Is 64Bit needed for music production these days?

mr meh

VIP Junglist
So I'm in the market for a new pc mainly for making music on, seen some nice ones on Inta Audio but im wondering if its worth paying the extra to get 64Bit, or just go with 32Bit?

i'm a mac user, but as a rule of thumb i would always stretch your budget as far as it will
go when buying a new computer for the best possible components.

64 bit is going to double the processing ability of your desktop.

in theory it will keep up with new tech (specifications wise) for twice as long.

64 bit is a big jump for processing technology.

on the flip side your going to want to check the compatibility of your existing
software with 64bit. it might mean upgrading everything.

Worth doing yeah, just remember a lot of stuff will still run in 32bit. Most VST's are still 32bit even if the DAW is 64bit. Main thing, make sure you can get 64bit drivers for your soundcard.

I run a Win7 64bit system with 32bit Fruity and dont have any issues with anything.

When you say you've seen a nice 64 bit system what are you referring too btw? All cpu's since dual core are 64bit so it's mainly a question of paying for a 64bit OS...

I don't know much about computers, but, correct me if I'm wrong, I'm pretty sure 64bit allows you to add as much ram as you can pack in, wheras 32bit allows you a maximum of 4g of ram... So definitely worth the stretch if you want to configure a fast PC.
I got my PC from Inta Audio with 64bit quad core and running 8g of ram, definitely worth it! :)

I don't know much about computers, but, correct me if I'm wrong, I'm pretty sure 64bit allows you to add as much ram as you can pack in, wheras 32bit allows you a maximum of 4g of ram... So definitely worth the stretch if you want to configure a fast PC.
I got my PC from Inta Audio with 64bit quad core and running 8g of ram, definitely worth it! :)

Do you have any issues running any music software like vsts, DAW's?

As i had been looking at the i5 32bit 4g ram pc from Inta, but im tempted by the i7 64bit 8g, but wondered if there'd be problems?

32 bit float is great, it's not needed to get 64 but what do I know. Sound quality wise, defo not needed

Even with a 64bit computer you'll most probably end up running a 32bit daw anyway. Besides, most plugins haven't reached 64bit status yet and will require a 'bridge' if running in a 64bit daw, which ends up using just as much CPU as running a 32bit daw.

So basically no point running 64bit daw for the moment, but good to have a computer that's capable nonetheless.

Even with a 64bit computer you'll most probably end up running a 32bit daw anyway. Besides, most plugins haven't reached 64bit status yet and will require a 'bridge' if running in a 64bit daw, which ends up using just as much CPU as running a 32bit daw.

So basically no point running 64bit daw for the moment, but good to have a computer that's capable nonetheless.

^this. i have a macbook pro running snow leopard and logic express 9, all capable of 64-bit. i ended up switching logic back to 32-bit after awhile because i was having issues with massive changing sounds (saved sounds!) using the 32-bit audio bridge in logic. long story short, people have been making banging dnb for years using 32-bit systems. 64-bit isn't there just yet.

32bit allows you to realize up to 8GB of RAM, not just 4GB. so unless you want more than 8GB of RAM, you won't need 64bit

In windows (all versions) you can only see 4GB of RAM in 32 bits. Dunno about MAC's tho.
If you want to use more than 4 GB RAM in windows u need 64bit OS.

Exactly what i was guna say.

not needed but its the next step. imo everything else is just pure fail. i got a 64 bit system running and its running perfectly with all those 32 bit vsts..

32bit allows you to realize up to 8GB of RAM, not just 4GB. so unless you want more than 8GB of RAM, you won't need 64bit

Not true at all, the cut off point for RAM on a 32bit system is 4 GIG, a 64bit system is eesential if you want to utilise more RAM

Back
Top Bottom