Its a sad day...

Discussion in 'Production' started by ChekOneTwo, Jun 27, 2011.

1. ChekOneTwo

ChekOneTwo Member

Ok just wanted a bit of input, any of you using at PPC Mac?!

I've got to a stage with my production where everything seems to be progressing, I'm starting to enjoy my music a bit more. Then Logic crashes... I lose everything I've done (regardless of saves) for the weekend. All my modulation dissapears from massive...tracks get deleted...

So I thought this is a good chance for me to get to grips with producing on Ableton and I start loading some samples into the Drum sampler and I get the same crash and lose everything again.

Just wondered whether any of you had probs with Power PC's. Is it time for me to upgrade to intel...?

Good excuse to buy a new mac. Bad times as I cannot do any production at the mo fear of losing any work that I do....?

2. miszt

miszt BASSFACE Royale

if you want to use Abelton, then you may aswell buy a PC, you will get twice the power for half the price if it doesnt have a shiney white case ;) windows XP and 7 are both very stable with Ableton live (version 8.2.1+ with windows 7), Ableton is only available in 32bit at the moment, but 64bit versions of xp and 7 are good and most drivers are now well supported, pretty much all audio/midi hardware is supported

rather than doing constant saves, maybe do 10 Saves, then 1 Save As, and repeat, if your files are being corrupted, then there is another issue, are these cracked versions of the software? I know that cracked versions of Ableton 6 used to corrupt project files after 6-18months of use, heard that version 7 does aswell, anyway if you are serious about it, fork out for the real download or box for peace of mind :)

Last edited: Jun 27, 2011
  3. jimjimjim

jimjimjim oldskool

Reason has never crashed on me..... ever.
    BUT i know its not very popular with some people on here so pretend i didnt post that
    :D

4. miszt

miszt BASSFACE Royale

edit: should have been version 8.2.1+ with windows 7, i've never had a prob with any of version8 on xp

5. msmith222

msmith222 redbeard

definitely get an intel mac, zero issues with mine in over 2 years, amazing machine. more than a PC for sure, but certainly not double, and since you already are a mac owner i'm sure you know its about a lot more than just the spec sheet.

6. djdevz

djdevz Member

Same happens to me sometimes..if I don't save the sound in massive, it's pot luck whether the settings are there when I come back to it.
    But maybe that's because my version of massive is a "borrowed" version from Uncle Dave.

If everything's legit, contact support or upgrade your comp..if it's not legit, well you can't really complain too much but similar stuff happens to me and it's REALLY demotivating.

7. ChekOneTwo

ChekOneTwo Member

This is my plan of action:

Get a second hand Intel Power Mac/iMac from ebay, collect only ones are always a steal, my current Mac (regardless of issues) cost £2k to build and I managed to get it for £490 well chuffed, had to drive from Gloucestershire to Leeds but bothered for the saving.

See if that sorts the issue, some of my instruments are cracked I must be honest. My concern is when I buy the software if a new update comes out like a new version Logic 10 for example you have to forkout again. Do any of the creators, Logic, Ableton, NI give you life time updates?

I've come from Pc to Mac and wouldn't go back anymore. I'm a logic user 1st, Abelton 2nd which is why I'm going to stick with Mac. Logic is just really limitless, whilst Ableton is good, I like the synchronicity and fluidity that you get with Mac, everything just works well.

A bit ironic given my first post and Logic and ableton crashing but I'm sure I would have prob got a Blue Screen of Death, 6 virus's and a Thaiwanese boy stealing my credit card details before Ableton crashed on my PC...

...Mac Users FTW <-- ooh thats the first time I've used FTW, I feel TeenageHighSchoolAmericanLad....

---------- Post added at 14:34 ---------- Previous post was at 14:34 ----------

Its gutting right, why does it happen, do you think its purely down to having cracked software...?

8. miszt

miszt BASSFACE Royale

Ableton Live Suite has so many features, i very much doubt you would need to upgrade for a looong time, I have no idea what the planned release updates are, although i imagine they will at least go upto 8.5, and they offer free upgrades, i would expect that version 9 will be a paid upgrade, but i'm not even half way thru the features of the full suite yet, I cant see me needing anything else for at least a couple of years (i've had it now for a year and half licenced), i dont even use external plugins anymore (except Gliss for a bit of 'mastering' EQ and if i notice aliasing going on with other sounds)

9. ChekOneTwo

ChekOneTwo Member

Hmm interesting reading, miszt you are ever helpful...

10. msmith222

msmith222 redbeard

i use logic express, and the updates are free until the next number upgrade (9.1.5 to 10.0 for example), and you get a discount from the previous version. express is $199, upgrade to the next number is $99. really large upgrades requiring a new number for the version also don't happen that often - not even every year. also, previous versions don't stop working and are supported for a long time.