Is it just me or...

Phat_Sam

VIP Junglist
am I one of a very few people who is actually appreciating Drum and Bass/Dubstep for what it actually is!?

The amount of times that i've come across a dnb tune (or a dubstep tune) on Youtube that's got about a hundred comments just saying "boring" or "what a pile of crap, i could do better in my sleep whilst shitting" (or whatever bullshit) pisses me off. There are loads of talented producers out there, signed or otherwise, that are making music that, whether i like it or not, i can apreciate. A perfect example:

PENDULUM. (BARE WITH ME BEFORE YOU SHUT DOWN AND STOP READING!)

Ok... I'm not a MASSIVE fan and they may have sold out a bit and they may be making music that isn't great now, but fucking hell... Bacteria Remix... that is one of the most hectic tunes ever! I have to hold back from dropping that in EVERY set i play and it still manages to creep in somehow!

Their first album was awsome. a bit mainstream but tbh... i havent heard anything with a level of production that manages to bring that same level of excitement! (whether the tunes are good or not, even though i like them anyway, is another matter)

There are some people around at the moment that are so fucking pretentious it pisses me off! pretending they know something about drum and bass just because they have heard of chase and status and then taking the piss out of anything that doesnt come near "end credits." (which i do like btw)

All the same argument for dubstep. Just replace Pendulum with Benga or Skream and you have the same argument!

Anyway... rant over...

Anyone know what I'm talking about?

I know exactly what you are talking about, although the thing that pisses me off more than that, is that lots of these "shithouse" producers (not naming any names because i'm gonna upset people) who are signed, shouldnt be....

fuck it..i'll name names, I hate him that fucken much...DJ CLipz......his music is absolute fucking tripe... (hes the only one I dispise though) badly produced, drums sounds fucking awful, his eq'ing is also fucking awful...and his sampling....wtf....its unimaginitive cheese.

sorry, about that....i just heard someone playing one of his tracks in a car driving past my house.

I do get what you mean though....I just had to have my rant about fucking Clipz...

I agree with you on Pendulum...good example. I used to like pendulum, but I cant stand them any more. but I dont disrespect Rob Swires production ability, because the guy is an excellent producer...I just don't like the tunes anymore.

but fucking Clipz....I hope he dies in a fire or something... spare the world of that stupid mega shiteful jump up crud.

He's not the only one, he's just the one I want to name at this point in time.

/counter rant

agee'd on the clipsz thing pendulums Hold you colour album was awsome :) as time went on the got caught up in money over personal music taste (Or sumthink like that) But clipz Tracks that sound like recordings of diffrent trash can rattles.....people acturly buy this shit.

I still remember Pendulum's 'Masochist', damn that was a track with potential! :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I know exactly what you are talking about, although the thing that pisses me off more than that, is that lots of these "shithouse" producers (not naming any names because i'm gonna upset people) who are signed, shouldnt be....

fuck it..i'll name names, I hate him that fucken much...DJ CLipz......his music is absolute fucking tripe... (hes the only one I dispise though) badly produced, drums sounds fucking awful, his eq'ing is also fucking awful...and his sampling....wtf....its unimaginitive cheese.

sorry, about that....i just heard someone playing one of his tracks in a car driving past my house.

I do get what you mean though....I just had to have my rant about fucking Clipz...

I agree with you on Pendulum...good example. I used to like pendulum, but I cant stand them any more. but I dont disrespect Rob Swires production ability, because the guy is an excellent producer...I just don't like the tunes anymore.

but fucking Clipz....I hope he dies in a fire or something... spare the world of that stupid mega shiteful jump up crud.

/counter rant

theres a lot worse out there mate, clipz has had some big tunes just released alot of bad ones too.
I agree with the original post, appreciate the music for the work that has gone into it even if i dnt like the style.

YES! I'm not the only one!

Masochist is a fuckin mega tune too! Yeah.. Clipz is poor. Loud and Dirty is possibly the only track of his that I think warrants any merrit.

Yeah... shite producers that are signed don't help. And there is a lot of Dubstep out there where people have just stuck a half hearted wobble over a beat. That annoys me.

Aaaah well...

so you start a thread about how you hate it when people slag off music just for the sake of it and the thread ends up a hate thread about clipz and people sitting on the fence about pendulum. i only came in here to slag off sub focus, but because i don't want to come across as though i hate on anyone successful, i do think the guy is talented BIG RAVE CHEESE SOUND

so, the moral of the story is... the internet is full of haters and get used to it.

/counter rant

if Clipz's music is so badly made then why don't you try and make something that sounds similar? I'm not a massive fan, and there are some tunes of his I do think are too ridiculous to actually enjoy, but if people like em then thats all that matters. And it obviously takes A LOT of work, otherwise there wouldn't be any big name producers making that type of DNB, everyone would be on it.

you cant ever stop the bitching, theres something inherent in bitching about music we dont like that we cant seem to avoid, if we detest a sound for whatever particular reason at one point or another MOST of us are gonna be persuaded to cause an argument because we are naturally so elite about our own music because its the best on the planet and we dont like that crap that you listen to. like its a fact. all we can do is try to avoid it, but we will always have to stand up for ourselves eventually.

The best we can hope to do is to try and define ourselves and our dislikes for a particular piece of music and to have valid reasons for every piece of music we dislike, if we have a valid reason then that argument is justified on our part, and we may even cause other people to see what we see in music.

These arguments will never stop for me until the pop industry is burnt, and knowing this will never happen, i try to avoid any body or any thing which is gonna present me the latest sugar babes song, people are gonna end up sittin in a bad way with me if they start singing some bullshit pop song. coz its manufactured.

Sugarbabes lol! Man they shouldne even be allowed to be called the sugarbabes. For one none of them are the original members, and secondly none of them are "babes"! Damn they hit every branch of that ugly tree!

am I one of a very few people who is actually appreciating Drum and Bass/Dubstep for what it actually is!?....

...Anyone know what I'm talking about?

absolutely not. could explain your first sentence a bit better? perhaps define what you think dnb/dubstep really is? cause as far as i know, its just music. and as with any sort of art, there is no concrete way of judging a piece as good or bad. some will like it, some will not.
i personally hate clipz's tunes, but i couldnt possibly dismiss him as a bad artist purely on the grounds that I dont like it. there tons of people who are deemed as musicians, whilst never having learned any musical skills, never wrote a song or even riff, and their only purpose is to look good, whilst a massive personnel tries to make them sounds good enough to be able to be marketed. see spears, aguilera, all x factor muppets, etc
these people were never even interested in creating a piece and contributing to the world's discography, but rather found it as the best way to make money and establish a career.
now.
examine clipz. some dude locked in his room making tune after tune after tune, keep pushing them at promoters and label owners. over the years he managed to release a fuck loads of records, and build a strong following around his name. who the hell are you (and i mean that in the best possible way) that will tell him that his music sucks and he should stop making it? dont get me wrong, i bloddy hate his tunes, i find them compositionally childish and annoying. but at the same time, you have to recognise that this music is his through and through, and it has had enough appeal to make him desirable from publishers.
there really isnt an objective way of judging music, but in my book the two aforementioned factors, making your own music and having fan appeal, constitute to a decent piece of art.
imo etc

absolutely not. could explain your first sentence a bit better?

haha yeah i know... i was a bit pissed and annoyed when i wrote that, cos i saw a comment on youtube slagging off a song (that i thought was quite good) just because it 'wasn't underground enough' or some shit.

I think what im trying to say is that the people who make the music seem to be far more open minded and welcoming to other music than others.

Then you have the wankers that have no idea what time, effort and talent it takes to create tunes, labelling really good tracks 'Shit' because apparently they are dnb/dubstep/trance fanatic and they know more about the scene than anyone else in the world ever.

I appreciate all DnB, might not like it all but thats normal with everyone. Youtube comments are funny as tho, always have a good laugh reading them.
I dont get what all the fuss is about with Pendulum, Yeh they made some good tunes, bad tunes, commercial sounding tunes, dubstep tunes, Metal tunes.. and soooo what? They are doing what they wanna do. Same with subfocus.
If its a good tune, i will listen to it. That could be metal, rock, dnb, dubstep, house, electro house and so on. I wont listen to pop tho :teeth:

I appreciate all DnB, might not like it all but thats normal with everyone. Youtube comments are funny as tho, always have a good laugh reading them.
I dont get what all the fuss is about with Pendulum, Yeh they made some good tunes, bad tunes, commercial sounding tunes, dubstep tunes, Metal tunes.. and soooo what? They are doing what they wanna do. Same with subfocus.
If its a good tune, i will listen to it. That could be metal, rock, dnb, dubstep, house, electro house and so on. I wont listen to pop tho :teeth:

you talk a lot of sense Sir TongueFlap :)

boo fucking hoo not everyone likes the same artists that you do what a fucking shame.

guess what: people have different tastes in stuff, and when people express their distaste for something its not always done in a constructive, diplomatic way.

so here we go: pendulum can fuck off with their euro-guff emo bullshit 'dnb', use some new drums, fuck off with that squeaky synth, you raped the original bacteria and completely missed the point, fucking music for 15 year olds. fuck off.

clipz: stop making such fucking god awful 'music' that serves no purpose other than to give me a headache with cheap grating noises and cack beats and fucking kick drum rolls. fucking 'music' for 15 year old chavs. fuck off and die.

skream/rusko/etc: arent you bored of wobbley massive basslines yet? surely you can think of something else to do rather than forcing dubstep down the same homogenized imagination-less path that d&b has already shown leads to a fucking dead end. learn from your big brothers mistakes! stop chasing the easy fucking £££s and try and do something new and cool - thats the reason dubstep got big in the first fucking place, because it was something different.

is that better?

Last edited:
you talk a lot of sense Sir TongueFlap :)

occasionally... This does happen. Not often tho, maybe once a month. haha. Wait till the next podcast, you will change your mind (thats if u listen to it). "those twats from tongue flap recs talk alot of shiiiiteeee" (but... I have promised myself i wont talk to much on the next cast, I will try)

Back
Top Bottom