Is there a commonly recognised name for the "wonky" music Ivy Lab makes? Any other artists?

That's gonna be a good source for our wonky needs

aenxx4.gif

Hey guys, just stumbled across this thread, hope it's not too late!

I can't speak for Ivy Lab but I've always referred to this style of music and the particular styles we play at the 20/20 parties as falling under the broader genre title 'beats' , although we often draw for tunes outside of that too, like footwork, rap and dnb/jungle, for example. 'Beats' is a term that's been around as an umbrella term for quite a long time, and has usually been used to refer to the various evolutions of left of centre instrumental hip hop, from Coldcut and early Ninja Tune/Mowax tunes in the 90s, to DJ Shadow, to guys like Danny Breaks, to Prefuse 73, to J Dilla/Madlib, to the LA Beat Scene (Flying Lotus, etc), to Dabrye, to Hudson Mohawke etc, to the more UK/soundsystem influenced tunes like Om Unit/Kromestar/Danny Scrilla to some of the Soulection/Future Bass producers etc etc. I've never really spoken to them about it, but I think Ivy Lab refer to their particular style of beats as 'halftime' as their background is more from dnb and the drum patterns of some of these tunes are half time compared to traditional dnb, but we've also referred to that style as 'beats' too.

If you want to check out more I record a regular podcast you can find on mixcloud: http://www.mixcloud.com/jon1st. Also check out Tim Parker's NTS show, Kutmah's show on NTS (more rooted in the LA sound though super diverse), and if you'd like a bit of history check out A Boombap Continuum mix by Kper, Clockwork and 2tall (now Om Unit), which goes through evolutions of beats year by year until the late 2000s.

Safe!

Jon

Last edited:
Nice insightful first post jon1st! :welcome:

Seeing as you mentioned Danny Breaks, he made jungle/dnb in the 90s and later moved onto hip hop/beats and turntablism didn't he? Yet no one considers his hip hop/beats to be half-time dnb (I'm quite sure Hype made some hip hop things in a similar vain, at the same time, will have to check again), so why the Ivy Lab lot? I'm pretty sure Sabre doesn't give a shit about genre tags/labels, read that somewhere. It's only things like Mixmag and Youtube channels like the one encounter's posted that's insisted on calling it 'halftime' and conflating it with music that is inspired by different styles of music altogether (e.g that Vromm tune, totally different to this stuff).

Not only is that a very 'dnb-centric' thing to do, it's also re-writing or at least re-defining what half-time dnb was established to mean (e.g a bunch of Amit's tunes). Yet the two have very little in common if you ask me

Back
Top Bottom