Internet bullying

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by Borf™, Aug 6, 2013.

1. Borf™

Borf™ Borf

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-leicestershire-23584769

14 year old girl comitted suicide because she was getting bullied on ask.fm

Is it just me who fails to comprehend why people kill themselves over this??

It's the internet, you can log the fuck off. Nobody is forcing you to go online. It's not school.

And to kill yourself over words on a screen? I don't really have much sympathy for the girl. Harsh as it sounds, but I don't.

Some kids get bullied all day long in school. They get on with it and realise that when you leave school, it's all irrelevant.

I was never bullied in school, so I can't entirely know what it feels like. But I'm confident in saying it would never drive me to that. Let alone when it happens on the internet.

What's your take?

2. miszt

miszt BASSFACE Royale

some kids may get bullied every day and just get on with it, but actually allot of kids suffer major depressive episodes and far to many of them kill themselves.

fantastically ignorant post quite frankly.

and btw, anyone can suffer from major depression, dont think you arnt just as susceptible to it as every other human on this planet, coz you are, and I hope you never have to suffer it, because it is nothing like feeling sad, or blue or a bit shit.

Rusket likes this.
  3. Skuff

Skuff Well-Known Member

Seems legit

[​IMG]

4. D-Jhepz

D-Jhepz ◕‿◕

i completely agree... and i have many like what fuck questions...

firstly at 14 you should be dressing that way or using the internet without its being moniter...

secondly they are words on a fucking screen... if some says nasty things on fb or on here do you what i do... i turn it off or go to another thread jesus its pathetic... if the kid couldnt cope with the internet she is was gonna have a tough time in the real world

all this is not to say its not a sad thing and i do feel sorry for her parents

i am watching this huge trolling thing in the news and the people who are like omg it must stop... just look at them and it says it all... facebook twitter dnbf or any other site is just words on a screen that people CHOOSE to read

Borf™ likes this.
  5. rysk

rysk Part-time waster

I spent the most part of my school-life being bullied. It was shit...

Regardless, ask.fm is a site where people can ask you questions anonymously...go on anyone's and you'll see torrents of abuse, to kill yourself over some anonymous trolling is a bit silly in my eyes, but i'm not her so how can i judge?

6. D-Jhepz

D-Jhepz ◕‿◕

where was the NSA :(

7. Borf™

Borf™ Borf

How is it ignorant?

I understand kids kill themselves over it... but like I said, I don't get why. I know people who have gone through so much as a child, but have turned out to be healthy minded adults. I don't personally know any who have either taken their life.

And no, nothing would drive me to that. I love and respect my friends and family far too much to ever do that to them. Whatever life has thrown at me so far (which is quite a bit to be fair) I've dealt with. Be that brushed it off, or taken a few days to sit and think things through, I have never let stuff that cannot be controlled by me, get a control of my life.

To say everyone has the same chance to suffer from depression is surely incorrect. Your initial mental strength and attitude has a huge part to play in it.

And I know what it's like. Seen some close people to me go through it. Really bad.

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  8. logikz

logikz I Am Not The King Staff Member

words on a screen can have an earth shattering effect. anyone who even got so much as a "we have to talk" sms knows that. let alone an angry e-mail from someone you care about or an irate reply from a forum guy that you never have and never will meet, but if you care about your internet status, like some people do, intensely, that can have a huuuuuuge effect too. ive seen some replies from grown ass men on here that have been on the verge of suicide.

i was bullied in school, but it never made me want to die, it only made me wonder what else the world had in store, truth be told i never thought it would cease though. shit gtg, laser science class, hematology, fak ju forman

9. ZUL

ZUL Active Member

I know that kids can get depressed but seriously killing yourself over cyber bullying?

10. Borf™

Borf™ Borf

But this is just some strangers on a website. Idiots on the other end just typing words of hate because they clearly hate their lives.

It's nothing personal from somebody you actually know. I fail to see how that drives someone to suicide. I really don't get it.

11. d-low

d-low I know you got soul

i think thats the point, the problem is the mental depression NOT internet regulations on anonymity, the media and family of that girl naturally blame 'bullying + ask.fm' megacombo because everybody needs a bad guy. when really the overwhelming complication of emotions that pushes someone to suicide cant really even be comprehended alive other wise we would all do it.

12. Hombre-J

Hombre-J Currently Ballsacked

Shut up you pricks.

hyperd4eva, Phat_Sam, Borf™ and 2 others like this.
  13. miszt

miszt BASSFACE Royale

depression has nothing to do with what other people say and do, thats not how it starts, it doesnt matter how much you love your family or how strong you think you are, these things are irrelevant, they may help recovery or push you over the edge, but they will not protect you if you are unlucky enough to suffer from clinical depression - as I said, its not about feeling sad or a bit shit, its something else entirly and it takes down the strongest just as hard as it takes down the weakest.

do you recon Frank Bruno ever thought depression would take him out? humans dont get much 'stronger' than that

Last edited: Aug 6, 2013
  14. ThePapa

ThePapa Suffragette City..

Teenagers are kinda emotionally unstable at the best of times it's a rather turbulent period in a lot of peoples lives. We don't know what issues she may have had Borf but out of every 100,000 guys that log on to dnbforum about 18 are going to top themselves in any given year so I guess every website has a degree of exposure.

Suicide seems to be mostly a man's game not sure why that should be.. http://www.ons.gov.uk/ons/resources/chart2_tcm77-254086.png

This ties in a bit with recent stories of people sending rape threats on twitter to public figures and other 'unacceptable' online behaviour. If this was a private club where everybody acted according to the norms of that club then fine, but if you are open to the public you have to act in a more reasonable manner. Bit more like a work environment than living in a menagerie imo.

15. Harry3

Harry3 Chuki

We dont know who it was though.

Sounds to me like it was people at her school, but as ask.fm is anonymous they cant prove it. Maybe it was a group of jealous bellends, or people who had found out a secret, decided to bully her over ask.fm, she probably knew who it was, was getting these messages every day. Maybe it was over a subject too embarrassing to talk about to her parents or the school?

Massive sweeping statements being made here based on absolutely nothing.

Although as d-low said the issue here is the lack of help she had with the bullying, not the medium through which the bullying is done.

16. Dugg Funnie

Dugg Funnie Well-Known Member

Pretty much this; the whole online bullying, menace-to-society, bullshit is because we use language as the currency to measure the worth of our ego. The rise of the internet, along with ADHD from all the fucking sugar and processed bullshit in our diets has fucked our abilities to think, collectively. So, bad words = destroyed ego (combined with preteen inability to comprehend things like that and recognize the inherent worthlessness of the "self") = suicide.

And the tragically "funny" thing about it is this paragraph.

17. Moskit

Moskit :rodigan: Staff Member

Any child that kills themselves for whatever reason is a fucking tradegy...

To try n make sense out of it from the outside, let alone from a parents perspective is nigh on impossible.

It kills me inside to think of raising my boys all that time and one of them tops themselves at 14.

I think even if you knew as a parent you did everything for them and in no way it was your fault, or lack of action.

You'd never forgive yourself.

I don't think you'd repeat that statement to that girls old mans face kyle, which is why i think people are calling you ignorant etc ;)

18. GeeLeb

GeeLeb Member

I tend to agree that it is fucking stupid, looking in from the outside is easy though isn't it.

Killing yourself has to be one of the most horrible and terrible decisions you would ever have to deal with, and for someone to decide that they would rather kill themselves than live....I think they must be going through some serious shit.

People should be stronger in the mind and get over, even laugh it off, give some banter/abuse back but everyone is different, everyone thinks differently and everyone acts differently and you have to respect that.

19. Borf™

Borf™ Borf

How do you know how strong Bruno was? Mentally strong now. For all you know anything could have happened in his life. The coke probably was a big factor in his downfall too...

I know what clinical depression is. It's happened to people I'm close to. I also know that it will never, ever affect me. I don't care who says what, there is no way I'd ever let myself get depressed. The shit I've gone through in life and come out the other side fine, ain't nothing bringing me down.

- - - Updated - - -

Lol, I give up on forums.

This place is dead, I make a thread, give my opinion and get called ignorant. Ignorant would imply I have no idea about or understand depression. It's ignorant to presume so.

I tell you what is ignorant, thinking people who take suicide must have had it really hard. Look at everyone around you. Look how easy people give up on things. It's too hard, or too much effort. I'm sorry, but there's plenty of people that have topped themselves because they don't want to fight a bit of a battle. I'm convinced a lot of people who do this are just hugely weak minded and in all honesty, a genetic flaw in the human race. Where would we bue if everyone resorted to suicide when things get tough? Someone from my school topped himself last year because his girlfriend of 3 years left him. Really?

The nurse with the whole kate and wills things. Topped herself after that aussie prank. No sympathy for her. She left behind two young children. Them I do have a lot of sympathy for. No matter what else in her life, she should have held their wellbeing above anything. What do they grow up to think? Mum didn't love us enough to not take her life? Complete and utter selfishness. It doesn't solve anything, just your pain. but all that does is shift the pain to family members.

I'm not talking about the girl here, but suicide in general (seeing as aspects of it have been brought up outside this said situation.

And no Andy, I wouldn't repeat it to his face out of respect for his feelings. Doesn't really make it ignorant though. No idea how you come to that...

Sorry if any of it is harsh, but wiping people's arses and sympathising over everything just weakens people usually.

20. djad

djad leo the lion

I think (like mentioned before) that we forget what a rough ride being a teenager can be. Your all over the place emotionally.

To go as far as killing yourself however - There maybe other issues going on cause its natural for a human being to protect their lives, not end them.

- - - Updated - - -

PS- Miszt, I understand where you are coming from but this is an open forum and more so then that, the 'Waffle' page. However much we agree or disagree this is the perfect place to air your views.