Is it just me or...

occasionally... This does happen. Not often tho, maybe once a month. haha. Wait till the next podcast, you will change your mind (thats if u listen to it). "those twats from tongue flap recs talk alot of shiiiiteeee" (but... I have promised myself i wont talk to much on the next cast, I will try)

I will listen in bro =)

Then you have the wankers that have no idea what time, effort and talent it takes to create tunes, labelling really good tracks 'Shit' because apparently they are dnb/dubstep/trance fanatic and they know more about the scene than anyone else in the world ever.
A tune that takes a long time, with a lot of effort and a musical genius behind it does not making a good track any anyone's definition.

People will like what they like and that makes 'good' music, makes it 'popular' music ie. stuff that a lot of people can relate to.

Being able to hear and get down to a nice hook in the rave is not the same thing as appreciating detailed perfectly layered production whilst chilling at home with headphones.

What i`m trying to say, and i think was already said, music is art and is open to interpretation by whoever encounters it so if some are motivated to say on the internet that your 'good' track is in fact 'shit' then just ignore and carry on, unless you want to coax them into your vibe by selling it to them ... a 'face to face' insult swapfest won't get anywhere ! ;)

you talk a lot of sense Sir TongueFlap :)

what about jamie T or some of paulo nutini, thats pop and i for one think it's fucking wicked?

and another thing that is anoying is people describing pop music as 'manufactured'... all f'ing music is silly! a better description would be 'mass-marketed'...

as 'manufactured'... all f'ing music is silly! a better description would be 'mass-marketed'...
no, its two different terms. there are pop bands that are manufactured. girls aloud, spice girls. all that shite was concieved purely in the brains of marketing executives, who then found 5 birds, took their clothes off, and flung em to the idiotic masses to love.
thats manufactured. mass marketed would be kylie, madonna, stuff like that.

no, its two different terms. there are pop bands that are manufactured. girls aloud, spice girls. all that shite was concieved purely in the brains of marketing executives, who then found 5 birds, took their clothes off, and flung em to the idiotic masses to love.
thats manufactured. mass marketed would be kylie, madonna, stuff like that.

true dat bro... but who is actually 'making' the music, probably someone who has just as much love for music and production as we all do, but needs a pay check more?

glennyb... you have issues...... but i know what you mean

:lol:

i actually couldnt care less to be honest, i just avoid the music i dont like. was just being aggy for a laugh really.

but my points stand, people do always latch on to what i would probably describe as 'the cack', and often dont seem to understand the more interesting vibes. i appreciate that this is because most people aren't interested in hearing something new, they want to hear something that reminds them of something they have heard before. its familiar to them so it pleases them. most people aren't into music that much that they want to explore it, that they want to hear what can be done in the constraints of a genre (or god forbid, something that breaks the constraints of a genre), or get a flash into someone elses imagination/mindset. basically a lot of people see music as something to dance to or take drugs to or something to hum/sing along to in the background. people who see music as art and an expression of imagination and emotion generally have to dig deeper, and the artists that they appreciate dont get as much recognition. obviously this can lead to a degree of animosity to music that in their eyes is inferior, watered down, and lowest common denominator.

if we take a look at dnb, it started out as pure expression. complete disregard for rules, and it was fucking interesting. there was nothing that sounded like photek or source direct or hidden agenda or whoever before they turned up. There was nothing that sounded like ed rush, nico, trace, optical, dom, etc. skip forward to these days and there is nothing that doesn't sound like something else. because people are too busy copying other people to do something that is truly new and interesting. even people who i think are fucking excellent such a noisia and the like arent really doing anything new. and this pisses people off goddamit!

and you can see dubstep heading in the same direction. and you'd think people would learn.

boo fucking hoo not everyone likes the same artists that you do what a fucking shame.

guess what: people have different tastes in stuff, and when people express their distaste for something its not always done in a constructive, diplomatic way.

so here we go: pendulum can fuck off with their euro-guff emo bullshit 'dnb', use some new drums, fuck off with that squeaky synth, you raped the original bacteria and completely missed the point, fucking music for 15 year olds. fuck off.

clipz: stop making such fucking god awful 'music' that serves no purpose other than to give me a headache with cheap grating noises and cack beats and fucking kick drum rolls. fucking 'music' for 15 year old chavs. fuck off and die.

skream/rusko/etc: arent you bored of wobbley massive basslines yet? surely you can think of something else to do rather than forcing dubstep down the same homogenized imagination-less path that d&b has already shown leads to a fucking dead end. learn from your big brothers mistakes! stop chasing the easy fucking £££s and try and do something new and cool - thats the reason dubstep got big in the first fucking place, because it was something different.

is that better?

this

theres a lot of people coming out with creative and interesting music... but with the amount of time the music has been about things are always going to sound similar?

music has progressed well and i think theres enough variety and originality u just need to look for it, although saying that i am partial to abit of jump up aswell as rockwell, and netsky, i like it all.. ye it may sound similar to other things... but if its a good tune who the cares!!

threads like this piss me off.. people like different styles, thats why its a great music. people like different dj's and producers. and people who have just got into dnb are only gonna know about chase and status, subfocus..etc etc because they are big at the moment.

you are no better moaning about it yourself! your not really taking it for what it is if u get pissed off with people likeing different people and styles.

and another thing that is anoying is people describing pop music as 'manufactured'... all f'ing music is silly!

most pop music is machine made, plastic, bubble-wrapped, hair extension, taxidermy-fake bullshit.. created by the likes simon cowell or whoever, raping the unconcious family unit who watch xfactor religiously.

you have (at the least) the label>A+R/managers>song writer>producers>musicians>stylists & publicists>POP STAR, this person has nothing to express they sign a life long contract for millions to learn every dance and every song in there fortold discogrophy dictated by an organization who specializes in using music to take your money. that is it. no expression, no meaning.

its like eating computer generated food that is TASTELESS

some music makes me feel like nothing else in the world could make me feel like a spiritual emotional uplifting or something..., and to be honest it wasnt the sugarbabes last release going "coz im too sexy in this club so sexy it hurts"

seperate reality from consumerism you know

had to edit dis bitch

Last edited:
what about jamie T or some of paulo nutini, thats pop and i for one think it's fucking wicked?

and another thing that is anoying is people describing pop music as 'manufactured'... all f'ing music is silly! a better description would be 'mass-marketed'...

should of ellaborated on 'pop' i mean stuff like girls aloud, sclub 7, you know the kinda balls which only sells because it what they look like.

true dat bro... but who is actually 'making' the music, probably someone who has just as much love for music and production as we all do, but needs a pay check more?
well, i dont know man, it really depends. it all comes down to the previous argument; theres no clear definition of good or bad music. just good and bad musicians.
lets take cathy dennis as an example. she started by making pop dance tunes in the 80's. she's released loads of songs in the same vain as an performer but never went particularly big. but she is one of the most well known popular songwriters, who's written pieces such as kylie's "cant get you out of my head", which is in the same vain as most of cathy's previous songs. therefore you cant say that she's selling out, as she's stuck writing the same style she likes. you could always accuse her of being one dimensional and repetitive, but then massive attack have also always made the same sort of music, and enjoyed varying levels of commercial success. still, people have always considered them as good musicians.
on the other side, take mick harris of napalm death. he started off as a metal drummer, and now he's making dubstep as Scorn. could you say that he sold out and jumped on a popular style to make a buck ? well, again no, cause if you hear both those projects, ND and scorn, they both share the dark & heavy feel, and all their material is written by themselves. so its just the same artist translating his work in a different area of music.
you can examine similar examples ad nauseum, and you can raise arguments from both sides for each one: does bjork keeps changing her style of music in an attempt to explore new sounds and compositional territories, or is she trying to appeal to the public ? did william orbit wrote music for madonna for the money, or for artistic merit ? when you're trying to make sense of all of this it is very important that you cancel out any personal preferences, and examine each case in an emotionless and calculative way. and thats a tough thing to do.
i keep seeing people writing about how much clipz's tunes suck. but that's just personal preference. in my book, as long as someone is writing his/her own music, and has some sort of following, then he/her can be deemed as a good musician. for whether you can call the actual music good or not, see above...

should of ellaborated on 'pop' i mean stuff like girls aloud, sclub 7, you know the kinda balls which only sells because it what they look like.

see, this is what i am getting at... pop is POPULAR music! there is shit loads of good pop out there (if ya like that thing), and to tar them all with the same brush is just as ignorant and cliche as people claiming there music taste is so original because they 'don't listen that britteny & justin, masss produced blah blah wa wa'

look at any tarentino soundtrack... most if not all would have been contempory pop songs in their time, and are for the most part absolutely blinding tracks, are they mass produced/marketed/manufactured rubbsih?

pop's not my thing, so i have no idea why i am sticking up so much for it... but i do hate injustice/false accusations so that maybe why?

but my philosophy on media in general is that if it's 'popular' then chances are it is like by hundres if not thousands of thousands of morons/idiots/cloased minded types, so i take it with a pinch of salt... applies to everything from books, public opinion, film, music etc

fuck ndubz, tinchy strider, chipmonk etal... i'd love to fuck lilly allen, gabrielle chilme and pixie lott (god willing hopefully at the same time!)

sorry to burst any bubbles guys, but dnb and pretty much all rave music is pop. perhaps underground, but it is a popular genre. it isnt art music, and it isnt folk. therefore, pop. (y)

Last edited:
Weather i like the track or not i still show respect to the producer, just because i dont like it dosent mean the track is a waste of time, different people like different fings init.
people that jus comment saying 'this is shit i could do better in my sleep' should say why its shit and maybe the producer will take what people are saying into consideration and use it to make their next tune better- everybody likes different fings simple as that!

in my book, as long as someone is writing his/her own music, and has some sort of following, then he/her can be deemed as a good musician. for whether you can call the actual music good or not, see above...

well said!

Back
Top Bottom