Is it just me or can most of the big name djs not dj at all?

Mish Mash

VIP Junglist
I just went to a night called spoonfed, which had goldie, commix, logistics and nu:tone.

I spent ages trying to persuade loads of non dnb heads to come along and in the end 12 of us went. but all the djs were just sooooooo boring! i swear goldie played about 6 tracks in his 90min set and the mixing was still more out of time then if my mum had been doing it. Commix came on after and the first 2 or so mixes were ok, but then he started playing each track the whole way through and talking to people more then mixing.

Eventually we left at about 2. After being there for about 2 hours. We were pretty hammered but still even the people who had no idea about djing could tell the mixing was bad.

And it wasn't to do with the set up cos loads of other djs have djed at the same place and been fine (including andy c).

I just don't get it, most of the djs on this forum who post in the members mixes bit are so much better then all the djs that get to play out at huge events...who cares if they can make tunes...they can't dj!

rant over...

Some DJ's yes, but not most.
Although I think its because many big name DJ's are first and foremost big name producers, and then they learn to DJ later, as the demand to play comes. Very difficult to become a big name DJ just from spinning records, and without making tunes.

Some DJ's yes, but not most.
Although I think its because many big name DJ's are first and foremost big name producers, and then they learn to DJ later, as the demand to play comes. Very difficult to become a big name DJ just from spinning records, and without making tunes.

Yeah, i started out producing, and I'm just now starting to learn mixing..partly because i want to give it a go, and also people say it's a good way to get more exposure for myself and my tunes...

this is a great piont djing is an art but it also is kinda of advertising tunes if u notice most djs that produce will play loads of thier own stuff to get exposure for thier tunes while playing them next to big bad tunes from other producer which might even been on similar labels as them

everyone has their bad days.......

(Brockie has more of them than most people)..

Tbh, alot of promoters will bring their own sound system to a club so the set may have varied from night to night, probably different to the night to when Andy C played, hence the bad mixing...?

everyone has their bad days.......

(Brockie has more of them than most people)..

Tbh, alot of promoters will bring their own sound system to a club so the set may have varied from night to night, probably different to the night to when Andy C played, hence the bad mixing...?

i dissagree, i saw brockie at evolution in brighton last saturday and he tore the roof off.

I know he has had quite a few bad sets but when hes on form he smashes it!!!

Its just their style in how they play. Iv found listening to Goldie & Commix they do play the tunes for longer. But this is better in some ways as it lets the music breathe a bit rather than trying to smash tune after tune (Andy C)
They have tunes which have enough power on there own which can be played for longer because they quality produced tunes.
Iv always found goldie to mix like this but iv found over the years to prefer mixxing like this rahther than cutting a pasting tunes together too qucikly.
His sets do flow, he always plays bangers, and hes got fuck loads of dubs.
I think people nee to apprecaite people like commix and Goldie alot more.

I just went to a night called spoonfed, which had goldie, commix, logistics and nu:tone.

I spent ages trying to persuade loads of non dnb heads to come along and in the end 12 of us went. but all the djs were just sooooooo boring! i swear goldie played about 6 tracks in his 90min set and the mixing was still more out of time then if my mum had been doing it. Commix came on after and the first 2 or so mixes were ok, but then he started playing each track the whole way through and talking to people more then mixing.

Eventually we left at about 2. After being there for about 2 hours. We were pretty hammered but still even the people who had no idea about djing could tell the mixing was bad.

And it wasn't to do with the set up cos loads of other djs have djed at the same place and been fine (including andy c).

I just don't get it, most of the djs on this forum who post in the members mixes bit are so much better then all the djs that get to play out at huge events...who cares if they can make tunes...they can't dj!

rant over...

All the names you just mentioned were producers before DJ'ing. Goldie has improved a hell of lot from when I first heard him play (contender for the worst set i've ever heard) still not a great DJ tho.

I think it also depends on the venue and the vibe...

If all these big DJs/Producers have been playing at huge raves all week and then have a booking at a small bar venue later, im sure they not gonna take it quite as seriously as the bigger events.

i watched an interview with fresh on dnbtv an he said he's not really a turntablist, just loves producing, but saying that...his mix at clash of the titans 07 was pretty fucking good, maybe it depends on how big the party is and how knackered the dj's are at the time to how well they mix. some dj's have been down to brighton for a night only to go back up to london to do a set the same night, it must take it out of you.

Goldie and Commix are selection over style. Everyone knows that.

Exactly goldie using long blends and breakdowns to hide far from tight mixing skills, but with the tunes he plays are so good it makes up for it

As for Commix, saw them at fabric last week and didn't hear a single clang in their mixing, just because they choose not to bring in a tune every 32 bars like some DJs doesn't mean they're shit DJs, they'll have learnt it as a form of promotion for their music

And I'd much rather listen to a goldie or commix set than a jump up dj who can beat match perfectly, but has an hour set all at the same fierce intensity

Its just their style in how they play. Iv found listening to Goldie & Commix they do play the tunes for longer. But this is better in some ways as it lets the music breathe a bit rather than trying to smash tune after tune (Andy C)
They have tunes which have enough power on there own which can be played for longer because they quality produced tunes.
Iv always found goldie to mix like this but iv found over the years to prefer mixxing like this rahther than cutting a pasting tunes together too qucikly.
His sets do flow, he always plays bangers, and hes got fuck loads of dubs.
I think people nee to apprecaite people like commix and Goldie alot more.

:applause:

One of the first mixes i downloaded was Goldie's 2006 Essential mix, first time i heard BE TRUE, rewound that so many times hahaha

I have seen this many a times down at our local night. Some Djs don't seem to put the effort in that they should but saying that, they have already made it and can afford to relax a bit.

It is mighty frustrating seeing a Dj on the main stage/room just slapping in tunes, with no blending and bearing any eqing.. Always thinking "Wtf, I can mix a shit load better then this, how has this clown got a set here!?" etc etc..

I wouldnt take it to heart, from time to time people are guna just take it easy, and its probably because they can and its not going to effect their progress in any way. They have got to where they are for a reason, they probably all can mix really well just may not prove it all the time..

Exactly goldie using long blends and breakdowns to hide far from tight mixing skills, but with the tunes he plays are so good it makes up for it

As for Commix, saw them at fabric last week and didn't hear a single clang in their mixing, just because they choose not to bring in a tune every 32 bars like some DJs doesn't mean they're shit DJs, they'll have learnt it as a form of promotion for their music

And I'd much rather listen to a goldie or commix set than a jump up dj who can beat match perfectly, but has an hour set all at the same fierce intensity

:word:

You should listen to Goldie's sanctuary 08 set (one of the best sets i've eva heard), or been at the 1st ram at matter, smashed it both times. Just a differnet style. But ye I do know what u mean especially with brookes brothers every time i;ve seen em play its just been shitty switches. But u gotta think, Andy C spends his time perfecting his mixing and finding new mixes, Brookes Brothers spend their time producing SICK tunes therefore their standard of mixin will be lower.

When I saw brookes bros they smashed it! But on the same night I saw the worst mixing by an established DJ/producer iv encountered which was BCee. Any1 seen him?

You should listen to Goldie's sanctuary 08 set (one of the best sets i've eva heard), or been at the 1st ram at matter, smashed it both times. Just a differnet style. But ye I do know what u mean especially with brookes brothers every time i;ve seen em play its just been shitty switches. But u gotta think, Andy C spends his time perfecting his mixing and finding new mixes, Brookes Brothers spend their time producing SICK tunes therefore their standard of mixin will be lower.

Everytime i've heard Brookes i've loved their style and selection...

This is a very subjective topic really, can't judge a DJ on one or a couple of performances.

Back
Top Bottom