Interview: Ant TC1 on what 2010 holds for his Dispatch imprint

Discussion in 'Drum & Bass' started by Nick-ep, Nov 24, 2009.

1. Nick-ep

Nick-ep RudeFM/In-Reach

Please introduce yourself briefly...

I'm Ant TC1, I've been DJing for the past 16 / 17 years and writing music since about 2004. I also run a record label called Dispatch Recordings as well as running a monthly night in Leeds called Momentum.

Tell us a bit about the background of Dispatch...

The idea started off in 2000 with Nos and Mark (Hidden Agenda brothers) wanting an outlet for their tunes and in 2001 it was born with the first release from the boys themselves. I started writing music for the label and helped out a lot with the artists / general running of the label. I took over more responsibility when the guys started having a family, etc.

You've had quite a busy year in terms of releases, what have been the highlights of 2009 for you?

Survival's constant excellent tunes, the Spinline 12" which I think is fantastic and signing a tune by ST Files as well as working alongside good friend DLR on a few bits.

Tell us more about the next single on Dispatch...

The Spinline 12" is the next release and includes the tracks Irreverse / Nothing More - they've both been getting played quite heavily by the likes of Marcus Intalex, Survival, Lynx, Cern, AI and Spectrasoul.

Who are your key artists?

Survival's one of the main ones really, we're good mates so it's quite easy to snap up his output (often before it's finished luckily for me) and I still think he's one of the best producers out there since hearing his early material. (I hope this blatant arse kissing gets even more of his new tunes sent my way). DLR's a good mate from Leeds and we're both working with Octane on a number of bits at the mo, it's just finding time that's a struggle.

Done any interesting collaborations recently?

Yeah, DLR and Octane as mentioned above. Me and Octane have almost wrapped one up that might end up being the flip for my remix of Lomax's Palomar but not sure. Funnily enough I'm on my way to London right now to get completely smashed at Fabric and finish a tune with Survival that we're both really really happy with. Hopefully if the hangover's not too bad we might even get another done too!

What are you currently working on in the studio?

A track with a sample from the film District 9 in. I might put a twist on it and call it District 10 or something almost as blindingly creative. Working on another really deep one as well but as usual the big struggle is time.

Done any interesting remixes recently?

Yeah, the Palomar remix for Lomax, I don't think that one's gone out much at the mo but the people that have it are playing it loads apparently. I finished that one whilst in India for a few months on headphones only and sent it back to Octane to mix down for me.

What's the next challenge for you?

I'm about to start to learn how to play jazz piano. Hopefully then I can stop being generally crap and can reduce my ongoing 'fix / move boxes' Logic problem because I recorded them in so badly in the first place!

What tracks, producers and labels are you feeling at the moment?

Marcus Intalex, ST Files, Survival, DLR, Octane, Cern, Dabs, Spinline, dBridge, Instra:mental, Lynx, SPY, Total Science and Skeptikal is one to watch, loving his new stuff.

What are your plans for 2010?

Survival's doing a kind of three part EP / mini-album thing, the four tunes I've got for it so far I love and each is very diverse. To round it up me, DLR and Octane are all gonna have a crack at 1502 whilst Break's gonna remix Sky, one of Survival's recent big ones.

Give us a top 5...

Here are my top 5 cheapskate / on a tight budget (or even downright chav) meals...

Fray Bentos pies
    Pot Noodles
    Rustlers burgers
    Boil in a bag sausages
    Anything from the Bernard Matthews range

Anything else you want to tell us about?

Yeah, to keep up with the music coming out on the label and listen to audio clips of stuff that's out or forthcoming then check our Soundcloud page.

http://www.soundcloud.com/anttc1

Download the latest instalment of Marcus Intalex's Soul-ution radio show featuring a 45 minute guest mix by Ant TC1.

http://soundcloud.com/anttc1/soul-utionradio-volume15feat-anttc1/download

2. Riisu

Riisu Not the Preacher Man

I like dispatch more than i like ant tc1's productions. Can't really seem to get into any of the tunes he's made. But he's signed some wicked tracks over the years...

And I can't wait to get my mits on that Spinline 12"

3. bluenote

bluenote Member

Dispatch is a good label methinks, the Atlantic Connection remixes are my highlight.

4. CRoOK

CRoOK Audio Artillery

dispatch is large! you dun dug up another gem nick!

5. safety

safety double safety

i agree with rhys a little bit. ant's tracks don't rock the party but they keep to that kind of sound i expect form dispatch. it's no secret i'm gay for survival so this was always gonna be one of my favourite labels, but i do honestly think steve's released some of his best tracks on dispatch.

side note, did anyone get the living in shadows tune 'something makes more sense' on digital download? it's a great tune and deserved a vinyl release imo. l.i.s are hot and i'd like to see more releases by them on dispatch, i think their style suits the label down to a tee

6. CRoOK

CRoOK Audio Artillery

only just read this properly, a break remix of "sky" will blates be large init bruv. i am also a survival whore

7. safety

safety double safety

i would like someone to hold me and tongue my ear until it's released

8. CRoOK

CRoOK Audio Artillery

I CAN BE THAT GUY

9. Nick-ep

Nick-ep RudeFM/In-Reach

Yeh i tend to agree with what ppl are saying about Ant TC1. Labels heavy but not a fan of the prodcution side. Survival & Spinline shiz looks LARGE!