Interviewing DnB Fans for a Paper

Discussion in 'Drum & Bass' started by Crispy K, Jul 23, 2011.

1. Crispy K

Crispy K New Member

Hi everyone.

I'm writing a paper on the origins of Drum & Bass and the subculture that grew out of it for a college musicology course. I'm looking to interview some people regarding their experience with DnB and I think this forum would be a great place to get a diversity of responses.

If you're interested, all you have to do is respond to the questions below and either post your response in this thread, or if you'd prefer, send them to me via PM.

Please include your name, age, location, and level of involvement with DnB (eg; fan, producer, dj, mc, etc.) If you are uncomfortable with providing your full name, just a first name with a last initial should be fine.

Please keep responses somewhat concise since there are quite a few questions, a nine page response is of no use to me.

Thanks everyone, I hope you enjoy answering these questions.

Questions:

1. How long have you been listening to Drum and Bass? How did you get into the music? What did you find appealing about the music?

2. In what settings do you enjoy the music the most (driving, partying, at home, etc)? What is the ideal setting to experience drum and bass?

3. What stereotypes are associated with being a fan of Drum n' Bass? Does it involve a particular lifestyle?

4. Are any certain drugs associated with Drum n' Bass? How important are these drugs to the music?

5. What level of engagement with the music would you say the 'average' Drum and Bass fan has when compared to other genres of music? Do most live the music, or are most just casual listeners?

6. Would you agree that there is a global culture to Drum n' Bass? In what sense (if any) would a fan from the UK, USA, and a fan from elsewhere (choose a location) relate to one another? How would they differ?

7. What is a junglist? Do you consider yourself a junglist? Do junglists differ from other DnB fans? Has the idea of a junglist changed over time?

8. Has Drum n' Bass remained true to its roots throughout the years? Is the music mainstream? Who profits from Drum n' Bass? Is there something wrong with this?

9. Please explain, to your understanding, the roots and influences of Drum n' Bass.

10. Are some genres of Drum n' Bass more authentic than others? Is Drum n' Bass more authentic than other types of EDM (eg; House, Trance, etc)?

2. Acid_Alli

Acid_Alli aka The Executioner

Look for a guy named Andrew Clarke, find his email address may say it on a site called www.ramrecords.com he loves filling in these papers.

3. Crispy K

Crispy K New Member

"Hey Andy C., got time to fill out some questions?"

The focus of the paper is on the fans, not the artists.

4. JaceWzu

JaceWzu Member

My answers will probably be a bit different to others because of my location but

Jason McKellar, 17
    Karratha, Australia (Middle of fuck-all)
    Fan, amateur producer

1. How long have you been listening to Drum and Bass? How did you get into the music? What did you find appealing about the music?

Only about 4 years, heard it through videos on youtube where someone had done say an animation and had a dnb backing track. First song that got me to really start looking around for more was Spor - 103 Degrees. I just love its aggresiveness and beat the piss out of you attitude. It goes a lot deeper than any other genre of dance music.

2. In what settings do you enjoy the music the most (driving, partying, at home, etc)? What is the ideal setting to experience drum and bass?

Just at home, playing through the 15 year old Technics system we've got, dancing like a wanker when no-ones home. Obviously feel the ideal setting would be in a room off your face with a shitload of people going mental to a DJ.

3. What stereotypes are associated with being a fan of Drum n' Bass? Does it involve a particular lifestyle?

I think dnb has a bit of hipster attitude, especially in places like this where people are into it enough to talk about it on a forum. Being a little less mainstream and constantly having to hear about things like dubstep give you a bit of a superiority complex. Don't think it involves a lifestyle, not for me.

4. Are any certain drugs associated with Drum n' Bass? How important are these drugs to the music?

I WOULDN'T KNOW ABOUT THIS.
    Nah but seriously, too far away from anything to know about the pills and whatnot

5. What level of engagement with the music would you say the 'average' Drum and Bass fan has when compared to other genres of music? Do most live the music, or are most just casual listeners?

I reckon drum and bass has a fairly devoted following, you either don't care about it like your average radio listener, or you really love it and you keep track of releases and where people are playing.

6. Would you agree that there is a global culture to Drum n' Bass? In what sense (if any) would a fan from the UK, USA, and a fan from elsewhere (choose a location) relate to one another? How would they differ?

Well... the culture here is that me and a mate of mine listen to it and I'm pretty sure that's it. Don't really understand the question.

7. What is a junglist? Do you consider yourself a junglist? Do junglists differ from other DnB fans? Has the idea of a junglist changed over time?

Same thing we all are, just a word to make you seem like you've been around since the beginning. Nope, nope, yes.

8. Has Drum n' Bass remained true to its roots throughout the years? Is the music mainstream? Who profits from Drum n' Bass? Is there something wrong with this?

Well it does sound a fair bit different now so I guess it isn't really 'true', but all genres evolve. Less drums, more bass. I would say it's an iceberg type deal. Only a few guys have really made it into regular mainstrean radio coverage, like Pendulum, C&S, The Qemists. When you think about how many people are releasing in this genre, 3 groups is not too bad. The only thing though, that I would say, is the little trend recently to almost stop making dnb altogether and focus on dubstep. Like Spor, his label Lifted, Dieselboy's label Human Imprint. Feels like a massive 'get fucked' to any dnb fans they had.

9. Please explain, to your understanding, the roots and influences of Drum n' Bass.

Amen break, reggae, jungle, dnb.

10. Are some genres of Drum n' Bass more authentic than others? Is Drum n' Bass more authentic than other types of EDM (eg; House, Trance, etc)?

Ahh I guess in technical terms, Neurofunk would be the leading sub-genre of dnb. The producing quality is just mammoth. But then, Jump-up has more appeal to your average night out guy, Liquid has more soul and emotion, and Darkstep is just really fucking angry. All have their own little merits. I wouldn't say dnb is more 'authentic', but the average dnb producer is a fair bit better quality than most other genres. Don't think I can answer that, I don't listen to any other EDM.

IMOTBHFWIW

5. Crispy K

Crispy K New Member

Different responses due to location are exactly what I'm looking for. Thank you.

6. Acid_Alli

Acid_Alli aka The Executioner

No didn't you hear? he's given up djing he's just focusing his time on following marky around being his number one fan...

7. jsmith89

jsmith89 Hmph..... silly...

Jack Smith, 22
    London
    Fan

1) Probably started listening properly when i was about 18/19, heard Voodoo People (Pendulum Remix) out a fair few times so i bought their first album and it all started from there. Dnb is just always fresh and evolving, so much good music out there if you care to look and i was getting a bit bored only really sticking to one genre of music (hip hop)

2) I most enjoy the music heard out at clubs like most people though i can easily enjoy listening at home, travelling, everywhere really. Doesn't matter about where you are as long as there are like-minded people enjoying the vibe and the speakers aren't too dodgy

3) I guess from an outside point of view a lot of people don't understand that the music is varied enough to attract all sorts of people, a lot of people dismiss it for all sounding the same. People only stereotype if they dont know exactly what they're on about, all walks of life like dnb

4) Course some people are gonna be on whatever they wanna be on on a night out but it's no different from any other clubbing environment, not to be associated with just dnb in particular. From my own experiences it's not important at all, just another accessory to having a good time

5) What i think is great about the genre is that fans really engage with the music and appreciate its worth, hence this forum and sites like Soundcloud, and Facebook to an extent. I myself like most people on here are borderline obsessed with finding out new music, new artists. Fans are always gonna try and support their favourite artists and i think this commitment is pretty unique

6) I dont think it really matters where you are in the world because a lot of promotion is on the internet nowadays, the only difference i can see is that maybe the uk and europe have better access to the nights and seeing the artists

7) I think the term junglist is slightly outdated nowadays considering sub-genres are constantly overlapping, its more just a dnb scene rather than anything. I wouldn't consider myself a junglist considering im relatively new to the scene but a lot of older people would back when 'drum and bass' was 'jungle'

8) Dnb is predominantly an underground culture and so on the whole the music can't be classified as mainstream to an outside audience, however i feel like of late there has been a growing mainstream movement within drum and bass. For me there's a lot of generally pretty disappointing output from certain artists that have risen to the top of the scene eg chase and status and more recently dj fresh ('louder'). But the fact that the music is appealing to a much more broad audience can only be good for the scene in terms of exposure, fan base etc

9) The Winstons - Amen Brother is generally considered the origins of the whole genre considering the impact the sample has had on so many genres. Can't really expand on that other than its evolution from jungle to what is now dnb

10) Authenticity is to some extent just a matter of taste, however it doesn't take much to realise there is a lot of dnb out there that lacks quality or a bit more 'watered down' than some. I could compare say more liquid, jump-up stuff to more minimal and even more technically accomplished stuff and completely rubbish the former but again just a matter of taste i think, one man's anthem is another's generic garbage

sounds like a worthwhile project mate, good luck and i hope this helps you somewhere along the way!

Last edited: Jul 26, 2011
  8. dnbgary

dnbgary Member

Gary 20
    U.K but am from poland
    Fan and DJ

1. Well Ive been into drum and base for ages now, you see it all started back when i hear my friend (who's a real dj, like me) played that song by pendulum the one about a spider. So basically I've been listening to the band for ages now. What i like about the drum and base? well i like the fact the drums can go fast or slow depending on the song maker off course. Personally i like them middle like what dj fresh is making on the tv's.

2. I enjoy the songs when i'm sitting at home with my other dj friends when we do the washing up. I also like listen to the songs when me and my dj friends work in the chicken farm killing them, i make this joke where i cut of a chicken head with a machine when my favorite pendulum song drops on my ipad me and my friends laugh.

3. Well it is a very tough job being a drum and base fan and dj alot of time we have to go see like chase and status play live (yes the band) that is fun but also very hard work when we dance. But with lifestyle we only do that when my friends who like hip hop songs say this 50 cent is better then nero song, but me and my dj friends we say no..

4. I like the drugs when we dj, also when we party.

5. Well most other fan's arn't as big as me, as ive been liking the songs since a little boy. But it is important to know that.

6. Well like i say's i am polish so back in poland we listen to the drum and base but only russian bands, here i like all now especially chase and status. But alot of fan's here say they like alot of other drum and base but i know that alot of it isn't drum and base but in-fact dubstep (alot people have problem knowing difference, not me tho). But i put them right and say NO that is not the drum and base but in-fact dubstep.

7. No i am not a jungle man, me and my family are polish and white i am no come from the jungle thank you very much.

8. No drum and base is the same since i listen to song when younger, all the songs sound the same that's why i like very much.

9. The starting of drum and base? well i know because my dj friend told me it started way back when pendulum made that song. And from there bands like chase and status and nero make the sounds like pendulum. And they make success.

10. I do not listen to the trance only drum and base but it is real because dubstep is with the base but drum and base has the drum's in (that's why its called drum and base).

Thank you for the listen.

9. samgisking

samgisking Member

10. Jwood27

Jwood27 VICTIM

James Wood
    Macclesfield/Hull
    Fan/DJ/Attempted and failing producer

Probably since i was about 15, listening to the first pendulum album on the back of the bus to school, i think it was just the weight of the beats that really got my interest.

anywhere and everywhere, i can enjoy it at home chilling, driving around, but i guess parties and raves are the best, when everyone else is there for essentially the same reason.

i think there is a certain drug related stereotype but i think thats not because of what the music sounds like, but rather the environment in which you normally get to hear the music.

i guess so, but its entirely dependant upon the individual, as mentioned before, the environment is the main factor in the drugtaking that generally occurs at raves.

i would suspect it is a lot higher, if someones is "into their drum and bass it means they probably go to more raves than say your average indie fan goes to gigs. they probably buy more music and most i would guess aspire to be a dj or similar on one level or another.

from my relatively limited knowledge i suspect there is a variance in styles. indeed i get the impression that if i were to travel to say eastern europe/russia i would hear more hard/techier dnb like counterstrike/cooh/calyx along those lines - america i can't really comment on, but in the uk you have a bit of everything. but at the end of the day if any dnb fan were to go to any rave in any country i think they would feel they were with essentially like minded people
    personally i would consider a junglist someone that is into the earlier jungle stuff circa 1992 - 1997 ish, i think the general population would probably accept that anyone that listens to dnb one. but i think you would find if you asked a 30 year old who had been attending the raves in the early 90s if todays mainly say hospital listeners were junglists you would get a definite no. its all down to personal perception

i suspect probably, its still a close knit scene more or less, and you still come back to the main themes, drum, and bass. mainstream - no. the music said mainstream producers like SubF, C+S etc put out is generally mor electro/dubstep (even brostep whatever that is) and isn't really anything like what you would hear at a normal rave. a few tracks do transcend this. the only profiteers from dnb are the artists labels and promoters - the way it should be.

late 80s house and dance being given a more break beat style with ragga influence led to jungle. that then evolved into the ambient dnb and techstep stuff. and so on

10. Are some genres of Drum n' Bass more authentic than others? Is Drum n' Bass more authentic than other types of EDM (eg; House, Trance, etc)?[/QUOTE]
    NO. Dnb is Dnb full stop. some people may despise some variants but at the end of the day its the a slice of the same cake.
    i don't see why. if i knew more about house and trance im sure i would know about its roots back to early dance. im sure there is a trance forum somewhere dedicated to obscure 99 trance, that hates the "commercial modern equivalent"