finished quickly before we both went back to uni so it hasn't had a massive amount of time put into it. Hopefully over the summer we'll work on it a bit more and try to give it a bit more variation and energy.

In terms of production, Jammy did all the technical bits on Cubase and I would give suggestions of what I thought would sound good, and what needed changing and stuff like that, as I've never actually used any production software.

In 2 months I'll have finished uni and then I'm gunna try and really get into the production side of things.

I think lackluster is definitely the word, it needs a few extra bits and pieces to give it more character maybe.

With production I've been mucking around with cubase for just under a year now so definitely a bit of production experience in the bag but this is the first full track produced as of yet.

I think your right about the bass needing to be beefier. I think the sub levels about right, I had to turn it down after Mish Mash played it out at Bacchus and the subwoofer was having to work overtime but the bass mids could use some work. Any tips for achieving this? I might put some compression on the bass bus and see what happens.

Cheers for the comments!

I think lackluster is definitely the word, it needs a few extra bits and pieces to give it more character maybe.

With production I've been mucking around with cubase for just under a year now so definitely a bit of production experience in the bag but this is the first full track produced as of yet.

I think your right about the bass needing to be beefier. I think the sub levels about right, I had to turn it down after Mish Mash played it out at Bacchus and the subwoofer was having to work overtime but the bass mids could use some work. Any tips for achieving this? I might put some compression on the bass bus and see what happens.

Cheers for the comments!

personally I would use some more automated/flo'd FX to fill the sound up a bit, boost the midrange to get the detail out, and run thru all the layers with plenty of notch eq, esp around the kick/snare freqz and low mid-range, then add gentle (or not so) compression to each layer till its tight, then more gentle compression on the bass buss.

You could also split the bass off into further channels and give each channel seperate FX for extra beef, space and dirt, if you are feeling adventurous, lots of filters morphing the sound about across the phrases

the sub working over-time...did you hi-pass your bass at 40Hz-ish? (depending on the subs main body) may need a 2-pass on there, do it before you add compression, also put a spec-analyzer on your master out to see whats going on in the sub-sub range, those very low freqz can make it difficult to compress a bass line to perfection and will pull the midrange right back into the mix the more you try to compress

personally I would use some more automated/flo'd FX to fill the sound up a bit, boost the midrange to get the detail out, and run thru all the layers with plenty of notch eq, esp around the kick/snare freqz and low mid-range, then add gentle (or not so) compression to each layer till its tight, then more gentle compression on the bass buss.

You could also split the bass off into further channels and give each channel seperate FX for extra beef, space and dirt, if you are feeling adventurous, lots of filters morphing the sound about across the phrases

the sub working over-time...did you hi-pass your bass at 40Hz-ish? (depending on the subs main body) may need a 2-pass on there, do it before you add compression, also put a spec-analyzer on your master out to see whats going on in the sub-sub range, those very low freqz can make it difficult to compress a bass line to perfection and will pull the midrange right back into the mix the more you try to compress

not_worthy.gif

Cheers for the advice man I'll give that stuff a go! We did put two high passes on the master at about 30Hz and the analyser didn't show anything too wild in the really low end. I might give your technique of high passing the sub before compression though, what's the advantage of this?

Here's the version Mish Mash played out for comparison, I reckon it sounds better than the original version posted, apart from the problem with the bass:

yes yes! very nice track, love this vibe. i tell you what it could do with a sweeping long atmosphere over the top, for use when it drops and changes, it integrates the sections better. white noise or something more lively. when i say long i mean something that fades over like 8 bars or more you know??

eg. in the track ive just made i used alot of reverb on a white noise sound so it fades out, and then bounced it back in reversed over the top for a 16 bar loop that fades out then fades back in if u catch my drift..

sick track man

Last edited:
Cheers for the advice man I'll give that stuff a go! We did put two high passes on the master at about 30Hz and the analyser didn't show anything too wild in the really low end. I might give your technique of high passing the sub before compression though, what's the advantage of this?

Here's the version Mish Mash played out for comparison, I reckon it sounds better than the original version posted, apart from the problem with the bass:

yeah sounds pretty sweet!

re EQ before compression, just to give your compressor more room to work without having to push it as hard, helps to bring out the dynamics and texture better, to my ears anyway, there are lots of opinions on the subject, but thats also why it works so well spliting bass into bandwidths, midrange can take allot more compression and keep its wobble and punch, than the sub

Back
Top Bottom