Is Audio Interface Worth Buying?

Discussion in 'Production' started by Kopacetic, May 5, 2014.

1. Kopacetic

Kopacetic Member

The title pretty much says it all.

I think I am at the point where in order for me to improve (production-wise), some hardware must be purchased. And I heard that an audio interface is one of them. I have heard mix opinions about audio interfacing improving sound quality, so I must know if it is worth buying....

.... I know that it is pretty much use for studio monitors (which I do not have), but I heard some, like the Focusrite Scarlett, have headphone jacks. (Of course, I am planning on buying studio monitors eventually, but I am pretty tight on money.... and I already have good headphones (imo)... Sennheiser HD280 Pro...

So, is audio interface worth buying?
    Also, please explain why.... that would be helpful, even if it's brief.

Thanks!

2. flopix

flopix Member

Yes it's worth buying.The benefits are recording, easy volume control and a slight difference in quality maybe.But please save up for studio monitors and acoustic treatment.Believe me its worth it, I was in the same position as you once and I saved up for some studio monitors and acoustic treatment then after that I bought an audio interface.Know the feeling, I was tight on money also and needed to wait quite some time to buy all those things but it was worth the wait.

3. Kopacetic

Kopacetic Member

I thought I need an audio interface to even set up a studio monitor. Plus I do not know if I could afford both studio monitors and an audio interface.

4. Dark Lizardro

Dark Lizardro The Lizard that has a hammer Staff Member

I recently bought a Presonus Audiobox USB (one of the only two interfaces avaliable on this shithole of country I live in), and so far I've noticed that there was an improvement on the overall quality of the sound, not too much, but it's noticeable, and that I can listen to things much louder than before, on my headphones (I don't have monitors).

5. flopix

flopix Member

You dont need an audio interface for studio monitors, just buy the right cables(TRS to 3.5mm audio jack), any audio shop should have cables like that.I had them connected directly to my computer soundcard for quite some time and it worked perfectly fine.

6. lostnthesound

lostnthesound Burns Easily in the Sun

The problem is that this won't work for everyone, especially producer's using powerful computers. 3.5mm 2 to 1 RCA cables suffer from the same problem as any unbalanced cable–there is no grounding. The lack of grounding leads to the dreaded "machine hum" or any other audible electrical interference that can plague the output of your monitors. . You're also at the mercy of the D/A conversion of your computer's stock audio card which more than likely pales in comparison to even a low-end audio interface.

If budget is an issue, then use your computer's built-in (free) audio interface. However, if you can afford a pair of decent monitors you can surely afford a decent audio interface–you owe to your monitors so that you can use them to their fullest potential. :)

Last edited: May 6, 2014
  7. flopix

flopix Member

Hmm didn't know about that as I didn't have any problems.But good to know :)