Is it worth whille releasing anything on vinyl these days?

I guess so.. quite a shame really.. I dunno im actually someone who went from using my laptop, to CD's and now to vinyl records. and its not like im that wealthy either.. so I cant just blow out on records... But I dunno something about mixing with them is a lot more fun and personal in my opinion.. makes me wonder why its not the standard format for DJ's

I'm practically the same case, trying to move away from digital as far as I can. Digital gives you a wider range of options on how to mix and it's easier to bring a laptop + soundcard than a heavy loaded vinyl bag. But as far as the feeling and enjoyment goes, I totally agree.

I've been buying records for a few years now and still don't own even one turntable.

I keep trying to save up, but then a few new releases come out that I have to bag before they sell out. Rinse, repeat.

I started doing this a few years ago but now I've kind of fallen off buying vinyls and moved away from the idea of getting turntables too... So I have a bunch of records, mostly unplayed and some of them quite rare too.

Enough bitching about how much were up shit creek and vinyls dying you depressing bastards.

I would like to flip this thread on its head and make it a way for us to let you know how to add value to your music, especially vinyl releases.

I think as much as its about the music, its about the package too, we all know £7 for a vinyl is a lot in comparison to its digital counterpart.
All you guys running vinyl labels who have responded to this thread are doing great things that keep me buying your vinyl. I think you should all learn from each other to be able to nurture the fans in the scene. Because as Chris rightly states, were the only ones keeping it alive!

What makes me buy your records (aside from the music itself) is merch. I want more posters, stickers, etc. Digital copies of the track should be standard with EVERY vinyl release, sexy marbled vinyl makes me NEED that record. Make it interesting and reward me for being a fan!

The little things count too, surus releasing the recent critical bundle 2 weeks early felt like second christmas.
I also was apparently one of the first 10 to bag the recent BMT LP and got a personal thanks from the guys, I didnt respond to the mail, but THANK YOU. I'm a massive fan and it really made my day!

All you guys on Surus are doing great and are at least trying to keep vinyl alive, there are many labels out there that im completely disenfranchised with and as such, I dont buy their vinyl.

Enough bitching about how much were up shit creek and vinyls dying you depressing bastards.

I would like to flip this thread on its head and make it a way for us to let you know how to add value to your music, especially vinyl releases.

I think as much as its about the music, its about the package too, we all know £7 for a vinyl is a lot in comparison to its digital counterpart.
All you guys running vinyl labels who have responded to this thread are doing great things that keep me buying your vinyl. I think you should all learn from each other to be able to nurture the fans in the scene. Because as Chris rightly states, were the only ones keeping it alive!

What makes me buy your records (aside from the music itself) is merch. I want more posters, stickers, etc. Digital copies of the track should be standard with EVERY vinyl release, sexy marbled vinyl makes me NEED that record. Make it interesting and reward me for being a fan!

The little things count too, surus releasing the recent critical bundle 2 weeks early felt like second christmas.
I also was apparently one of the first 10 to bag the recent BMT LP and got a personal thanks from the guys, I didnt respond to the mail, but THANK YOU. I'm a massive fan and it really made my day!

All you guys on Surus are doing great and are at least trying to keep vinyl alive, there are many labels out there that im completely disenfranchised with and as such, I dont buy their vinyl.

Spot on mate. :applause:

I do have a soft spot for stickers tbh

yesyesyes, ordering fromshogun is always a pleasure as there are stickers coming with it :D, also there were some stickers with the new different music compilation

also huge shoutout to samurai because not only is the music art but the vinyl itself looks stunning (also the kintaro and the stormep had stunning artwork, would like to see more of that)

So if you want to make it as a DJ, dont spin on vinyl?

- - - Updated - - -

On point, especially digital copies as standard.
I have no way of recording my records and sometimes I want the tunes on my phone when im travelling.

i don't think there's any shortage of ideas for packaging and extras etc... It's just a matter of cost / loss.

thanks for picking up the album btw!

Howitzer makes a great point that I have been stressing for a while now - the digital files should available right away for ANY and ALL vinyl purchases (apart from pre-orders of course). If this is before the actual digital release date, then even better. This would increase the sale of vinyl IMO, as sometimes there's not a huge difference in the price for the digital release and the physical, so a lot of people will be happy to pay the extra couple of pounds if they get the MP3's in their inbox right away and the record arrives a week or 2 later. Surus has got this nailed, its just a shame that their shipping (to NZ anyways) makes it not viable to buy from them every time...the digital download codes that come with Critical releases, etc, are OK but you want the purchaser to be able to get their music INSTANTLY. Then its the best of both worlds.

Redeye and Chemical really need to sort this with the labels sooner rather than later I feel.

let it go lol its well n truly over...times have changed technology has changed, let go...still nice to have vinyl from over the years but the days of new dnb on vinyl are almost done

for short-sighted simple jump-up maybe....

Thats a very short minded thing to say too, don't blast a sub genre if things aint working, if they could do vinyl they would, all labels any genre, when simple people IE you, with thick skulls can do a basic scan of profits as to what people in some kind of dream world think these people make loads of money, its not not logistical,

Thats a very short minded thing to say too, don't blast a sub genre if things aint working, if they could do vinyl they would, all labels any genre, when simple people IE you, with thick skulls can do a basic scan of profits as to what people in some kind of dream world think these people make loads of money, its not not logistical,

your English hurts my head...

Rowney poked his head in to have another dig at the future of vinyl, and I pointed out that there is no future for short-sighted simple jump-up (which there is not, hence labels like Playaz have stopped pressing vinyl (although I do not think all of the tunes on Playaz are in that category btw)).

Don't think I don't like jump-up (I own heaps of it, and play some big tunes I like now and then), but some labels that release future-thinking music that has a life-span longer than to the following weekend are still able to do it, and some very successfully. So get off your high horse man.

Back
Top Bottom