is garage dead?

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by logikz, Jan 15, 2006.

1. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

...yet? or what i dont hear a whole lot about it anymore. No club nights with garage in amsterdam either, you hear the occasional track here and there but thats it. Most of it seems to have been absorbed by r'n'b. Whats it like in the UK these days? US?

2. Alba

Alba geddiddinya

my bud has just come back from living in the UK for 2 years (Brixton lolz) and he is a total garagehead and loves his rnb. he wasn't when he left, he liked the occaisional bit of garage but mostly listened to house and dnb. he did say that there aren't many big nights anymore, mostly smaller gigs and dedicated headz on the pirate freqs. i'm sure the uk guys here would be able to clarify.

3. moriaty

moriaty Active Member

all the kids who used to listen to garage are into grime now.
    cant complain really..at least grime got that distorted feel to it..garig was just crap...rip..thank fuk
    :drunk:

4. Serum

Serum Well-Known Member

Grime has kinda come from garage. There was always such a lot of violence associated with it that the name keeps changing so the police don't just shut em down right away. First it was Speed Garage, then 2 Step, then UKG, then Grime, Dubstep, Eski blah blah blah

I think in Brum if you play garage for longer than an hour you need a certain amount of police for the venue size which ends up being such a rip off you can't do the night.

Dnb is getting like that now they've shut down the garage nights though!

5. 12 inch grinch

12 inch grinch Active Member

speed garage 4x4 is different to 2 step but in the garage genre i think garage is just as big but not round the southcoast from what i no . there loads ukg rave in midlands all the time .

6. mesh

mesh Active Member

are dnb nights goin thru a roughed up patch again over there...? I mean I know its always around anywhere, but does vary a bit too. seems like the knobs just flit back and forth between the two scenes for the last 10 years or so ...(n)

7. Serum

Serum Well-Known Member

2 step Garage kinda came from all that though didn't it, with the basslines and all that.
    Still had as much trouble at nights, even the 4x4 nights kick off big style in Brum, it all blurs into one!

8. Alba

Alba geddiddinya

there's been a couple of garage nights here lately and they've played grime aswell. i gotta say its a nice sound but i cant listen to it for more than about 3 tracks...

9. sneezing7

sneezing7 .:wOOp:.

2005 in Ayia Napa saw very little Garage. As mentioned in another post it seems as if Grime is the new flavor.
    2004 on the other hand was Garage central over here. All the name like Heartless crew and so on were "mashing it up". Personally I think 2006 will be rnb year (unfortunately)

Personally I can't get into all this 2step, UKG, grime etc....... they seem to lack rolling bass lines.

An Interesting read:

Grime & UKG in Mogadishu

10. mesh

mesh Active Member

saw that mogadishu article a while back, how bizarre. man, it must mean something to them, and i can see how the sound is their thing in a twisted kinda way

11. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

Remember back in the day when the triumph of house and garage led to loud proclamations from Mixmag and the like about dnb being dead and garage taking over the breakbeat? I'll admit I listened to quite a lot of it - but only to avoid the house most clubs were playing.

Now we're in jungle's second youth... well at least thats what it seem like to me.

12. Serum

Serum Well-Known Member

Thing I notice is that when garage and grime people get big they soon bail out on the music, doing hiphop and other stuff that gets them more cash.

They have a little scene, it gets shut down, then a new one starts. Dnb seems to have stood the test of time and though there have been rough patches the music is still dnb!

13. mISHKA

mISHKA Member

Loads of people round my way still listen to 'old' 2 step, as well as grime.

I reckon some 2 step tunes are alright, and some of the MCs aint bad either,

MC Vapour is just pure joke :D :D

14. $marty

$marty Dexcell Staff Member

garage makes me angry. . . you wouldn't like me when i am angry. . .