is my amp fucked?

Nutek

movement junglist
VIP Junglist
the jacks on the end of my speaker cables touched eachother and sparked, then there was a quiet pop.. the amp stinks of burnt plastic/electronics

what popped? is it replacable?

Does your amp still work? if it does then its likey you've just popped a smoothing capacitor or something, they make a mess and stink if blown. If you have any eleccy skills just pop it open and have a look. It couldn't really be any power related damage as its only signal through speaker cables.

i probably should have mentioned that it doesn't work.. i might open it up, what am i looking for?

i probably should have mentioned that it doesn't work.. i might open it up, what am i looking for?

Sounds like its royaly fucked mate, I suggest leaving ti to the pros to sort out if the amps actually worth something if not then by all means have a fidle about with it, but I doubt your gonna fix it an your going to have to buy a new one anyway.

yeah most likely, i need a new sound system anyway.. might look for some active speakers when i get some spare cash together

yeah most likely, i need a new sound system anyway.. might look for some active speakers when i get some spare cash together

If you decide to go active, make sure to get some fairly good ones, as the cheap "active" monitors have quite poor amps. Good ones will have seperate amps for each driver aswel so will be of a much better quality and frequency response. Sound on Sound do some good reviews when it comes to monitors/speakers.

I reccomend if your planning on building a rig then stick with serperate amps and speaks if its just for your bedroom then go for active

So you say it doesnt work but what doesnt work. does it power up still but no output? Or is it completely dead? if its completely dead then you've fucked the power supply. If it still powers up and doesn't output then its the pre amp thats fucked.

What amp is it? How old is it? How much is it worth etc etc? You have to weigh up the cost price over the price it could cost to replace it or repair it.

it was £100 from maplin, luckily it was a cheap one, it's nearly 2 years old or something now too. the power isn't fucked because i can still hear a quiet hum/buzz when it's turned on

Fuck it then buy a new one.. Maplin stuff is shite anyways, not built to last. No biggy then ey chap (y)

yeah i think i'll save up for a new sound system along with a car, new decks & mixer, a mac, college shit, taking the missus out, christmas, clothes, car insurance ect ect..

yeah i think i'll save up for a new sound system along with a car, new decks & mixer, a mac, college shit, taking the missus out, christmas, clothes, car insurance ect ect..

everyones got other expencies, but if you just get it repaired then its only going to break again soon which will cost you more money

Back
Top Bottom