Is dnb the definitive genre of the noughties?

I'd say House was, both underground & commercially really, in both aspects its wholely more successful than D&B...

Saying that, d&b was arguably more underground, but it grow out of the Acid House Scene anyway.

If you're talking its crossover into the mainstream & its more commercial success in terms of commercial radio airplay & advertising etc its a toughie... I'd say its been more apparent in the new millenium than it ever was in the 90s...

Meh, I could go on & but I can't be bothered!

dont really see how it could be, for a start, DnB hasnt featured massivly in the Pop charts, which is probly the best way of working out definitive genres, even if its a bit of a painful way of doing it. Trance for eg, features massivly thruout the world, both in underground dance, commercial clubs and the pop charts, same goes for house and techno.

I think you need to narrow your question down a bit, more like, what defined drum and bass in the noughties? DnB is a fairly small genre if you look at it on the grand scale of all things musical, even classical music has a bigger following.....perhaps is DnB the definitive EDM (electronic dance music) genre of the naughties...that could be quite interesting, although I dont think its true, DnB certainly has influences from across the whole EDM spectrum, and has influenced everything else at the same time

Last edited:
a uni project only 1000 words but need opinions from people who know and care about it. more to do wiht its development in the 00s and where it fits in wiht the dance music scene in general.

Last edited:
of course not

It's definitely gained more recognistion as a genre but in no way did it define a decade musically. Britpop did in the 90's and it defined the era in terms of sound and like someone else said, chart success.

D&B hasn't really broken through in that way and I hate to say it, Dubstep has had far greater success in that respect than D&B has

yeah i agree with wayne, dubstep and especially grime have been quite large in the underground and commercial scenes.

no, Ive gotta agree with moskit. I think house is the genre to write about really. DnB is a funny Genre really, people seem to either love it or hate it, where as house could be seen as more generic to the pop scene, without the loyal following of DnB. I dont think DnB heads on the whole would want it to become more comercially successful anyway, as its "our music"

Back
Top Bottom