Is it very different ?

herahad99

Is it very different using normal computer speakers and studio monitors ? The answer seems obvious but I'm wondering if production quality will improve that much when using studio monitors instead of normal computer speakers, and if so, why ?

At the moment I'm using these:

5691d1222082839-harman-kardon-jbl-creature-ii-computer-speaker-harman-kardon-jbl-creature-ii-computer-speaker.jpg

Wondering if swapping them for studio monitors is a great move, considering the budget restraints...

It's more the nature of studio monitors that make a difference, a good quality set will have a flat response and help you pick out frequencies easier that are clashing.
Hifi speakers are usually (Not sure if there are exceptions.) coloured (And thus boosted or cut in specific frequencies.), so they will kind of lie to you about how your music is sounding.

But then again, you can mix with any speakers in theory if you spend enough time learning them, and adapt your ears to your surroundings. (In theory at least :p.)

Well, i've never used monitors but i'm guessing that the difference should be pretty big(if you have a proper studio that is), but theres no point in getting ones for your bedroom imo.

On paper, yes, a set of proper monitors will aid you with your mix & productions. However, it's quite common to hear/read about producers who started out using computer speakers or other types of non-typical speakers for their productions.

As previously mentioned in an above post, you'll want a pair of monitors that deliver a flat response in order to keep your mixes on point, avoid monitors that boast some type of "enhancement" or other buzzword that really just colors the audio. If you're strictly producing from your bedroom/basement/etc., you'll want to invest some near field monitors. As far what particular brand, do a search of the forum and you'll find lots of threads with users discussing their monitors of choice.

Most commonly mentioned brands around here off the top of my head include KRK, Yamaha, ADAM to name a few.

Last edited:
i became skrillex in 5 minutes after i bought a pair. yes they are like magic!

and if you call now i'll even thro in a compressr to make you nife partee
Yeah d00d I wunna be like skrill3x!!

Thanks for the answers guys, when I have the $$ I guess I'll get my hands on some studio monitors :D

im a firm believer if you know your system, and its weaknesses/limitations and strengths you should really have no trouble... but who doesn't want big ass clear loud monitors?!~

I used to produce with headphones for 3 years. Sennheiser heads worth about 80 € or something. Yeah, they had a nice sound but not a flat. Subbass boosted, drums were too low.
IMO the most important investment for production is a good pair of studio monitors. I have the Alesis M1 Active MKII who are pretty good for their price.

I still use the headphones though, for example to check for aching frequencies at higher volumes.

I don't produce with monitors, but I got a Beyerdynamic DT 880 pro, which I'm pretty satisfied. Actually, if you use some kind of spectrum analyzer on your songs, you can see what you can't hear with your headphones. This helped me a lot on my last song.

No matter what, you'll hear the difference; but if you're putting the monitors in an un-treated room the difference won't be as significant.

No matter what, you'll hear the difference; but if you're putting the monitors in an un-treated room the difference won't be as significant.

The funny thing is, this is the first forum I take part on this kind of discussion and people tell that it's ok to mix a song with headphones. Normally people will call you names if you simply say the word "headphones".

Nothing wrong with headphones, they're just very tiring for the ears to mix on for long periods of time (As are flat monitors like the Yamaha HS80M though.)

Yeh this is true, treating a room helps so much to stop all those pesky reflections thats for sure. at the end of the day tho you can write a banger on anything, you just need to know your speakers well. buying new speakers will still involve a shit load of time learning them, you dont just become a don overnight. I know sick producers that use hifi speakers to make the main bulk of tune and do EQin in a studio, i even know someone on ram just uses headphones. SO there is no given. just know your shit.

Back
Top Bottom