Is it inappropriate to send something unfinished to a label?

RevTech

Butthole=output transduce
VIP Junglist
Is it inappropriate to send something unfinished to a label? I have a tune I'm working on that seems to be my best but it's not yet finished, yet again I do have a song done that is finished but sending two tracks would be a bit much dont you think?

It depends on the label, some labels say on their pages or something "please don't send unfinished tunes."
So use your judgement I guess :D

Is it inappropriate to send something unfinished to a label? I have a tune I'm working on that seems to be my best but it's not yet finished, yet again I do have a song done that is finished but sending two tracks would be a bit much dont you think?

think of this:
If you were a label owner what would you want?

On the other hand think about this: the impact of listening a GOOD non finished tune and then again listening to it, is not the same impact as listening to a GOOD finished tune.
You know the line, the more you hear the more you get used to it's "good"-ness.

And man, sending 2 or 3 tunes to a label is the standard, as that will give you more chances to get digi-signed and getting a solo EP or something...

judging an artist by just one tune is a bit senseless.

some labels may not want full tunes, not that i'm sure they wouldn't take them if they're good but if you're sending demos i'm sure there's no harm in sending a 2 or 3 minutes tune.

Most labels probably would prefer a finished tune but the point of a demo submission is that it's not a finished product, it's the idea/rough draft, if you will.

Depends on who the person is / if i know them / etc etc.

In general if you don't know the people i'd wait till its finished.

EDIT: And about the how many tunes problem, more than one isn't an issue.

Last edited:
yea from experience it all depends on who you're sending em to. I would only send unfinished clips to labels i speak to regularly and who i no wont mind. if unsure just ask them if u can send a clip.

I think quite the contrary now... I like to hone and sharpen the tunes for ages before I send off. I'm currently even looking to getting a few tunes mastered by an outsider before sending. I'll see how that goes.

I think quite the contrary now... I like to hone and sharpen the tunes for ages before I send off. I'm currently even looking to getting a few tunes mastered by an outsider before sending. I'll see how that goes.

This is something that pops up a fair bit as well.

On the whole i dont really think its necessary, if its going to be released chances are the label will master it themselves (for sure if its coming on vinyl). It could possibly sway the balance, but is by no means required.

One of our artists gets stuff mastered himself, which is nice for playing out, but doesnt factor into signing or not for me.

No dont send unfinished tunes to a label, obviously lol

If you are on good personal terms with them and/or they have released stuff of yours in the past then yeah send it over

On the mastering query too, no dont waste your money on mastering there is no point, vinyl releases will be mastered beforehand and would need an unmastered copy before release and if it was a digital release if the label is worth their salt they would get mastered too

save your money

Yeah I did a single tune master in the past just out of curiosity, to see what the difference would be. It was signed and the label had a fresh mastering job done.

This is just something I was sort of entitled to, a band owes me a favour and their recording engineer does EDM mastering. Just pulling up the favour-for-another card here, no money involved, at least on my part LOL

Back
Top Bottom