Is it time for a break?

AcidShroom

Hey fellow dnbforumians,

I've hit a brick wall and I've just realized it now. For the last month I've opened ableton and nothing comes out of my head, it feels like something has drained the creative juices out of my body. I've tried just making kicks n snares, making some synths and stuff but still nothing gets the vibe going. I almost feel like the fun out of production has gone, maybe Im a bit too hard with myself on production, I always A/B my tracks to some better than decent released tracks . I dont know...I dont know what to think actually.. just a plain blank brick wall

Is it time for a break?

I'm taking a break on my productions, as I've felt the same way. Been producing endlessly for the last 7 months or so. The break is now hitting the 2nd week. I'm playing videogames, enjoying my life, but I still feel connected to music production.

hahaha today (mainly cartels fault) i have felt an uneasy anger towards making music... i was thinking (now that gta has arrived to just chilled for a couple weeks) no stress no disappointment and jealousy

fuck it in all honesty is how im feeling atm - but i know i love music and i know deep down even if it never goes anywhere its a productive, spiritual and a creative output for me... but right its none of those

hmmm :D i'm not much of a gamer, altho gta V is a game i'd play. Maybe I should pick up playing the piano again, just try to improvise and make music on the piano for a while but i still crave to make music in the most clear sense and the thought that nothing comes out of my mind is FRUSTRATING

Could also try a different genre besides DnB, I've started doing a lot of downtempo stuff lately, which is a blast and feels very refreshing, instead of constantly trying to force myself to write a DnB track.

do you play any musical instruments? if im not getting anything done on the computer i just go and play the piano or guitar for a bit. learn some songs, etc. Its also quite good to listne to melodies in dnb tracks and try to transpose them to the piano, understanding the simplicity of melodies in (most) dnb is a great way to come up with your own stuff.

had same thing a few months ago.
bought a deck, a couple of cdjs and have been learning to mix for a few months.
so im still messing around with the music i love but im not banging my head on the desk.
i will go back to producing when im ready

This is where I keep finding myself, and like in the thread I posted I think collaborating might help get the gears working again. With the right people of course :D

I wouldn't say stop messing around in your DAW or equipment altogether, but don't treat it like everytime you jump into a session you have to produce an actual tune. Make some sounds, when you start thinking of cool shit with those sounds, you'll start putting them together and before you know it you'll have a track finished.

Works for me, but it's something I kinda have to do. Still learning a lot (particularly would like to learn some really solid shit on compression and side-chaining; tech-speaking they're the last of the basics I need to nail down but lack of that is preventing me from doing serious drum processing. So back to studying and playing around I guess xD), and if I'm not in my DAW I'm probably drawing, playing a game or watching movies and chilling to music hobby-wise, so if you have any other hobbies maybe prioritize them for the time being but don't completely cold-turkey your production time.

- - - Updated - - -

usually you pour a bit of water into your computer to get that liquid feel
This would work too. Teach that CPU who's boss!

Back
Top Bottom