iZotope Alloy (Mixdown VST)

Neural Tech

Nuskool
VIP Junglist
http://izotope.com/products/audio/alloy/

I'm not sure if anyone has seen this, it's new to me, I just saw it in an email and I'm still picking my jaw up from the ground.

I use Ozone 3 for all of my Mastering duties, so when I saw this plug in this morning, I nearly shat.

I'm still in 'oldschool' land with Ableton Live 3, so when I use Ozone, there is latency in the mix (because version 3 doesn't have Latency Compensation)... which means I can't use Ozones' Limiter throughout my mix like I'd like to. I've been waiting for iZotope to make a smaller version of Ozone, all I wanted was their Limiter Module as a seperate VST with zero latency, and wow... they made Alloy instead:clown:

I can't wait to get my hands on this!

anyhoot, just an fyi

most comments i heard for this plug in mentioned that it does not sound like ozone. the layout and tools are pretty much the same, but the sound quality has been sacrificed in favour of zero latency.

No kiddin... :confused:

Have you actually experienced it and heard it for yourself?

no, cant say i have, thats why i mentioned reviews. but it sort of makes sense tbh. linear phase filters, and lookahead limiters are hard to make with latency suitable for live.
it may be bogus, so your best bet is to download a demo and try for yourself.

I emailed iZotope and asked them about the quality of the Limiter and they told me to dl a demo.. they also said, "The limiter contains a few of the modes from Ozone's limiter and is of a similar quality." which worries me a bit.

If I'm paying the same amount for Alloy as I did for Ozone, I'm expecting the 'same' quality, not "similar".

:dang:

I've got live 8 suite that I may sell fairly soon if you're interested?

Appreciate the offer but no thanks.

why dont you spend that money on updating Live ?

I need a new machine. My Prod machine is old, and old AMD 2.4 running XP w/SP2. Running Live 3.04 and Cubase SE 1.07.

I have WAY too much on that build to ever try updating either of those two Hosts.

My next machine will have new versions of both of those DAWs. I still haven't outgrown the AMD machine yet, which is why I haven't updated....

Plus, I'm waiting to see how W. 7 is going to turn out for M. Prod before I go building a new machine.

fair enough.
let us know if you check alloy's demo (y)

Definitely!

Yeah live 8 is fairly CPU hungry so proba not the best idea.

No kidding? I hope it has no issues running on a Quad 4.0.

What are you running you on?

Version 3.04 runs like a kitten on my old single 2.4. Since I bounce everything to audio and don't run too many effects in my mix except for Ozone on the master, I can usually get up to 20+ audio tracks which is all I ever need.

I've recently upgraded to an i7 Quad Core iMac so it has no probs currently although I'm all Logic now, hence trying to sell Live. :) Prior to the new system I was running it on an 07 Macbook Pro. 7 ran sweet, 8 has been a little buggy so far but they're still updating. My licenses include 6 and 7 [Full] and also 8 [Suite].

Let me know if you change your mind, I'm open to offers. :)

Cool beans, I appreciate it. I'll buy my own license straight from Ableton when the time comes though.

Mac eh... eek, I can't imagine... 90% of my badass free softsynths and VSTs wouldn't run on a Mac.

I'm curious: how many audio tracks can you run on Logic on your new Quad Mac? 40+? 80+?

I have no idea what's capable with todays hardware since I've been on this old AMD 2.4 for sooo long (since '04).

When I get my new machine, I'm sure it'll be nice not having to worry about rendering every little thing just to save CPU, lol.

im curious reading all this stuff about people going on about peoples CPU and specs of their computers, is anyone else in the situation of having a pretty shitty computer or laptop, as i am, (1gig ram, xp sp3, amd piece of shit, 1.81ghz thingy, dont actually know much about shit like this..) and is fine with how their DAW runs?

Hmmm, didn't knew that Alloy VST, I'm using Ozone4 pretty much, so maybe check it out sometime.

Back
Top Bottom