Is this one of the best neurofunk productions ever?

Discussion in 'Drum & Bass' started by Sigi Feij, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Sigi Feij

Sigi Feij New Member

this song i just cant stop listening to it OMG its so fucking dope

enjoy ;P and let me know what you think

2. overdazed

overdazed Real O.G.

i wouldnt go that far ,, but its cool once it gets into it

3. miszt

miszt BASSFACE Royale

quiet like it, i like that it progresses thru diffrent styles, one of the best? dont think so tbh, not even close

4. CheesyPOOF5

CheesyPOOF5 Member

Really cool tune. Calling it the best... that's a bit bold - definitely going into my collection though. I love songs that progress like this.

5. DeeGun

DeeGun Church of Krust

Wow..your second best ever thread:censored:

No Neurofunk.

6. Sigi Feij

Sigi Feij New Member

so what do you guys think is the best? ofcourse a hard to answer question but im intrested

7. miszt

miszt BASSFACE Royale

impossible to answer imo, but pretty much everything by Noisia, Spor & Xilent

8. Mikkandro

Mikkandro COPENHAGEN

Block Control by Noisia.

9. Upakut

Upakut CEO - Kevlar Beats Recordings

ah, been wondered what was the genre called Neurofunk, is it the more techy side like Ed Rush, virus etc. who are the main artists. People creating genre names like feaces

10. DjTiesticles

DjTiesticles Well-Known Member

Techstep and Neurofunk are entirely different. So many fucking sub genres in dnb that it does get confusing

11. Upakut

Upakut CEO - Kevlar Beats Recordings

Exactly, If someone can give me examples from both genres would help a great deal

12. DjTiesticles

DjTiesticles Well-Known Member

Wikipedia is your friend here:

Techstep:

One of the first incarnations of the techstep sound is Dj Trace's remix of T-Power's "Mutant Jazz" which appeared on S.O.U.R. Recordings in 1995. This remix, co-produced by Ed Rush and Nico, features the trademark stepping beats and distorted Reese bassline which would become symbolic of the techstep genre. The Torque compilation (No U Turn), Breakage LP (Penny Black 1997), and Platinum Breakz 1, 2, and MDZ 01 ( Metalheadz) feature some selections of techstep tracks.

Some of the original techstep producers eventually matured into the neurofunk style. Early pioneers include Trace, Ed Rush & Optical, Nico, Fierce, The Panacea,[9] Teebee, Dom & Roland, Doc Scott and Technical Itch. Moving Shadow, Metalheadz, No U-Turn Records, Emotif, Position Chrome and Renegade Hardware were important labels in the development of the style.

Now, the scene is led by artists such as Noisia, Spor, Phace, Apex and Black Sun Empire.

I don't agree with the last sentence though. None of those artists would be classified as Techstep in my world

Neurofunk:

Konflict formatted Optical's style into a harsher, stripped-down form with a stronger techno influence at the forefront of their tracks such as "The Beckoning" (released on Renegade Hardware in 1999). In 2002, Sinthetix, Cause 4 Concern, and Silent Witness & Break took Konflict's hard edge, minimalist approach with emphasis on colder, precision beat engineering, harder stabs over the bassline, sharper mixdowns and simultaneously, hastening the advancement of the style's sound design between the periods of 2002 and 2005 along with Gridlok, Corrupt Souls, Noisia, Phace, and The Upbeats. Gridlok also worked on sampling big band horn arrangements during his time on Violence Recordings, bridging the gap between the subgenre's techno and jazz influences yet, maintaining the elements of classic neurofunk dissonance and minimalism in his music.

As the subgenre developed, with artists starting as purists and later changing their musical direction into broader musical settings, so new artists have emerged to fill the vacuum, re-energizing the sound by taking production back to its roots.

Between 2007 and 2008, a decade after the pioneering artists first established neurofunk's technical soundscape, the style was enhanced with a series of diverse, forward thinking debut albums set to redefine its concept production with the rough-cut antics of Break The System by Gridlok (Project 51/CD/2007); the minimal techno-funk fueled Psycho by Phace (Subtitles Music/2007); the blending of rhythmic guitar chord progressions on Black Lotus by Mindscape (Citrus Recordings/2007); the melodic experiments of My Light Year by Telemetrik (BSE Recordings/2008), the highly conceptual and intensive Nobody's Out There by The Upbeats (Bad Taste Recordings/2007), and the innovative Black Box singles compilation (Syndrome Audio Recordings/CD/2008), featuring various artists and highlighting remixes by second and third-wave producers, among the second-wave, Phace and Misanthrop contrasting the rhythmic grit of third-wave producers Chook, Dose & Menace.

Silent Witness & Break began producing their groundbreaking tracks when recruited by legendary No U-Turn, label founder/producer Nico who released their first singles "Contact" and "Higher Rates" (No U-Turn Recordings/2002 and 2003) with Silent Witness eventually establishing his own DNAudio imprint with partner, DJ Squire as an outlet for his music alongside Break's and Survival's. UK's DNAUDIO crew have since combined both techstep and neurofunk subgenres as their signature approach to drum and bass with Break often using stark, amen influenced breakbeats in his solo tunes. By mid 2008, Silent Witness, Break & Survival released their first album, Hard Times on DNAudio Recordings composed of powerful breakbeats and back beats, upfront low-end basslines and soaring, futuristic production.

13. Labrat

Labrat Active Member

honestly the tune is produced well but is not memorable, sounds very digital to me, too much massive vst. brave claim but its no where near close to the best. in no way is it any different to anything that is already released. the best producers like noisia and phace dont really make these standard tunes as much, everything they do is taking the sound to a new direction which spawns copycats like this who will never be remembered. even though i wish sometimes noisia would stop making their over the top sound and make some good techstep like lockjaw i dont think they will get back to basics like that because as producers they can do anything.

14. evermind

evermind Broken Symmetry

I don't know that many Neurofunk tunes... But I really like Remain/The Rupture by Imprintz.