Is there much point taking up DJing again if I don't plan to play live?

Rogue Cypher

I realized that since I stopped listening to dnb it brought on mind crushing depression which made me wanna die alot of the time.

I actually didn't realize why but I stopped listening to all music quite a while ago and my life lost nearly all meaning, I lost my soul in short.

Like a poor soulless carcass I rummaged around my HD and happened upon some dnb I had left on there catching dust. To my joy it immediately revitalized me like no other.

So I am thinking of getting back into mixing again now.

Do you guys reckon there is much point doing it if I don't plan on playing out? It's a possibility as I did once or twice in the past. I guess I am asking are there other ways to enjoy DJing without playing out? I know I used to enjoy DJing on my own but it was always with a mind on playing live to people.

I might play out live in future but not in the meantime.

Go for it! Build up your technical ability and go from there. If you still have the skills, start sending out demo's to local promoters and see where it takes you. To get into the big time, you'll probably have to start producing and have tunes under your belt though.

Well that's my main point. It's not so much to do with not being sure I could 'make it' in the biz but rather that I have other priorities which mean I wouldn't want to go all out if you see what I mean.

Playing in small local venues (for free) every now and then would be cool though I think.

I'm interested though, since I've been off the dnb scene for a while...is there still ways to get exposure of your mixes without playing live...I mean like posting on t'internet and that? I know it is done but I'm asking more is there much recognition for that sort of thing? I'm not talking 'I'm so cool!' recognition :D but rather is there much of an audience for people to enjoy/appreciate it in that fashion?

Last edited:
well if the music makes you feel good about yourself, then yeh, do it - just for the enjoyment of doing it, and the fulfilment of being able to do something quite different.
and like Smarty says, just send mixes to local promoters/bars etc and see if they would want to give you a set every now and then or something

play the music mate, fuck everything else, you already know how ya gona feel if you dont...playing out has fuck all todo with it really, thats just the icin on the cake

word up :).

It's funny I have tried to ignore dnb (whilst getting caught up in the ratrace) but it comes back to haunt me if I do for too long :).

"Just when I thought that I was out they pull me back in." :D

If you enjoy spinning and making mixes then why not? All about this anyway and anything else is just a bonus, i have never played out but enjoy giving mixes to mates etc, hope to one day soon but its not why i do it at all.

i will never stop mixing now i started even if i never play out! i just love zoning our from everything fior a few hours!

My mixing is awful, but I still have loads of fun when im on my decks! ..as long as your having a good time ..it's all good! :D

To be honest playing out is only a reeally small part of mixing for me, and even if d&b didn't exist in clubs i still couldn't get by without mixing. Nothing like having a massive long mix through the night.

true. would love to do that more often, but my neighbours are fuckin cunts!

if it's what you wanna do then fucking do it mate!
People have various hobbies from model trains to collecting fine wine. Why can't you build up your vinyl collection and have a rinse out in your garage!

Yup, it's good to see these replies, not for the 'validation' but to get back into the spirit of things and remember why I used to do it.

Yea, that's the thing, I took it for granted when I used to mix most days that I'd come back after having had a shit day, ppl getting me down and just have a tear out on the decks and it would give me a much sought release. Cos I had it there I didn't think how much of an important thing it was.

So when I stopped mixing I'd still have those shit days and they would accumulate without a release, hence my passionate/angry OP.

yeah man carry on, it really is a great way of escaping from it all every now and then, great for taking your mind of shit.

in the words of the simpsons

''If it feels good, do it''

Back
Top Bottom