Is the new Wilkinson album worth purchasing?

I would preview it on Spotify then buy it depending on how much I enjoyed it. From memory, I dismissed it as pop shit at first, then upon revisiting it, gained a little bit of respect but would not likely buy more than four songs

I would preview it on Spotify then buy it depending on how much I enjoyed it. From memory, I dismissed it as pop shit at first, then upon revisiting it, gained a little bit of respect but would not likely buy more than four songs

I went on a spending spree last night, haha. I bought Synergy, an Alix Perez & Spectrasoul EP. Alix Perez' 2nd LP. A couple songs off Survival's new LP this year. That one Wilkinson song and the Nu:Logic LP.

I thought to myself, hey, you put in 40 hours this week, you have a little extra cash in the bank account, and you need some new tunes.

I don't use Spotify. I'm not against it, I just don't use it. I make playlists on YouTube, but, it sounds like I may want to crossover to Spotify. And I buy most of my music on Itunes.

As for your 'pop shit' characterization, that could very well be true. Someone else who has fallen in that pitfall is Metrik. I had very high hopes for Metrik's first Hospital release, but, I was disappointed. There's a couple songs on there, but, nothing is equal to the raw power of a tune like Engine Room. I love in Engine Room how the basslines takes on the role of melody. Anyway, have a good one!

I went on a spending spree last night, haha. I bought Synergy, an Alix Perez & Spectrasoul EP. Alix Perez' 2nd LP. A couple songs off Survival's new LP this year. That one Wilkinson song and the Nu:Logic LP.

I thought to myself, hey, you put in 40 hours this week, you have a little extra cash in the bank account, and you need some new tunes.

I don't use Spotify. I'm not against it, I just don't use it. I make playlists on YouTube, but, it sounds like I may want to crossover to Spotify. And I buy most of my music on Itunes.

As for your 'pop shit' characterization, that could very well be true. Someone else who has fallen in that pitfall is Metrik. I had very high hopes for Metrik's first Hospital release, but, I was disappointed. There's a couple songs on there, but, nothing is equal to the raw power of a tune like Engine Room. I love in Engine Room how the basslines takes on the role of melody. Anyway, have a good one!

Yeah that Synergy EP is brilliant. No complaints on that one. And yeah definitely treat yaself if you can. I just use Spotify as a better means of previewing music than iTunes and YouTube, or just to get to know certain artists. I still buy the music on iTunes/bandcamp/physical formats if I like them though.

And yeah agreed on Metrik. I still listen to Engine Room because it's a real original track. His newer stuff, not so much...

If you haven't listened to Halogenix, I recommend checking his stuff out. You also might like Naibu's Corners LP/EP.

Yeah that Synergy EP is brilliant. No complaints on that one. And yeah definitely treat yaself if you can. I just use Spotify as a better means of previewing music than iTunes and YouTube, or just to get to know certain artists. I still buy the music on iTunes/bandcamp/physical formats if I like them though.

And yeah agreed on Metrik. I still listen to Engine Room because it's a real original track. His newer stuff, not so much...
If you haven't listened to Halogenix, I recommend checking his stuff out. You also might like Naibu's Corners LP/EP.

good look on Naibu, I hadn't heard of him yet!

http://nesthq.com/wilkinson-hypnotic-album-review

Here's a link to a review of "Hypnotic".

I have quite a bit of DnB on my computer, but, I'm no stranger to splurging on albums, just because. I think we all deal with the compulsion to collect music :).

I purchased "Wash Away", and if that track is embelmatic of the album as a whole, I would buy the whole thing.
As said above, it's pretty much a pop album. Have to say i quite like Wash Away too, also the title track.
That's about it, as it's not the type of dnb i usually prefer.

As said above, it's pretty much a pop album. Have to say i quite like Wash Away too, also the title track.
That's about it, as it's not the type of dnb i usually prefer.

Yeah, I ended up passing on it. Probably going to finish Survival, Take It Back. And finish Calibre's new album, The Deep. I have 2-3 songs from each right now, and they are sounding better and better with each new listen. I just spent.. more than I usually spend.. on music though, so I'm restraining myself, haha.

Back
Top Bottom