Interesting way of pitch-shifting

kama

benkama.net
VIP Junglist
Apparently this is done with an image-to-audio program, and the picture has been resized as 200 times wider than normal.

edit: And of course it wouldn't be pitch shifting since the pitch stays the same, but rather, time stretching.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have "harsh digital noise" VST for making sounds out of pictures. It's fun sometimes, plain colors with minimal variation seem to work good. I will deffo try stretching something 200 times wider

whoaaaa.... this i need to do! the first transient of his voice would make an epic riser for a dark tune, then the bit after that would be great for some moody atmosphere!

so, what do i need to be able to achive this?

That's a very specific program, i bet you'll find it's name by going to the youtube page and checking the description. can't be bothered right now myself :D

i see... but essentially is it not just extreme timestretch? could i not just go into the warp thing in ableton and stretch the bejesus out of it?... although i'm guessing it would sound gash :confused:

---------- Post added at 12:00 ---------- Previous post was at 11:58 ----------

a link for the mp3 http://photosounder.com/misc/hal_9000_200x.mp3

a link for the software http://photosounder.com/

:D

Yes of course you could, but i don't think it would sound like in that video. At least in FLStudio when you over stretch something it becomes very grainy.

And I just realized that it's not resized in any way, just played slower, but as opposed to sampling interpolation (like when you play a wav across the keyboard) it doesnt change the pitch since the program reads the pitch information from the image, and the image stays the same. It's just....slower.

---------- Post added at 14:41 ---------- Previous post was at 14:38 ----------

Realizing that just blew my mind a little :O

i see... well since i have the mp3 of the hals voice, i think i will just pikey the samples from there (y)

I was reading about doing audio editing/cleaning up with one of these things. Because you can actually see the root frequency and all the harmonics seperately you can zoom in and delete/keep specific harmonic content.

So editing out rogue frequencies or harsh resonsnce. Interesting stuff. Must try it sometime. Also like in that photosounder thing you can 'play' pictures. Looks cool.

there is a program called SADIE which is a mastering suit. It allows you to edit parts of a tune just like the above. Every freq has its own colour. you can get some mental sounds by deleting/copy&pasting some of the frequencies/colours

Back
Top Bottom