Is Hospital back on track?

I guess it will massively depend who you talk to. I used to always check their stuff up until about 2005 but not really at all in the last few years.

Quite enjoyed the recent spy bits I have heard though & last logistics & nu tone LPs were decent.

I am shocked at some of the replies on this feed.

Imo Hospital have been sliding away for years now, sure, there are a few exceptions, nu-tone, spy (hit and miss), some logistics tracks.

In my view hospital present a fine example of how DnB / Jungle has been watered down for the masses.

They release a few good tunes from time to time but to me it seems that Med School are miles ahead with forward thinking jungle / dnb.

I guess it's all opinion but sometimes when I look back at their early releases their new stuff makes me confused as to their direction.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

They are releasing songs not tunes !!!!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

This.

So glad im not the only person who feels Hospital are abysmal. It's a shame because I used to love the label

if you don't like what SPY is doing, you just simply don't like good D&B IMO...

- - - Updated - - -

and if his last 2 albums came out on Headz, most of you saying Hospital is shit would have been wanking all over them I bet. Who cares what label they were on, tunes are heat. End of.

Not sure if i'd say Hospital is back on track, but the S.P.Y album was really good.

Nu:Tone's album is ok, the rest has been pretty shit imo (Netsky, Camo & Crooked, Metrik, Fred V etc etc), but I was expecting them to be crap. The biggest disappointment was the Logistics album tbh...

See, the thing here is that we've all listened to the stuff Hospital's been putting out.

But what I'm assuming, and correct me if I'm wrong, is that some peepz here have been cranking Hospital stuff for way longer than others... I myself consider myself a more recent listener - I think the first thing I heard on Hospital that was brand new was the album by Logistics 'Now More Than Ever' in like 2005/2006? and I liked it and went and listened to their older stuff. But, and I'm sorry for this to those that care, I thoroughly dislike basically everything London Elektricity as a producer has ever put out, while loving most of High Contrast's stuff. I can't stand Danny Byrd's shit, nor Netsky's, nor any of the cheese from C&K's or Fred V & Grafix's new bits, yet I love NuTone, Loggy and the combined NuLogic stuff.

What I'm trying to say here is that we all have diff tastes so are never gonna come to a consensus, other than to agree that some people like some stuff and others like some stuff too with a wee bit of overlap. My opinion is that Hospital Records does well to put out a variety of stuff that appeals to different people, and no doubt they try hard to do their best, however, remembering an interview I watched frustrated about how shite Loggy's Fear Not album sounded, Matt had said that this was the album he always wanted to make and that the way he saw it was that Hospital help craft the first 1 or 2 albums to the sound they wanna put out and then give you free reign to make or break yourself after that. The way I see it is too many people focus on labels now, forcing producers to fit under a banner of 'sound' and 'expected tunes' if they wanna make a living creating tunes (or songs). It is merely for a moment that they are tied to a record contract and are obliged to fit these sounds. The best of producers are the ones who can stay or move on and keep their output true to themselves and their high standards (like Dan and Matt mostly have).

In saying that I believe the new kids on the block are pushing boundaries waaaaay further than anyone on Hospitals tried, tested and sometimes successful recipe. Dudes like Phil Tangent, Mako, Emperor are really keeping the soul and funk respectively alive on labels like Integral, Symmetry, Critical, Flexout, and guys like the Technimatic boys are creating awesome catchy "Hospital-esque" tunes without layers of cheese on top (Desire Paths was incredible!), while young fullas like Clarity and others on the Auxiliary and Presha's Samurai rosters are pushing the boundaries between 170 stuff and techno thinking forwards. I don't think Hospital was ever off-track, it was always a pop-dnb label compared to other labels, and very accessible; instead we as a group of dnb fans, listeners and djs just got exposed to fresher and forward thinking stuff and as a result are far less tolerant of the shite made to encourage a higher gig and festival attendance of 18 year old kids, ignorant of the amazing technical, soulful, future proof dnb actually being released.

Just an opinion of course. I love dnb but I'm unwilling to get stuck in the past wishing everything sounded like "Classic choon here".\

Spy albums bored me after 2 full play-throughs so I'm with 808 on that one. Hope this year's a goodun kiddies :) Much love

Weren't you one of the people who wanted more tunes from Back to Basics 2 pressed?

Good memory you got there steve! :thumbsup:

With S.P.Y it's always the same story for me. I think the LP is hench as fuck for the first few listens, then it quickly bores me and fades into distant memory... :(

Good memory you got there steve! :thumbsup:

With S.P.Y it's always the same story for me. I think the LP is hench as fuck for the first few listens, then it quickly bores me and fades into distant memory... :(

I agree with you on this one, but I have that with a lot of tunes, anyway. Just some much that gets released these days that it's easy to get over it.

lol

Hospital fucked it with the cheese, but not as badly as RAM lol, I can listen to some Hospital tunes with a straight face.

Don't worry. We might get a 'Ram is back on track' thread in 20 years time. That is if they stop releasing the dross they've been serving up for the past few years.

Back
Top Bottom