Is it me or is it me?(snare)

Quotec

Soz for stupid topic name

Anyway during tunemaking process I heard a subtle difference in snappiness of a snare. It appears at a tick-bang-tick-BANG, the last bang is snappier than first one. It´s your usual 1-5-11-13 sequence, so I thought maybe the shallow distance between kick at 11 and snare at 13 makes that snare hit sound snappier. Checked this in another commercial tune, basically I heard the same thing but it wasn´t that noticeable there. Is it just me(as topic name implies) or is it for real that second snare is snappier with 1-5-11-13 sequence? If so, I noticed it for the first time.

P.S I have literally no compression used on drums, but what I found is that I have little kick tail extending into 13th snare so maybe that is the problem

I think you that you might be thinking about it too much, so its you and you, yes. lol

Perhaps subtle differences between snare hits from a live break. Part of what makes live breaks sound more interesting than the same kick & snare repeated through a tune

I think I have found solution to the problem, changed the kick sample and it changed the groove, now both snare hits sound equally snappy.

It sounds like phasing. Use a peak filter to locate the problematic bandwidth of the snare sample and then try panning and/or EQ'ing other elements in your songs that also share that bandwidth. You can also try nudging the conflicting sounds, not your snare (which should be in the pocket), less than ~50-100 sample frames to kind of offset the phasing a little bit to prevent cancellation attune to some of the frequency components attributed to the saturation inside of a lot of different snare sounds.

Do you have a special instrument/hi hat/percussion playing at the same time as the second snare hit? Maybe the frequencies are overlapping. You should check the frequencies in this case. Solve it with equing or sidechain :)

Yeah, phasing. break layers and hat layers will do this to a snare 90% of the time. Long tails on a kick will cause some major issues as well. thats what all those techy, deep, neuro cats use the off snare half steppy pattern. it keeps the snare away from the kick and adds breathing room to elevate that problem.

Neuro heads are mix down nazis.

Back
Top Bottom