Is It Possible To Make A Reece Shepard's Tone?

T:M

Dusty Techno Workout
VIP Junglist
Yup, just like the title says, I'm wondering if it would be possible to create a Reece with the properties of a shepard's tone (constantly rising/falling)?

More so a random question then something I actually intend to use in a track, I just think it would be a cool, random thing to know how to make. :crazy:

interesting question indeed. you could take a sampled shepard's tone and try building a reese with it (ie detune two or more copies + distort)

Yeah shouldn't be too hard, you'll just need to automate the pitch in your synth.
I tried sampling mda Shepard and detuning that, but there's not much harmonic content to work with. You'd be better starting from scratch with a saw wave or any other wave with lots of harmonics.

Ok so i gave it a whirl.

I used this tutorial to get the basic Shepard's Tone:
AudioTuts+ Shepard's Tone Tutorial

I tried using bounced files of the tone just being a saw but that didn't work as expected. So I just loaded up a basic reece in ES2 and shut off the voice unison (which is important if you follow the tutorial and try it yourself, you already have enough voices so if you use the unison it sounds shit). Oh, and you portomento has to be jacked WAY up for it to slide right. Then I routed all the channels together into one bus, used mda Detune, and Logic's Distortion and SilverVerb.

Give it a listen, I threw a loop under the second half just to see what it would sound like, it's from Nu:Tone's sample pack.

EDIT: I've changed my mind. I DO want to use this method for a track now, I think if it was resampled just right it could cause some serious damage!

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom