Intro and breakdown thread

ARTFX

Artist, sound designer and tutor
VIP Junglist
Hey yah guys! First of all:

'Merry Christmas!'

So this thread is about intro's and breakdown, I want to discuss the methods used and what everyone likes to do when we're talking about these parts in your tracks.

I think an intro really needs to be special to keep the listener from skipping to the next track, and so I like to go quite over the top sometimes when talking about intro's.
I thin great epic string patterns and percussion patterns can really bring out an intro and give it some kind of setting.
Although the rest of the track needs to be going well with that kind of intro.

Next I also try to have the breakdown somewhat similar to the intro, so it matches the theme and carries on the emotion going with it.
I've got a little preview of an intro I'm working on right now, start to become really epic. :D

So what do you guys like to in terms to intro's and breakdowns?

Last edited:
Because i work 80% of the time, i make music, on sound design and around 20% of the time composing. I really like to put my sound design skills to the test, because you are far less limited to push stuff to the extremes and go crazy with it, in the intro. For me, i think making an intro is the most fun part of the track usually. No limits and can go crazy with it.
An example of my sound design:

Last edited:
Ehm, i'll probably be the only one, but i first make my drop and then try to make an intro to it.
Probably not a good way xd

And a happy christmas to you too

I work in a pretty similar way. I usually get the main drum beat down because i dont want to lose the idea ive had. Lay it in around 50 seconds in. Work on an intro, then the bassline to go under the drums, then the outro.

Ehm, i'll probably be the only one, but i first make my drop and then try to make an intro to it.
Probably not a good way xd

And a happy christmas to you too

Yeah mate, I'm working in the same order, but this thread is about the production of the intro's and breakdowns itself.
Because when you have that drop down, you'll need an intro that works well with the drop.

I try to create epic stuff but it tends to be a bit shite so I try and go for the more minimal approach.... a drone, a changed up pad doing a pedal point riff, maybe some interesting percussion I dont know...

Depends. Ur intro in that track is pretty beasting ART. Maybe take a few of the rolling drums out though. They kinda muddy it up a little too much. Sick little track though.

I try to create epic stuff but it tends to be a bit shite so I try and go for the more minimal approach.... a drone, a changed up pad doing a pedal point riff, maybe some interesting percussion I dont know...

Depends. Ur intro in that track is pretty beasting ART. Maybe take a few of the rolling drums out though. They kinda muddy it up a little too much. Sick little track though.

Yeah haven't done any EQing and such yet, so that is probably the problem of things getting muddy.

Well im a big fan of intro,
A couple of my team mates have some simply amazing intros, dj friendly and unfriendly ones to match,
Intro and drop making is strictly a limitless mass of technical pronounciation,
My usual and personal tip for intro is the use of the reverse reverb technique,
Youll find alot of atmospherics, fx stabs etc will sound better reversed alongside normal samples
For the sounds you want further back into the distance then reverb is your friend,
Try dropping the dry by -6 or 12db and using the wet at 0
Creative panning is a great way of expressing and manipulating sounds within your soundspace and against the crowd ]=]
If your in a dj friendly tune its upto you how you keep the dj in tow,
From using one of your drum layers and filtering the rest through,
To bandpassing and scrurrying through the spectrum
Personally i prefer to keep the dj on his toes,
Wether its from a half bar drop to an off key reverbed hi hat lol
Seriously the world is your oyster,
But just dont forget to give everything its own eq range and to surgically take away those nasty resonating frequencies, unless you want them there in the first place ;)

Back
Top Bottom