I've been asked to play a house party...

DankerThanDanson

Retired pitcher
VIP Junglist
Hello all,

So far I've been strictly a vinyl DJ.. but, I've been asked to play a house party. I reluctantly agreed.

I asked them to give me a list of the music they want to hear.. And I'm planning on doing a vinyl set of DnB as well as playing out what they would like to hear: hip hop, pop, and house.

The party isn't until January, so I have some time to get things in order.

My question is, should I buy a DJ controller? Or, just buy Traktor?

I read the Sticky..but, I still have some questions.

Has anyone actually used the vinyl emulators? How would you rate them?

It's a pretty informal gig, but, I still don't want to come off like a complete wanker. Thanks guys.

Thanks DeeGun. I have a MacBook, that should work for what I need to do. and I'll have to look around for a controller with a soundcard. Thanks again.

Controller plus Laptop and a random DJ software, no need for Traktor. Make sure the controller has a built in soundcard. You can get them for 50 bucks.

I have no experience doing all digital. I'm going to practice for the next few weeks. But, I can beat match on vinyl. I'm under the impression that if you already know how to do that, working a digital controller will be a piece of cake. Would you agree with that?

Well..yes. I have only used digital in a basic way tho, loading tune a - sync - look for a good point to start the mix, maybe loop first, mix. Fiddling a couple of knobs :teeth:

Well..yes. I have only used digital in a basic way tho, loading tune a - sync - look for a good point to start the mix, maybe loop first, mix. Fiddling a couple of knobs :teeth:

Oh I'll be twisting on some knobs that night hahaha.

Thx tho, I'm pretty stoked for this. Playing a set at a club is fun too but this will be more informal and I can play allll night.

Don't be too confident :teeth:

Playing music you're not that much into can be a massive pain in the arse.

It happened two times that I had to leave through a fire exit :lol:

Lol, I've got Teach Me How To Dougie on Vinyl. It's my only rap vinyl. Wonder if they'll notice if I just play that all night.

haha, should be fun, college age people, just looking to dance their asses off. Should be a good time.

"my friends showing up with more music later" is a quick and easy way to get annoying people out of your ear lol

i wouldn't bother with turntables and vinyl for a house party, probably more hassle than it's worth.
been thinking of getting a controller for messing about and was eyeing this, built in soundcard, serato, relatively cheap :shrug:
https://www.numark.com/product/mixtrack-pro-3

I'd recommend this, I used it for about 2 years as a starter controller after I got the first version and have to say I was really impressed with it

Mini set I made with a controller that smashed it:

Get by - Delta Heavy
Flashing Lights - Chase & Status
Time - Chase & Status ft. Delilah
I remember - Culture Shock
Get with it - tantrum desire
Hold on - Sub Focus
LOVE - blackout (Hamilton remix)
Take me away - Dj Skt (Andy c remix)
Overdrive - Gecko (matrix & futurebound remix)
All lies - Brooke's brothers remix
Haunting - Andy C
Dead Limit - Noisia Upbeats
Long Gone - Calyx & Teebee

Would up it but I'm having a hum sound with my interface

flashing lights by chase n status! would say a controller is pretty prime for a house party due to size etc.
hope your night goes well! smash it!

Thank you. The party is tonight. I just finished practicing a house set. Lots of Kry Wolf, Disclosure, Jack Beats, Niko The Kid, Mak & Pasteman, etc.

Hoping it goes over well and I can get my name out there. They're expecting 50+ guests.

the first couple of set's i did to large audiences were at house parties - if anything the vibes there are better than clubs!
if theres a party event page make sure to post your soundcloud link on there the morn after, if they remember good music they'll be more inclined to have a gander.
sounds good dude, all the best

the first couple of set's i did to large audiences were at house parties - if anything the vibes there are better than clubs!
if theres a party event page make sure to post your soundcloud link on there the morn after, if they remember good music they'll be more inclined to have a gander.

Thanks brotha! Big up!

I played for 6 hours. Smashed it. I had to play a lot of like trap/edm/hip hop. And I was getting like 3 request per second. I had to really tune out all the background noise of people knocking into my table and being general drunkards.. as well as the constant requests. They don't understand (and you can't explain) how hard it is to transfer from a 120bpm house tune to a 75bpm rap tune. So, I eventually had to just tell them that once I started playing that kind of music again to ask for it.

But, I fucking smashed it. No doubt about it, that party was lit.. as the kids say around here. Now, everything is lit.

Tunes that stood out:
Benny Benassi - Satisfaction
AC Slater - Jack Got You Jacked (Jack Beats remix)
ODESZA - Sun Models
Waka Flocka - No Hands, (current rap anthem, "DJ turn this up, ladies this yo jam") That song got rewound prolly 5 times.
Disclosure - What's In Your Head (Mak & Pasteman remix)
DJ Snake ft. Alunageorge - You Know You Like It
MK - 17 (CamelPhat Dub)
A Trak, Disclosure, Lorde - Magnets (A-Trak remix)
My Nu Leng - Set It

I did a massive section of just dance music from like 12-2. I played rap and pop from like 9-12, then the girl's birthday hit midnight and I decimated the dance floor with tunes I actually like and tunes that are a joy to mix.

Ended it with a bunch of throwback rap and classics so they could sing along. It was massive, man. The house owners had to crowbar people out of their house at like 3:30 in the morning because they were still dancing.

Back
Top Bottom