Is post distortion really necessary?

i think the digital distortion thing is about an actual down sampling or like 8 bit distortion
probably more for dubstep imo

using vst distortion is not like a bit crusher unless its made for that
i like distortion chains with automated subtractive eqs and then automated band pass filter on top of that
you can really cut a lot and then distort it again
keep the sub on a different track, you can add some distortion and then filter it

i don't know tho

You guys got some good points here.
Especially i like the opiniom that distortion adds some kind of unique character to the sound. I also think when i used distortion on a synth i should have used a compressor instead many times in the past...

What i also want to add to this topic is, synths nowadays come with so many different ways to distort and manipulate the sound before it comes out of the synth (thinking of serum or even massive). If i have heavy distortion going on in my synth and then running it through another instance of a distortion unit, things can quickly become messy in my opinion.

I can give you an example from a tune i recently worked on. The mainpart only consists of simple drums (kick, snare, 1 hat, 1 ride), a subline and only 1 bass synth sound (that changes throughout the drop several times) + a white noise layer.

I reached an acceptable fullness in the mix. The synths had a large range to breath and it didn't feel like anything's missing.
After i finally put a limiter on the mix, i noticed how dirty the mixdown still is, only using these sounds. I couldn't compress it to an acceptable loudness without ending up with a heavy distorted overcompressed sound. I managed to fix it, by thinning out the sounds a lot. I got extreme EQs going on, cutting out a lot of harsh frequencies and now the mix is as clean as i wanted it to be.

If i would have used distortion units on the synth i think the equing process would have been even harder.

Back
Top Bottom