Is it worth learning more than one DAW?

Discussion in 'Production' started by Cat Gas, Apr 3, 2010.

1. Cat Gas

Cat Gas Aka Basis

Just want to see your views on this, as certain DAWs may have different synths etc.
    So if you're going for a specific sound, is it worth learning more than one DAW, or would that be too much effort?

Just curious because at the moment although I use FL9, i hear reason has great synths and I always struggle to make any non-obviously-digital sounding synths, unless it's a bassline.
    But that's besides the point. read the top bit.

2. thedjnifty

thedjnifty Well-Known Member

Far too much effort I would say ... there's way too much to learn

Best thing is to find your favourite DAW and stick with it until you know it inside out

At the end of the day it's not always about what it can do ... it's about what you can make it do and what you can get out of it

I often feel people would be a lot more creative in general if there were less options ... if that makes sense

3. Cat Gas

Cat Gas Aka Basis

But how do you know which DAW is best for you? :p

4. moriaty

moriaty Active Member

exactly. its well worth checking a few to see which one works best with you. other than cubase sonar and reaper, which all work pretty much the same way - traditional audio sequencer, ableton, reason, and FL offer very different ways of working.

5. MARKLAR

MARKLAR International Tracksuit Salesman

ive tried a few but im still stuck on reason.
    people always say to me its limited that u can use vsts an that but i kinda like the fact i cant as it makes me try an make it from the tools i have on there.
    one thing im not to found of with reason is sometimes the sound quality doesnt seem as good as other daws although that may just be my shitty computer!:teeth:

6. druu

druu Member

I've noticed differences in quality of the audio engines in the daws I've used too, just from sample playback. I've yet to try cubase though.

7. dar kist

dar kist KYRO

i say why not, i use logic, but will soon be getting cubase and FL to have a play with once i partition my mac.

8. Neomind

Neomind Too many skulls!">:O

If you put water in to a teapot, it becomes the teapot. - Bruce Lee.

By this example I want to show 3 things;

1-I'm drunk.
    2-I'm 8th degree of Wing Tsun Kung-Fu
    3-It's not the DAW it's who you are, and how you focuse yourselvf into making music...

I think that you could even make a tune into Audacitiy ;)

9. Mr Fletch

Mr Fletch aka KRONIX

I don't think it's worth learning how to use multiple daws for a couple of reasons.

1: I solely use FL 8, and find I can create almost anything out of it with the standard Sytrus plugin and some 3rd party vst's. as long as you have a synth that has 3 oscillators, an lfo section and a nice filter or two why would you need anything else? It's all about how you program that synth that makes a difference.

2: a friend of mine uses nuendo and FL, when I go round there, we use FL but he always wants me to learn nuendo, which I have tried, but something that takes me 2 hours to do in nuendo because I'm not competent in it only takes me 10 minutes in FL, so is it worth learning how to do so
    ething in nuendo when I already know how to do it in FL, personally I don't think so

10. Neomind

Neomind Too many skulls!">:O

WOW What kind of moron am I!!?!?!?!? I didn't even remember that I posted that here! sorry guys... alcohol... ;)

11. kama

kama benkama.net

It is worth it if your main daw is FLstudio or Reason. Simply because those two work in a different way to any other daw today, excluding maybe renoise. But the 'Major' DAW's like protools, logic, sonar, cubase etc. are all very much alike and while their cosmetics are different, there is little that is actually different under the hood. So if you learn at least one of these, you can adapt to working on another one of these very easily, in case you need to do stuff like collabs or get time in a good studio. FLstudio and reason are very different in that aspect and a sudden change from either to a 'bigger' daw can be hard.

12. 5IVE7EVEN9INE

5IVE7EVEN9INE 14

that was a pretty badass post though haha

13. jafster

jafster Member

i would say if youre fairly new to producing stick to what you have the main thing you want is experience like with anything in life
    then when you are fairly confident that you can string up a tune in minimal time which sounds good you will naturaly find the limits and weakness of that daw and youreself then maybe consider learning another for instance i was a solid reason use for about 2 years over the last year ive switched to cubase 5 and very much still learning it. Until i have learnt everything i want to use in that daw i will not comment on wether is good or rubbish

14. glennyb

glennyb Member

yeah once you understand the basics its definitely worth learning other daws. you might find you prefer a different one, and its good practice to know how to use different daws and understand their differences, positives and negatives, unique features, etc. and it isn't going to negatively affect anything is it?

if you understand the basics its pretty easy to pick up other daws anyway, the only real exception to that i can think of is trackers, which are a different ball game really.

15. DJPancake

DJPancake NEW NAME IS DJ INCLINED

is it worth learning...

how to use more than one operating system?

how to speak more then one language?

how to drive a car?

how to write with more than one color of pen ink?

how to put on more than one shoe?

Cross training in one or another will usually help you in another. It has for me.

16. Krispy

Krispy Member

true zen master speak

17. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

wing tsun, thats nice, you should try a martial art style for men now, see how that works out for you.

18. druu

druu Member

It's also a matter of trying to get out of you comfort zone too for some. :)