DnB Is a warehouse party out of the question?

Sup dnb massive.

I'm enquiring about whether a warehouse party is out of the question. After discussing with club owners on where to run my night, I'm generally fed up of them and wish to take it into my own hands. I'm looking into industrial units, 'warehouses' or anywhere suitable for a party. I want to know what laws would be around this, whether the upfront cost is rediculous and not worth it, and whether it'll survive the whole night without cops busting down the door.

The night will generally be Drum & Bass, Oldschool Jungle, and Dubstep. I know a few DJs and they seem well up for it, even if they don't get paid for the first few nights. It will be in Nottingham, where I currently live. I aim to bring back the oldschool sound, as well as the new stuff.

I've looked into licencing and it turns out you can get a temporary licence for a day, this will give you the entertainment licence and alcohol sales licence for up to 499 people, and shouldn't be a problem getting if health & safety is up to standards at the venue, and it doesn't piss off any inhabitants around the venue. This seems the way forward than paying thousands of pounds for a yearly licence, as maybe a night will be run once a month or so. It's also pretty cheap and you can pick one up for like £40.

I'd have to discuss sound levels with the council I guess, and attempt to soundproof the venue as much as possible. As for the rig, it'd have to be rented, I don't own a beasty sound system. Would it also be completely out of the question to have the night 16+? I think there is such a demand for club nights for the 16+ it's rediculous here in Nottingham, and with nights such as UTR as their only option I feel sorry for them. It'd work on a wristband basis, anyone 18+ who wants to buy alcohol would show ID on the door, and be given a different coloured wristband for 18+ which allows them to buy the alcohol at the bar, anyone who fails to provide ID will still be allowed in, but given an U18 wristband, making them unable to purchase alcohol at the bar. Professional bouncers would be hired for the nights, with first aid training.

I have a team of around 8 people who will help me organise it if this goes ahead. I'm thinking new year to debut the night.

Can anyone give me any advice as I'm sure many of you have put on nights etc.

Also to note my older brother runs nights in Manchester regularly and will help me out with it... he runs 3 successfull nights that regularly sell out. I also have another brother working for Hospital Records, and is involved with Hospitality etc. And yet another working as a manager for artists such as KOAN Sound & Culprate.

Thanks for any help.

Joe Residence.

Maybe so but that is one of the selling points, you see there is such a demand for stuff for the U18s here, and yes, it could be an event just for 16-18 year olds but honestly they're lame as fuck. Yeah having kids at gigs is annoying for the older ones but I think 16+ is alright, anything under that is a no.

go for it sounds like a good idea, under 18's might be a problem as mentioned before but if you think its a massive selling point who am I to judge haha, also I would make sure that the sound system is good before the night and know what levels to have it at, not for council but for the sake of the speakers, been to too many squat raves where the speakers have been destroyed by people and that will give you a bad reputation, also regarding that make sure the DJ's don't go mad and eq it to a point when the speakers just blow, seen this before as well and it's the worst thing that can happen in the rave, other than that good luck mate

A group of us are looking at setting up a similar thing down here in dorset.

Personally, I don't see a problem with 16+ events, I remember being 16/17 and being pissed off I couldn't go to decent nights.

16+ and 18+ does work in the same venue, think of festivals, sometimes the kids are 15 or younger!

I think the main point is don't book DJs that play music that will bring in the wrong crowd...

Back
Top Bottom