Is a compressor like ADSR?

RevTech

Butthole=output transduce
VIP Junglist
As in if I set the release of a compressor to an 8th note, do I have to factor in the compressors attack time (and hold possibly) if I want a perfectly in time compressor "pump"? I'm guessing note because certain plugins just use values like 8th note and then if you switch it back to miliseconds it doesn't factor in the attack time but it is interesting.

question 2: So would the transient that is triggering the compressor create some interesting effects by moving things backwards and forwards? And would you be able to fix this with buss compression

As in if I set the release of a compressor to an 8th note, do I have to factor in the compressors attack time (and hold possibly) if I want a perfectly in time compressor "pump"? I'm guessing note because certain plugins just use values like 8th note and then if you switch it back to miliseconds it doesn't factor in the attack time but it is interesting.

question 2: So would the transient that is triggering the compressor create some interesting effects by moving things backwards and forwards? And would you be able to fix this with buss compression

Answer 1: I'm not quite sure what you mean by "set the release of a compressor to an 8th note," as the values of compressors are typically set in ms or static values. I suppose if you were to use a ms to BPM table/converter to figure out the exact time you could in theory create the perfect pump sound if that's what you're after. Of course it would also depend upon the value of your threshold as well as your Ratio and Attack.

Answer 2: Assuming you're referring to the sidechaining, yes, different hits/transients will create a slightly different "timbre" with regards to the audible sidechaining character. For example, a punchy, sharp snare as the trigger will have a different sidechain affect on the target than a booming, release-heavy kick.

As far as a compressor being like ADSR, ADSR lacks a threshold device to trigger a "reaction". It's moreso the "icing" used to shape a sounds characteristics/structure.

A compressor is limited in the capacity in which it can affect a given sound.

Interesting question nonetheless.

Cheers.

small_hcomp.jpg

- - - Updated - - -

Here, this is what inspired this question

I found with the H series plug-in's the analog knob just adds noise more than anything. As is with most analog switches/knows on most Waves products. Why you'd want to artificially introduced an audible 50/60Hz hum is beyond me....

The analogue button for the API series actually changes the eq curves and for this compressor idk why they'd add 4 different flavors of analogue if they would all just add noise. Use this compressor to crush, it adds a bit of saturation I do think and it does affect the dynamics too

Back
Top Bottom