Ivy Lab, Calibre, Alix Perez, Spectrasoul, D-Bridge samples???

thedjnifty

VIP Junglist
Ez people,

So I was just reading through a thread on Ivy Lab - Oblique, where the samples they used from this tune http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ce9HOMTc8nQ were mentioned...

I'm a big fan of the sampling of the likes of Ivy Lab, Calibre, old Alix Perez, Spectrasoul, D-Bridge etc., where it's normally some sort of real live instrument that's been sampled and manipulated, and obviously you can pick up these kinds of samples in the kind of tunes Ivy Lab sampled for Oblique...

But unfortunately I've never really got into this kind of music that these artists would typically look to sample... so I have no real knowledge of where to start looking...

So I wondered if anyone could list me some artists, albums, tunes to check out that have great sampling potential in a similar style to the above?

Nice one!

So I wondered if anyone could list me some artists, albums, tunes to check out that have great sampling potential in a similar style to the above?

I know this is possibly the most unhelpful answer ever, but when it comes to it you will have to look for yourself if you want samples that haven't been used by loads of other producers.
People can probably give you tips where to start, but there's no point sampling the same tune that fifty other guys have already done if you want to stand out :P

Anyway, for the more liquid stuff your best bets are jazz and maybe blues style records.
Look for the cheap, yet obscure and forgotten CDs and records at the back of charity shops and at car boot sales and stuff.
Try not to pick something too recent, and if you do find something, maybe try chopping it up and rearranging so it doesn't sound totally the same as the original.

pretty much waht attire said. most samples come from motown music, or bluesy bits, but there are others that use bits from metal. I think you need to look back at the music YOU like, and dig around in there, that way it will be a representation of your taste, not what someone else likes! Thats the key to being individual, which is important these days

Nice one guys, I get what ya saying and I'm 100% for originality, I guess more what I was after was the names of artists that I can check out who produce similar music to the tune Ivy Lab sampled the rhodes from for Oblique, but the problem I find with a lot of jazz / blues records is that instruments are rarely soloed meaning it's difficult to pick out a clean sample from them, so maybe if you know artists that tend to produce more sparser tracks? But you're right, guess I just need to get crate diggin!

Nice one guys, I get what ya saying and I'm 100% for originality, I guess more what I was after was the names of artists that I can check out who produce similar music to the tune Ivy Lab sampled the rhodes from for Oblique, but the problem I find with a lot of jazz / blues records is that instruments are rarely soloed meaning it's difficult to pick out a clean sample from them, so maybe if you know artists that tend to produce more sparser tracks? But you're right, guess I just need to get crate diggin!

you could try going on the whosampled website, then find artists your favourite artist sampled. Then listen to some off their other music or music from the same era/ genre on youtube till you find something useable.

you could try going on the whosampled website, then find artists your favourite artist sampled. Then listen to some off their other music or music from the same era/ genre on youtube till you find something useable.

Fully agree here. Whosampled is really helpful.

Back
Top Bottom