Is it a good or a bad habit?

mykono5

Aru R.
I have a habit of putting crash cymbals each 16 bars and downlifter sweeps on each 32 bars. Some people that have listened to my tracks say I gotta stop it 'cause that's where I suck at making DnB.

I wonder if it's a good habit or not? Should I leave that habit or just keep doing it?

I wouldn't say its a bad habit, just be sure to change things up. Stickin the same crash after every 32 might become noticable, only put it where you think its needed, when the flow changes. Use a different variety of up and down sweeps, try create your own.

I wouldn't say its a bad habit, just be sure to change things up. Stickin the same crash after every 32 might become noticable, only put it where you think its needed, when the flow changes. Use a different variety of up and down sweeps, try create your own.

So I gotta use different crash instead of just using one? Okay then. And I usually made the sweeps myself by using Operator's noise waveform and automate the bandpass filter freq.

not bad i you do it with different samples and stop using w.noise sweeps,i listened example you posted and there is some really ear bleeding freq especially if you listen on louder volume.

If you are going to go for different crash samples try and pick a couple that go well together, if they're too obviously different then it could just sound worse.

Maybe they're just god awfully loud and thus stick out too much?
Nothing wrong with using crashes to make things a bit more interesting.

I agree with you. I made them too loud. My reason to make it at a pretty high volume is to make the drop a bit bigger. I guess I overdid it...

not bad i you do it with different samples and stop using w.noise sweeps,i listened example you posted and there is some really ear bleeding freq especially if you listen on louder volume.

I usually hi-pass the crash above 3 KHz, it's probably the cause of the "ear bleeding freq" and the white noise sweep.

If you are going to go for different crash samples try and pick a couple that go well together, if they're too obviously different then it could just sound worse.

Sure thing.

The sweep has the most blatant ear bleeding frequencies. Put a lpf at the end of the chain to keep those frequencies under control.

Yes, it is a bad habit to add sounds just for the sake of having a rule. Being objective still takes decision making.

if they getting boring, try silent side chaining on the risers and downers... silent as in side chain it to a muted a channel on a pattern convenient to you and ur track so you get a sorta pumping feeling...

ive got the exact same habbit.....ive been told that sometimes less is more....its so tempting to chuck a cymbol in....i tend to still do it but keep it quiet in the mix. make it really subtle...depends a lot on the track aswell

if they getting boring, try silent side chaining on the risers and downers... silent as in side chain it to a muted a channel on a pattern convenient to you and ur track so you get a sorta pumping feeling...
Should I sidechain them to the kick drum, which the pattern is not 4-on-the-floor, or make the sidechain like in those house music?

The sweep has the most blatant ear bleeding frequencies. Put a lpf at the end of the chain to keep those frequencies under control.

Yes, it is a bad habit to add sounds just for the sake of having a rule. Being objective still takes decision making.
Okay then... I think I have to do it less than usual... :|

I'm the opposite, I pretty much never user rises in my tunes... not because I choose not to, I just never got in the habit.

Okay then... I think I have to do it less than usual... :|

Why the long face? Another way I could have phrased it, is listen and decide if the rhythm needs emphasizing on those bars. It's possible you'll have a track where it sounds better to have the crash every 8 bars and no sweeps. As you practice making decisions, it becomes easier and eventually will lead you to your own style.

Back
Top Bottom