Is this just a rumour?

Don't know if it's 17hz, but theoretically, yes, everything has got a resonating frequency.

That's why you can break glasses, stop shopping trolleys, the brown noise, the pink noise...

Etc

I heard once you could hard boil an egg in front of a big rig playing the right frequencies. Always thought that one was rubbish. Interesting...would bring a new meaning to 'murder dem'

I remember hearing a while back a 19 year old had a heart attack because of the bass at Koko in camden, he hadn't been on anything else, not even drinking.

So better remember to duck 17hz outta my tunes

I remember hearing a while back a 19 year old had a heart attack because of the bass at Koko in camden, he hadn't been on anything else, not even drinking.

So better remember to duck 17hz outta my tunes

Well some filters don't allow you to go lower than 26hz.
But I didn't know you could stop shopping trolleys :o

This might explain why I'm not getting enough feedback on my tune.

Or maybe I just suck. .:lol:

---------- Post added at 17:06 ---------- Previous post was at 16:56 ----------

From wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrasound

Infrasonic 17 Hz tone experiment
On May 31, 2003, a team of UK researchers held a mass experiment where they exposed some 700 people to music laced with soft 17 Hz sine waves played at a level described as "near the edge of hearing", produced by an extra-long stroke sub-woofer mounted two-thirds of the way from the end of a seven-meter-long plastic sewer pipe. The experimental concert (entitled Infrasonic) took place in the Purcell Room over the course of two performances, each consisting of four musical pieces. Two of the pieces in each concert had 17 Hz tones played underneath. In the second concert, the pieces that were to carry a 17 Hz undertone were swapped so that test results would not focus on any specific musical piece. The participants were not told which pieces included the low-level 17 Hz near-infrasonic tone. The presence of the tone resulted in a significant number (22%) of respondents reporting anxiety, uneasiness, extreme sorrow, nervous feelings of revulsion or fear, chills down the spine and feelings of pressure on the chest.[17][18] In presenting the evidence to British Association for the Advancement of Science, Professor Richard Wiseman said, "These results suggest that low frequency sound can cause people to have unusual experiences even though they cannot consciously detect infrasound. Some scientists have suggested that this level of sound may be present at some allegedly haunted sites and so cause people to have odd sensations that they attribute to a ghost—our findings support these ideas."[19]

[edit] The Ghost in the Machine
Research by Vic Tandy, a lecturer at Coventry University, suggested that an infrasonic signal of 19 Hz might be responsible for some ghost sightings. Tandy was working late one night alone in a supposedly haunted laboratory at Warwick, when he felt very anxious and could detect a grey blob out of the corner of his eye. When Tandy turned to face the grey blob, there was nothing.

The following day, Tandy was working on his fencing foil, with the handle held in a vice. Although there was nothing touching it, the blade started to vibrate wildly. Further investigation led Tandy to discover that the extractor fan in the lab was emitting a frequency of 18.98 Hz, very close to the resonant frequency of the eye given as 18 Hz by NASA.[20] This was why Tandy had seen a ghostly figure—it was an optical illusion caused by his eyeballs resonating. The room was exactly half a wavelength in length, and the desk was in the centre, thus causing a standing wave which was detected by the foil.[21]

Tandy investigated this phenomenon further and wrote a paper entitled The Ghost in the Machine[22]. Tandy carried out a number of investigations at various sites believed to be haunted, including the basement of the Tourist Information Bureau next to Coventry Cathedral[23][24] and Edinburgh Castle.[25][26]

Why, cos everyone that listened to your tune died? If I didn't listen to your tune it's cos there's too many and I only listen to the peeps that stick around and post a bit in the forum. I might go look for it now. 32 posts. ok I'll have alisten.

I heard read an article about that kid (dunno if it was the same) dying from "bass music", but I believe he had some sort of heart condition to begin with.

In either case, this is rather extreme. All this resonating stuff...

---------- Post added at 17:06 ---------- Previous post was at 16:56 ----------

From wikipedia: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infrasound

Infrasonic 17 Hz tone experiment
On May 31, 2003, a team of UK researchers held a mass experiment where they exposed some 700 people to music laced with soft 17 Hz sine waves played at a level described as "near the edge of hearing", produced by an extra-long stroke sub-woofer mounted two-thirds of the way from the end of a seven-meter-long plastic sewer pipe. The experimental concert (entitled Infrasonic) took place in the Purcell Room over the course of two performances, each consisting of four musical pieces. Two of the pieces in each concert had 17 Hz tones played underneath. In the second concert, the pieces that were to carry a 17 Hz undertone were swapped so that test results would not focus on any specific musical piece. The participants were not told which pieces included the low-level 17 Hz near-infrasonic tone. The presence of the tone resulted in a significant number (22%) of respondents reporting anxiety, uneasiness, extreme sorrow, nervous feelings of revulsion or fear, chills down the spine and feelings of pressure on the chest.[17][18] In presenting the evidence to British Association for the Advancement of Science, Professor Richard Wiseman said, "These results suggest that low frequency sound can cause people to have unusual experiences even though they cannot consciously detect infrasound. Some scientists have suggested that this level of sound may be present at some allegedly haunted sites and so cause people to have odd sensations that they attribute to a ghost—our findings support these ideas."[19]

[edit] The Ghost in the Machine
Research by Vic Tandy, a lecturer at Coventry University, suggested that an infrasonic signal of 19 Hz might be responsible for some ghost sightings. Tandy was working late one night alone in a supposedly haunted laboratory at Warwick, when he felt very anxious and could detect a grey blob out of the corner of his eye. When Tandy turned to face the grey blob, there was nothing.

The following day, Tandy was working on his fencing foil, with the handle held in a vice. Although there was nothing touching it, the blade started to vibrate wildly. Further investigation led Tandy to discover that the extractor fan in the lab was emitting a frequency of 18.98 Hz, very close to the resonant frequency of the eye given as 18 Hz by NASA.[20] This was why Tandy had seen a ghostly figure—it was an optical illusion caused by his eyeballs resonating. The room was exactly half a wavelength in length, and the desk was in the centre, thus causing a standing wave which was detected by the foil.[21]

Tandy investigated this phenomenon further and wrote a paper entitled The Ghost in the Machine[22]. Tandy carried out a number of investigations at various sites believed to be haunted, including the basement of the Tourist Information Bureau next to Coventry Cathedral[23][24] and Edinburgh Castle.[25][26]

good read... thanks bud!

Don't know if it's 17hz, but theoretically, yes, everything has got a resonating frequency.

That's why you can break glasses, stop shopping trolleys, the brown noise, the pink noise...

Etc

brown noise and the brown note are two separate and distinctly different things, you know that right.
id be quite interested to know what the pink note did

brown noise and the brown note are two separate and distinctly different things, you know that right.
id be quite interested to know what the pink note did

yeah sorry I meant note, forgot about all that colour in sound stuff

the pink note, around 33-34hz is apparently the resonating frequency of the clit, that's why on an old ministry of sound cd I've got, there's a 25 minute track of just that tone called Honey Pleaser

Last edited:
Bass killing people? Next thing will be Derek Acorah setting up sub speakers with low frequency tone generators in castles... Ludicrous!

Back
Top Bottom