Is Trance The Next DnB?

dj_cuba

New Member
Messages
4
Likes
0
#1
I know many of you probably won't be fans of trance music, personally I love it (not the chart cheese obviously), but have you noticed how it seems to be going travelling towards a dnb/breakbeat direction?

John B is a well known DnB-Trance DJ on the trance circuit after his recent Mixmag CD, crossover artists like hybrid seem to be getting more popular and the whole scene has a lot more breakbeat/dnb sounds now than the conventional 4/4 sound it was always famed for.
 

Serum

Well-Known Member
VIP Junglist
Messages
2,100
Likes
153
#2
God I fucking hope it isn't

Can't stand trance or nuskool breaks
another thing about nuskool breaks: where the fuck are the breaks?
 

12 inch grinch

Active Member
VIP Junglist
Messages
1,688
Likes
0
#5
dj_cuba said:
I know many of you probably won't be fans of trance music, personally I love it (not the chart cheese obviously), but have you noticed how it seems to be going travelling towards a dnb/breakbeat direction?

John B is a well known DnB-Trance DJ on the trance circuit after his recent Mixmag CD, crossover artists like hybrid seem to be getting more popular and the whole scene has a lot more breakbeat/dnb sounds now than the conventional 4/4 sound it was always famed for.
NO :weirdo:
 

mesh

Active Member
VIP Junglist
Messages
4,398
Likes
14
#6
I guess trance might get a bit more breaky, which cant hurt it. Trancey stuff in dNb sometimes now too, but I dont predict a collision of styles or anything.
I agree with Serum about nu skool breaks, just on this. I like it more than him actually, but it seems like the experimental breaks are not in that scene. Its just a steady stepping sound, buold ups that kinda fizzle, could ne more exciting. I guess there are producers out there hiding ... somewhere
 

Ab0|2Ti0N

WHAT THE FUCK IS JUICE???
VIP Junglist
Messages
1,050
Likes
0
#8
Yah, trance/progressive house was my main music couple years ago. I started to listen to DnB first, but then trance took over. I actually started spinnin' trance before DnB. But then DnB came back to me and that's where my heart was :rosie::inlove::love: But don't get me wrong, Sasha/John Digweed/Tiesto are still top notch at what they do. Still listen to some of their old mixes i got and once in a while i'll rinse out some of that deep proggyness.
Trance and Bass :zest:
 

CoB

Pure Sanelessness
VIP Junglist
Messages
948
Likes
33
#10
eh.. its just another thing to play with with the dnb sound.. dnb changes so much every year, and doesnt seem to ever really keep too much constant. though yeah sure, there are heaps of things that are the same throughout it, but the main sounds of dnb have always been changing.
 

LDT smokem

Original Bunglist
Messages
9
Likes
0
#12
I really hope not! Trance does absolutely nothing for me, it's far too slow! The introduction of trancy elements to dnb was inevitable, i think i could come up with an example when pretty much every genre of music has been mixed with heavy drums and a tearing bass line to make a tight track, but that's only because the main elements of good dnb are still present, and lets hope for all our sakes thats as far as it goes! the last thing we need is tiesto on the line up for breakneck!

long live 180bpm!
 

Bad Ace

Close2Death
VIP Junglist
Messages
3,319
Likes
10
#13
LDT smokem said:
I really hope not! Trance does absolutely nothing for me, it's far too slow! The introduction of trancy elements to dnb was inevitable, i think i could come up with an example when pretty much every genre of music has been mixed with heavy drums and a tearing bass line to make a tight track, but that's only because the main elements of good dnb are still present, and lets hope for all our sakes thats as far as it goes! the last thing we need is tiesto on the line up for breakneck!

long live 180bpm!
amen to that :hulk:
 

dj_cuba

New Member
Messages
4
Likes
0
#14
Why are there so many negative opinions about trance?

A lot of subgenres of dance music are arrogant towards other styles but I didn't think dnb was one of them but obviously Iam wrong :(
 

LDT smokem

Original Bunglist
Messages
9
Likes
0
#15
dj_cuba said:
Why are there so many negative opinions about trance?

A lot of subgenres of dance music are arrogant towards other styles but I didn't think dnb was one of them but obviously Iam wrong :(
I happen to like all sorts of music, unfortunately trance is not one of them, it may be because I only hear the cheesy chart stuff....................But i doubt it!
 

Ab0|2Ti0N

WHAT THE FUCK IS JUICE???
VIP Junglist
Messages
1,050
Likes
0
#16
LDT smokem said:
I really hope not! Trance does absolutely nothing for me, it's far too slow! The introduction of trancy elements to dnb was inevitable, i think i could come up with an example when pretty much every genre of music has been mixed with heavy drums and a tearing bass line to make a tight track, but that's only because the main elements of good dnb are still present, and lets hope for all our sakes thats as far as it goes! the last thing we need is tiesto on the line up for breakneck!

long live 180bpm!
Yah dude, that would be a heavy night. Tiesto b2b with Andy C or someone. It would be a soldout crowd. :scally: :gaywhite:
 

mesh

Active Member
VIP Junglist
Messages
4,398
Likes
14
#17
dj_cuba said:
Why are there so many negative opinions about trance?

A lot of subgenres of dance music are arrogant towards other styles but I didn't think dnb was one of them but obviously Iam wrong :(
I pulled out Hallucinogens classic 1995 album 'Twisted' the other day, played it loud and it still rules! Since then trance got associated with young candy-ravers, useless hippies and shiny-wanky club nights, whether fairly or not I don't know.

Unfortunately the dNb scene is about as dismissive toward other dance genres as it is possible to get. Thats partly cos we got dissed or ignored for a long time before anyone even gave a fuck about us, so its a bit of a reaction to that. Its also an image thing for some as well. Once again its up to the open minded individual to choose what they wanna hear in dNB.

I prefer techno ala Luke Slater or Stacey Pullen to trance, but trancey elements will always be present in drumNbass, I'm listening to Pinball by Raiden right now and if that isnt trance techno influenced I don't know what is!!!







:miss_rep:
 

logikz

I Am Not The King
Tribal Leader
VIP Junglist
Messages
11,080
Likes
2,980
#19
the drum and bass scene is unique, one of a kind in the world because there isnt a commercial aspect of it, they tried that back in 95 and it didnt work. i mean it found its crowd and kept growing ever since, but the real money-making-populistic-machinery that you can find in any genre today isnt really there. i dont deny that there has been a few chart tunes but they are no more than you can count on one hand. i think this plays a part in the mentality of the scene, with the slagging off trance and calling anything poppy sell-out and this clownstep thing and that. Drum and bass will continue to grow though and i think its pretty clear where were headed.
 

dj_cuba

New Member
Messages
4
Likes
0
#20
mesh said:
I pulled out Hallucinogens classic 1995 album 'Twisted' the other day, played it loud and it still rules! Since then trance got associated with young candy-ravers, useless hippies and shiny-wanky club nights, whether fairly or not I don't know.

Unfortunately the dNb scene is about as dismissive toward other dance genres as it is possible to get. Thats partly cos we got dissed or ignored for a long time before anyone even gave a fuck about us, so its a bit of a reaction to that. Its also an image thing for some as well. Once again its up to the open minded individual to choose what they wanna hear in dNB.

I prefer techno ala Luke Slater or Stacey Pullen to trance, but trancey elements will always be present in drumNbass, I'm listening to Pinball by Raiden right now and if that isnt trance techno influenced I don't know what is!!!







:miss_rep:
I don't understand why the dnb scene is bitter about being ignored? All underground forms of music are ingored, simply because they are not commercial, so the media aren't interested. Being part of the underground is a GOOD thing! It feels good to be into a special type of music that you love and know that only others like you will enjoy.

Trance is viewed on the whole as being commercial shit by other genres. This is only because of all the wanky pop-cheese chart crap that the commercial media have exploited. They have taken the worst elements of trance and have turned it into a mass market for 8 year old teenyboppers who have gotten board of Westlife. This is killing the trance scene and unfortunately for the un-educated this is all they know of trance music. Real trance is a million miles away!
 
Top