Is it possible to program such complex drums?

Discussion in 'Production' started by wilson89, Aug 6, 2012.

1. wilson89

wilson89 New Member

Ok I've been listening to this song lately, the drums are just incredible, but I can't work out if they are programmed or played.. they just seem to have such a nice human feel but at the same time, very thick and powerful like electro drums.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4N31...-9C2NP59RfO641R6x4Fg0Eiq&index=1&feature=plcp

Anyway I've had a go at recreating it to see if I could do it, and I just can't get those human nuances in to my programmed drums.

http://soundcloud.com/robertharriso89/day/s-7o8X1

So my question is, are these recorded or programmed drums? And would it be possible to program something like this? Secondly, could anyone recommend a nice sample pack with drums like these? I have the XFER deadmau5 pack but it's all very electro'y

2. elmaruk

elmaruk slannndaaaaaaar

yeah it is possible mate but you really need to think carefully about the hits & samples your using, also think like a drummer.

you'll wanna get yourself some steven slate samples, they are a collection of different drum kits as it won't sound too riught if your using random hits from different kits. if ya know what i mean.

youll need to play with velocitys, timings, little fill hits here & there and process them well. good luck.

3. elmaruk

elmaruk slannndaaaaaaar

i like that dlz tune by the way nice one

4. wilson89

wilson89 New Member

I heard it on Breaking Bad, and just haven't stopped listening to it.

Thanks for the reply, I'll check into the Slate samples.

5. elmaruk

elmaruk slannndaaaaaaar

yeah man, i mean, they are real hits with some processing here & there. but if they are played live or programmed is anyones guess really.

6. Meloz

Meloz Member

I had a demo aaaages ago of Razoon Jamstix. It's a virtual drum synth that has algorithms to simulate human drumming. It also comes with different drummers who have different habits etc. (http://www.rayzoon.com/). Not sure if this helps at all.

7. neddez

neddez Member

imo the way to get programmed drums to sound fluid is ALL to do with the tails on the hits

8. moonglow359

moonglow359 I've been naughty, I'm banned

man I love doing my own breaks.. such a massive pleasure ........ but lately I've run out of samples so I'm back to the old times, cut breaks and use cut-up hits, separate drum, chin and snare and have fun

9. Nucleoid

Nucleoid Nucleoid Drum & Bass

You might wanna try and take a shot at " EZ Drummer ". It's a program used by a lot of rock producers to make drumlines in such a way that they sound real, but are really tight and punchy at the same time.

Basically it's a virtual drumset that you can tune in any way you like.

10. Elzerk

Elzerk 00111100 00110011

Best guess is to take live drum kits and programming them with velocity in mind plus a reverb on the whole kit to glue them together. Maybe panning cymbal hits gives them a bit live feel.

11. nukleamojo

nukleamojo Producer & Blogger Super Joshi

Making sure that you have varied the velocities, panning and timing will make the drums sound human. After that it's about the samples you use and the way you place (or layer) them. Don't be afriad no not quantize.