Is it worth learning on older cdj’s?

JUSON

lookint to upgrade To cdj’s soon and have had mixed opinions on what to go for. Some have said to go for older cdj’s like 800’s so I can learn on something slightly harder and therefore will be More skilled in the future.

But others have said there’s no point because I’ll never be expected to play on cdj’s which only use cd’s outside of my bedroom.

I guess most big older names in jungle/dnb would have started on turntables and made them more skilled as dj’s.

So do you guys think it’s worth it? To learn on something harder than that which uses Rekordbox and shows the waveform?

Thanks

Only ever used a pair of numark cdjs but cant see how it will be any more/less difficult.
I know with turntables you have issues like cheap/older modles are belt drive and less accurate pitch faders but would expect everything to be digital and similar standard in a cdj, especially pioneer.

yeah dude there is no real difference between say 800's and nx 2000's just the bigger screen and sync buttons lol, you don't really need to see the waveform if you know the tune anyway

yes, definitely.

better for you if you learn on something that is more barebones, forces you to play by ear just a little bit more.

you don't want to end up having to rely visual cues to play your music, you don't listen with your eyes

having said that 800s (mk2) are pretty much identical in feel with any other full sized pioneer CDJ. my only gripe with them is that they don't support 6% pitch range, but that's not a big problem

(btw my advice is to tape over the +/-% on the display as well)

makes no difference skill wise buddy they all work on the exact same principle. Gets fucking annoying burning cds though so pioneer 850's as a minimum

to be fair I started mixing with both arms behind my back to make it harder, used to use my mouth for records and those light touch ups and used my penis for pitch control and mixer volumes, this was all well and good but I can't mix with my hands now :(

Back
Top Bottom