Is it disappointing ? switching from vinyl to cdj ?

omowglio

i have myself to sl mk2 at the mo and one cdj 200, watching all videos of dj's and watching my mates, they seem to find it much easier on cdj's, i love vinyl but is expensive and is harder , do you think im cheating switching over , cz its easier and another plus is i can put more money into production,

whats everyones opinion ?

na i didnt find it dissapointing at all infact i was quite happy switchin as i had alot more tunes to mix but i kept one turntable for my vinyl

CD is not easier. I have always found on 1210's that the pitch feels the best. I find the slider on all cd's to be too free moving. I like the smooth feel of the slider on 1210's almost as if it has a hydraulic damper on it... Lovely!

I like both formats, but have certainly been leaning towards to mp3's due to cost. Also once you have saved all your cue point on your track, cueing is far quicker and easier than on vinyl, but I still certainly prefer the feel and responce of the pitch on technics.

CD is not easier. I have always found on 1210's that the pitch feels the best. I find the slider on all cd's to be too free moving. I like the smooth feel of the slider on 1210's almost as if it has a hydraulic damper on it... Lovely!

Even as someone who mixes pretty much purely on vinyl, but occasionally plays cds at mates houses or whatever, I think CD's are easier :S

Sure, I much prefer the feel of vinyl (and it would take a lot more then something being easier for me to switch) but once you lock a tune on a cdj it seems to just stick, whereas (I presume due to the imperfections of a vinyl) you chase the mix a lot more on a vinyl deck.

as long as the tunez are still smashin out.. does it reallymatter where it comes from?

Even as someone who mixes pretty much purely on vinyl, but occasionally plays cds at mates houses or whatever, I think CD's are easier :S

Sure, I much prefer the feel of vinyl (and it would take a lot more then something being easier for me to switch) but once you lock a tune on a cdj it seems to just stick, whereas (I presume due to the imperfections of a vinyl) you chase the mix a lot more on a vinyl deck.

See for me this is the other way round. I got a set of cdj 2000's and 3 technics 1210 mk5g's. I have always found the technics pitch to be more solid. The only thing with the cdj is it provides me with more information, and information is your friend. After a few days of mixing dubstep I could say that 90% (of the dubstep I own) is exactly the same speed, well that doesnt mean everyone can mix a tune thats exactly the same speed without clashing (how often this happens is unreal!)... I always see it as eliminate something you now and compensate another way. Dont wave the pitch around on a track you now is the same speed as the last, you will push it out yourself.

I have only done three deck mixes on vinyl and think for anything other than dubstep that would be my ideal choice for three decks. Having mix so long on vinyl I think the feel of the pitch is something that will be very difficult to match. I sometimes think it is probably a personal thing and I have just got very used to the 1210, because all sense leads to the cd deck being better.

Edit

Do certainly agree that a cd deck will lock solid aswell, and eventually a vinyl turntable will work it way out. Which basically contradicts me liking the pitch on the vinyl better... meh :teeth:

---------- Post added at 23:50 ---------- Previous post was at 23:40 ----------

as long as the tunez are still smashin out.. does it reallymatter where it comes from?

nope... I think everyone should have both!

Last edited:
talking of the pitch, on my cdjs the pitch slider is not accurate really, you can move it almost a cm and sometimes the speed doesnt change.. could just be cos iv nackered it but its definitely not as accurate as it could be.
maybe its time to get some pioneers..

I mix cds and I can tell you honestly I have much for respect for vinyl djs that can step up to the decks in any club and smash it out off the bat. Mixing at home doesnt mean shit, I can mix vinyl all day long and never miss a beat but if you can do that in a club everytime under all sorts of shit decks and mixer then you are a better man then me.

But on the contrary I can do much more on 2 decks and much more fluently than a vinyl dj could purely because I spend a shit load of time makin the set as fast and clean as possible, and cdjs aloow me to do this. You can edit the tracks down, you can loop stuff in a DAW before hand, do pretty much anything pre-set and then make mixes that arent possible on vinyl.

its up to you at the end of the day but cdjs and digital are the way forward, less and less clubs are maintaining their technics and its only going to get worse.

what i dont get is why so many people think you need to be one or the other? its the 21st centuary man... multi-format dj's for the win!

i like cdj's cos of cost, and ease of getting a tune (not mixing, i can clang just as easy on vinyl as cdjs!), and the fact i produce, so bashing your own tunage cant be beat (y)

I'm going to invest in a CDJ at some point after playing on a Numark NDX 800 at a mates house. Found it so easy to use! One of the main things I don't like about them is not being able to see the actual grooves of the vinyl on a CDJ, I like the fact you can instantly tell where abouts in the tune you are on a record. Sounds a bit stupid saying it, but it makes sense to me.

I have just taken too vinyl so well and spend alot on it i dont wana have to get rid of it all now. might just get one CDJ eventually so i can get used to mixing with it.

I'm going to invest in a CDJ at some point after playing on a Numark NDX 800 at a mates house. Found it so easy to use! One of the main things I don't like about them is not being able to see the actual grooves of the vinyl on a CDJ, I like the fact you can instantly tell where abouts in the tune you are on a record. Sounds a bit stupid saying it, but it makes sense to me.

you get used to it on cdj's too... cos you have a timer... 32 bars is somewhere between 43-45s (y)

you get used to it on cdj's too... cos you have a timer... 32 bars is somewhere between 43-45s (y)

I just like the actual visual representation of how long the tune is and where the drops are. Like you say though, I'm just so used to using vinyl that anything else feels alien.

Vision, but it's a load of numbers. So it's a numerical representation. The grooves on a vinyl give you an actual discernable representation of where you are. No?

Vision, but it's a load of numbers. So it's a numerical representation. The grooves on a vinyl give you an actual discernable representation of where you are. No?

yea i agree with you here its also alot quicker to cue with vinyl if u dont want to begin from the intro

Back
Top Bottom