DnB James Detached - The Siren (Tech project feedback needed)

JamesDetached

Hi guys,

I haven't been about much lately on here because I've been in monk mode and had some unfortunate BS called life get in the way of things. Over the last few weeks I've been working my ass off trying to fix the areas I was having issues with.

A few days ago I said (sod this liquid shit i'll never get it down) and decided to try making something darker for once.

This is what I have so far (I've cut the intro as it's a good length) any feedback on the arrangement or mixdown or any ideas in general would be greatly appreciated!

This is really cool!!! love the arrangement of the drums, bass and sound effects, its pretty awesome stuff ere :D
I would say bring your hats forward a little bit, and just generally get a little more high end in the track, perhaps on the kick?
It aint much but i hope i helped a little bit!

This is really cool!!! love the arrangement of the drums, bass and sound effects, its pretty awesome stuff ere :D
I would say bring your hats forward a little bit, and just generally get a little more high end in the track, perhaps on the kick?
It aint much but i hope i helped a little bit!

Thanks for the feedback dude, glad you're feeling the bizarre vibe I'm going for haha. I never noticed about the hats but now that you've mentioned it they are sticking out like a sore thumb. When I get I'm gonna go to work on them and maybe try a few different ones!

FX, Atmos and Bass are working well. The percussion variations are cool too, but that kick needs to hit harder. Maybe you should try layering another kick on top to give it a top end click?

I appreciate the kind words symbiosis.

I agree with the kick now also, I think because I had heard it so many times certain elements had just blended in and I'd made them work in my mind. I'm adding a subbier (is that a word) kick to the kick and I'm going to experiment also with transient shaping to see if maybe a punchier one will work too.

Thanks for taking the time to listen and feedback.

Keen to hear it with a punchier kick. Personally, I like the hats as they are. Great variation, cool vibe. The snare snaps through the middle like a hot knife through butter but i feel the slight sparkle it has would sit better farther out.

Disclaimer: I'm a shit producer to take my words with a mountain of salt.

I really like this. Intro is a good length and builds tension nicely. Really good stereo and spacial dynamics. Your turnarounds are interesting and the way your high frequency effects pop out of the mix are refreshing to the ears when they happen. I like your choice of drum sounds, every element seems to be sitting nicely in in it's own space. I tend to overload things and have to scale back constantly but this sounds restrained and controlled in a good way. I'll follow your Soundcloud to keep up with the progress. Thanks for checking out my track mate.

Keen to hear it with a punchier kick. Personally, I like the hats as they are. Great variation, cool vibe. The snare snaps through the middle like a hot knife through butter but i feel the slight sparkle it has would sit better farther out.

Disclaimer: I'm a shit producer to take my words with a mountain of salt.

Thanks for having a listen Brex, glad you're feeling the vibe I'm going for. The snap is a little too clean now when listening back I've taken it down a few notches and put a subier kick on. Gonna have a listen to your track after this!

I really like this. Intro is a good length and builds tension nicely. Really good stereo and spacial dynamics. Your turnarounds are interesting and the way your high frequency effects pop out of the mix are refreshing to the ears when they happen. I like your choice of drum sounds, every element seems to be sitting nicely in in it's own space. I tend to overload things and have to scale back constantly but this sounds restrained and controlled in a good way. I'll follow your Soundcloud to keep up with the progress. Thanks for checking out my track mate.

Really appreciate the kind words ChinPunch. I had a problem with variation in my previous projects but with Tech it really allows me to just go wild with things haha. I'm glad everything sounds ok your side. I'm gonna keep churning this one out and add some really out there variation. Once I'm done I'll post it up for free download.

Thanks for the feedback everyone.

Back
Top Bottom