is it actually impossible to get a beasty bassline from a synth only?

mistasfx

MISTA SFX
VIP Junglist
Ive read that producers these days are more n more relying on processing away from the synths to get boss, nasty bass and sounds.

I ask this coz i constantly get frustrated with not being able to get that extra bit of nastiness from a synth. I can get movement etc in the synth but as for matching my sounds with beasty sounds, i just seem to be missing a trick and feel im relying too much on my synth.

I do add subtle distortions on the output of my synths and some eq but thats about it.

Any tips as such to what i could be missing or what i should start including in my buses?

ez
i hear you. trick is always in the fx chain man. also some resampling could work wonders. depending on the bassline you want to achieve. like you said subtle distortion, reverb, etc. play with camel phat, guitar rig etc on ya bass. mess with some filters. what i do is set the main synth channel to about 3 or 2 busses. split the frequencies high,mid, low. i then set the main channel to no output. the low buss i might put and autofilter for some movement usually over 2 bars. then i would use the gain plugin to force it to mono. suble compression might follow. on the mid buss i just go crazy---wow filter,chorus delays etc... on the high might just have very slight distortion and maybe chorus n some reverb.
new technique i am working on is using a vocoder on the mids.
bless

if you can only send to one bus at a time why not double/triple your bass channel and have each one sending to a bus with the necessary split frequency ranges

yeah i dont think thats the question, i think the questsion is can you get a beaty nbasslinen from one bus of vsts.
and the answer is, yes, if you know how to? if not then no. and i recommend resampling until you know what youre lookign for by heart and can replicate that with a few vsts. its really not about gear. its about having had the gear so you can know the sound youre after. its subtle you see.

i can make several sends for FX but u can only set the output for one midi channel to one bus then send that to another bus then that to another. dont think i can make the same output go to 3 separate buses

I use logic and it is very possible. I'm sure u can do it in Cubase too. I know I strayed from the question as I was just trying to help.
Ez

I can pump out a sick bassline that gives you a spastic bowl with just the Thor Polysonic synth in Reason. So i'd say yes it is possible.

i can make several sends for FX but u can only set the output for one midi channel to one bus then send that to another bus then that to another. dont think i can make the same output go to 3 separate buses
In Logic you turn the output of the channell Off, the using use 3 sends on 0, now have the Lo, Mid, Hi frequency splits on the 3 separate buses - Then you have fully adjustment of each band. This must be the same for Cubase

More often than not you will need some processing on the sound outside of a synth. However, if you make your synth sound really full to begin with then you will find it much easier in the processing stage. Also, when it comes to processing I personally never bother to split the frequencies of a sound - it's much simpler to edit the whole sound on its own- using relevant plugins and techniques

as someone said above. duplicate your synth and send every synth to a different mixer channel. no need for busing then.

Get as nasty/beasty as you can from the synth and then re-sample/mangle and you 10x boss fo sho

Get as nasty/beasty as you can from the synth and then re-sample/mangle and you 10x boss fo sho

This is one thing i've yet to master, resampling. Not for the want of trying might I add! I just dont get it! I mean, I understand how to turn my midi into audio blah blah blah, but there's a couple of things that bemuse me.....

Do you resample just a single note?, or the whole bassline melody? Once imported as audio, what benefits do you have? I ask this because neuro dnb is by far one of my favourite genres, but I find it so elusive as I still cannot get the warping, morphing basslines I so desire! Infact, I believe this makes up a big part of my writers block and lack of motivation right now!

This is one thing i've yet to master, resampling. Not for the want of trying might I add! I just dont get it! I mean, I understand how to turn my midi into audio blah blah blah, but there's a couple of things that bemuse me.....

Do you resample just a single note?, or the whole bassline melody? Once imported as audio, what benefits do you have? I ask this because neuro dnb is by far one of my favourite genres, but I find it so elusive as I still cannot get the warping, morphing basslines I so desire! Infact, I believe this makes up a big part of my writers block and lack of motivation right now!

This for me as well.

I listen to certain tunes and i think 'they must be resampling, resampling and resampling each part of that bass change to do that'

Back
Top Bottom