Is there any way of finding out the midi notes of audio samples?

mr meh

VIP Junglist
As above, I've sampled a few basslines from big tunes to experiment with, would be useful to know which notes are being played, also I'd like to find out the key or pitch or whatever of some of my drum samples, my sampler just automatically puts everything at 'C'

:confused:?

there is, yes. there are programs that do midi note detection of whole chords even (and render midi file with results) based on wav samples. i experimented a little with them for that seba remix compo and they are pretty spiffy.

I would say Melodyne is your way to go, it can detect almost every note and export it to MIDI. I use it mostly for editing vocals though, like today I started doing some vocal chopping for an upcoming track and cut all these little vocal hits from an acapella, re-arranged them into something more melodic and then exported it to a WAV file. Loaded that up in Melodyne and it let's you see which notes the vocals are, now you can easily check for wrong notes, like I was working in the key of D major, so had to change all my F notes into F# to make it sound a little better.

Finally when you are happy export the new audio file, and then export your MIDI data to a file straight out of Melodyne, which you can then load up in Ableton and add a synth to it, instant vocals with a synth melody playing along.. :D

there is, yes. there are programs that do midi note detection of whole chords even (and render midi file with results) based on wav samples. i experimented a little with them for that seba remix compo and they are pretty spiffy.

that sounds good - whats it called ?

Maybe Hit 'n Mix by the BBC, they claim to be able to separate chords into single notes but I found them to be not that great, however Melodyne does that trick for me flawless.

Yeah i tried out that Hit n Mix a while back but thought it was shitty

im checking out Melodyne right now, this is exactly what i need, cheers :2thumbs:

another way is to use a spectrum analyser and to look for peaks that change when the bass sound does, these indicate the note played. abletons spectrum plug in is good for this, just hover your mouse over each peak as it changes and it'll give you the note currently being played , its a little long winded listening to the same loop over and over but you will be able to extract the notes this way, can probly do it with other analysers but i just use spectrum so i'm not too sure...

if youre using fruity loops, put it in slicex, mark everything, go to 'tools' and press 'dump notes into piano roll' - or something like that. doesnt work THAT great, gives you a good starting point tho!

Back
Top Bottom