is it necessary to have a soundcard to use studio monitors?

Discussion in 'Production' started by law_88, Jun 24, 2011.

1. law_88

law_88 Member

yeah, basically what it says in the title. finally got some cash together to get myself some studio monitors, pobably gonna swing for some rokit 6's, but do i have to have a soundcard to hook them up to? I do wanna get a decent soundcard in the very near future but it would have a pretty negative effect on my bank balance if i need to get one at the same time as i get my monitors.
    Any help would be great guys cheers.

2. mr meh

mr meh Well-Known Member

3. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

either that or a desk, like a soundcraft compact or similar.

4. Simply D.

Simply D. Polysonic

I have my monitors hooked up to my stereo unit. instead of hooking up the speakers that it came with, I hooked my monitors up to it instead.

connected to my PC via RCA to phono adapter. sounds fine to me.

Yamaha ns-10 monitors.

5. StrifeII

StrifeII Member

You won't get a true untouched sound - which is the main thing you buy monitors for really. You can pick up an Emu 0404 or M-Audio 2496 for 50 odd quid and that will do the job. If you don't have a decent soundcard, you might not be able to get full export quality from your DAW too, which will directly affect your mix quality...and might even get your work sent back to you by mastering engineers...

6. groelle

groelle Well-Known Member

to cut it short. BS. your mixes arent affected by a soundcard at all. certainly your output quality is, and hence your mixes could be. but they dont sound worse when rendered with a good soundcard compared to another one.

if theres no sound playing, your soundcard isnt working.

7. StrifeII

StrifeII Member

mix quality may be the wrong word, output quality then. if you reach the point where a label are asking for a full version at full quality, you might be unable to supply it, and you'll either have to blast the entire project over to somebody who can export a lossless wav for you, or buy a soundcard anyway...

exporting at anything less than 24bit/48khz is destructive to the sound quality and you want every drop that you can get!

8. lostnthesound

lostnthesound Burns Easily in the Sun

If you want to have a proper balanced output, you definitely need an audio interface, preferably with a pair of balanced quarter inch or XLR outs.

What differentiates one audio interface from the next are two key factors: 1.) the number of available inputs/outputs 2.)the type of preamp(s) and/or A/D = D/A converters. A higher grade D/A converter, specifically, will play your mixes back with a higher quality dynamic range which will increase your mixdowns dramatically. I dove head first into buying the Duet 2 and haven't looked back since.