iPods are going to DIE!

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by 1992, Jan 16, 2007.

1. 1992

1992 Novantadue

Is it just me or does it seem like a bad move on Apple to make iPods disposable. For those who don't know, you can not change the battery on iPods (You have to send them back to Apple to have them replaced!!!).

Not only will iPods physicaly die at some point but its a very bad marketing move on Apples part. Eventually some other company is going to come along (Sony perhaps (iMan or iWalk)) and kick Apple to the curb.

2. mesh

mesh Active Member

wouldnt surprise me at all, I have an iriver and no love for ipods. do you own an ipod man? apparently its 70 % of the mp3 player market ....

3. sdm

sdm This is Dog Fort

After 10 seconds of Googling it seems you can replace the batteries on iPod's.

http://www.ipodbatteryfaq.com/#1
    http://www.ipodbattery.com/

I've had my iPod for about 4-5 years (it's a third generation iPod) and it still works with no problems at all.

4. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

Sony is worse than Apple when it comes to proprietary shite, overcharging and trying to bugger consumers.

5. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

ive heard you have to convert the file type, is that correct?

6. rmt

rmt sex for money plz?

yeah i have a sony mp3 player, and i don't bother using it, because you have to convert all the tunes - and the controls are aweful. its a 40gb model... wish i hadn't bought it...

7. sdm

sdm This is Dog Fort

What for?

From and to what formats?

8. logikz

the special ipod format?

9. sdm

sdm This is Dog Fort

iPod's accept MP3, VBR MP3, AAC, WAV and plenty of other audio formats. I don't think they support WMA though, but then WMA sucks compared to MP3 in my opinion!

If you're ripping audio CD's using iTunes, you can also rip into VBR or standard MP3, you don't have to use the default AAC format.

10. Twisted Murderer

Twisted Murderer Den Tammen Belg

My brother got one (iPod) and he plays mp3's on it. Because 90% of the files on my PC are .mp3

11. logikz

because you havent BOUGHT A RECORD SINCE 1993 MORE LIKELY

12. Twisted Murderer

Twisted Murderer Den Tammen Belg

thx friendly guy 8O

13. 1992

1992 Novantadue

I have nano 2gig and a nano 2nd gen 4gig. I didn't buy them, they were bribes a printer cartridge company sent my mother. I did however buy the sharper image ipulse jukebox charging station and the car charger was a gift.

Well you are very fortunate, I'm not convinced this is the norm. Well as one can see from the above links, the batteries are not user replacable. One would have to void the warranty to replace the battery which is a very bad thing for you and apple. It appears the only way to open the case is to use a knife which may damage the case or break it. Knowing what I know now, if I ever had to buy an iPod I wouldn't unless if they got their act together.

Also something else I found out via this site ( http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/IPod_Nano ) is that the Flash memory that these iPods use only have a certain number of read/write cycles before the flash memory becomes unusable. Yet another nail in the coffin for iPod? Sure you could choose one of the hard drive models but then you run the risk of damaging the drive by handling it roughly. A friend of mine had the hard drive go bad on his original iPod. He was without it for several months while it was being repaired by apple. I rather like the flash memory option because theres no moving parts to break however I was unaware of the limited read/write cycles before I visited that page.

I really don't appreciate the lack of do it yourself features (battery, memory, HD replacement). If my computer was an iPod I would have had to throw the thing in the garbage when my system files became corrupted last week. Instead I was able to repair the whole thing by taking it apart and installing new drives. Even when a PC becomes outdated because of processing power, you could essentially replace the mother board and your PC would continue on for years to come. All the parts in a PC are user replacable! The iPod should be more like a PC. It would be even nicer if you could choose from multiple operating systems to install on it and have a wide variety of software options to use with it. I dislike how I'm tied down with iTunes which isn't a very good software interface. The iPod should work like a USB drive (like the cheaper Coby mp3 players).

I think there should be laws against companies making disposible products that are designed to last a short amount of time and then to be thrown out. Its one of those things that wouldn't have been an issue back in the 1950s as products were not designed to be disposible.

Last edited: Jan 16, 2007
  14. sdm

sdm This is Dog Fort

Warranties are generally for one year in the UK, and I would imagine a large majority of iPod batteries will last well over that time, therefore you would be invalidating a warranty that doesn't exist.

Once again, the links I posted both state that replacing the battery is possible with the correct tools.

Regardless of your point, in my case I've had no troubles with my iPod in the 4-5 years I've owned it, which judging by your argument indicates I must be extremely lucky. Oddly, I have four good friends that spring to mind that also own iPod's from various generations and are not experiencing any problems either.

I couldn't be bothered to read the rest of your post, no offense intended, however I will say that if you don't believe in buying an iPod, simply by an alternative product and hope you don't experience any problems (y)

15. Fes Rock

Fes Rock Nothing..........

Ive had 2 ipods. started out with the first gen 15 gig (that still works, sold it to a mate) . Now i have the 6 gig mini. I have had no troubles with it. i had issues with the power cable. but the extended (3 yr) warrenty covers everything.
    And the only "special" apple format is AAC. wich will become a problem if you import all your tunes using AAC.
    I recomend using the high quality mp3. it takes up more space...but will cause less headaches in the long run. because you dont wana have to convert AAC files back to mp3. ruins the track

16. 1992

1992 Novantadue

Ouch! Well I hope you don't think that I'm an iPod expert. I'm certainly not nor do I wish to pretend to be. I was just venting based on what I know, heard, and experienced myself. My iPods still work too but I have a feeling this is temporary.

:burn:

I have this fantasy that someone from Apple will read this thread and address the concerns I mentioned. However as I said at the start of this paragraph, this is a fantasy. I'm wasting my typing/complaining energy. *lol*

17. sdm

sdm This is Dog Fort

I don't see why you're worrying then, if your iPod works fine then there really is no need to be worrying about it? Surely you have more important things to think about?

Why would Apple change the way they manufacture their extremely popular product? It's had like ten different revisions in it's various forms, with each one being an improvement on the last, obviously this battery issue you're concerned about isn't something Apple or the millions of people buying iPod's are concerned about.

18. logikz

what about software, do you need special software to manage it?

19. sdm

sdm This is Dog Fort

Apple recommend iTunes which I don't have a problem with, but there are other third party packages available if you don't get on with iTunes.

20. Dustek

Dustek Finished the PhD

Keep away from Ipods.

There are plenty of better options (price, features) out there. If you want an Ipod despite knowing that, then you want to be cool.

I'm using a Creative right now, drag and drop ease, no fucking Itunes (which copies all your songs and acts as a DRM 'feature').