Is it just me or can most of the big name djs not dj at all?

When I saw brookes bros they smashed it! But on the same night I saw the worst mixing by an established DJ/producer iv encountered which was BCee. Any1 seen him?

Was that at the Soul Cellar?
I didn't go to the Brooks Brothers night there but Bcee seemed alright when Danny Byrd was there and more recently Xample and Lomax.
Why was he bad?
I know what people are saying though. I think a lot of the DJ's on this forum could smash a few established names into the ground!
Most ive seen though are really good. For example Logistics, Goldie, Alix Perez, Crystal Clear etc.

we had Goldie & Commix down at rumble the other day and they smshed it! Goldie dropped inner city life man what a legend.. played a well dark set that asbo tune is dutty!!

Some DJ's yes, but not most.
Although I think its because many big name DJ's are first and foremost big name producers, and then they learn to DJ later, as the demand to play comes. Very difficult to become a big name DJ just from spinning records, and without making tunes.

spot on indi!

A couple of other things:

Producer DJs play a lot of their own stuff and want it be heard properly, so they're likely gonna switch in before the drop and let it develop so that a) people can hear it and 2) they can judge people's reactions. No point from their point of view in double dropping a new track with Alien Girl is there?

Also yeah its just the style DJs play. It would sound horrible if a nice progressive roller got dropped and 2 seqeunces later a new track came in. And it ain't all about speed either, I'd probably rate Marky as the best there is and he often lets a track drop twice.

Also its harder mixing in a club. Plus you're less likely to want to take a risk with near silent breakdowns for example, and double drop two tracks as that would be painful if it went wrong live.

Was that at the Soul Cellar?
I didn't go to the Brooks Brothers night there but Bcee seemed alright when Danny Byrd was there and more recently Xample and Lomax.
Why was he bad?
I know what people are saying though. I think a lot of the DJ's on this forum could smash a few established names into the ground!
Most ive seen though are really good. For example Logistics, Goldie, Alix Perez, Crystal Clear etc.

Yea it was mate. Part of me died the other day when I realised that I missed cyantific... Did u go?

Sometimes promoters are slackj and teh set up is all wrong...if you cant hear teh monitor, or have a nasty echo, and then add producer 1st, dj 2nd to teh equation , it won't be teh best mix ever

the reason big name djs can get away with it is they've already given so much back to the scene. you dont get anywhere being the best bedroom dj in the world and putting dj joe bloggs on the line up is pointless regardless of how good he is at djing. putting brockie on the line up however would pull in a croud regardless of the set he played.

Just seem Goldie down in Cardiff at Hospitality and fairplay he can actually mix lol, his performance on the recent D&B Arena was pretty shite I thought but stepped it up earlier, although I only saw half hour of him cuz Icicle was in the other room who slammed the place up :D

I have been saying this to my mates for ages. Its not how people like Goldie DJ its the tunes they play. Im really into my dark DnB and love the style. I would much rather this then jump up shit. The metalheadz night at custard factory last year was awesome.

we had Goldie & Commix down at rumble the other day and they smshed it! Goldie dropped inner city life man what a legend.. played a well dark set that asbo tune is dutty!!

Agreed. Goldie smashed the rumble!! His mixing was tight and his tune selection was spot on. Also, he played Age Of Empires which is a personal favourite and one you don't hear out that often.

Back
Top Bottom