Inter-railing (& general European travel)

Discussion in 'Waffle' started by Yorkshire Tony, Sep 29, 2010.

1. Yorkshire Tony

Yorkshire Tony Active Member

Me and the Mrs are gonna be inter-railing next year and are busy sorting our route out at the minute, we’re mainly thinking of Eastern Europe, although it will be starting or ending in Amsterdam and maybe be going through Italy at some point. Anyone else been round Europe on an interail pass before?

Anyone got any European hotspots we shuld deffo check out?

One place I GOTTA go is Christiana……dunno if you guys have heard of it before…..check this out! An old Hippy Commune on an old barracks in the middle of Copenhagen which is actually classed as a separate state, with its own laws, which of course deems weed legal……..happy days

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Freetown_Christiania

http://www.virtualtourist.com/trave...Things_To_Do-Copenhagen-Christiania-BR-1.html

2. justin_credible

justin_credible Lurker

Yeah i wanna do this. Use night trains as accommodation to save a few quid too.

3. groelle

groelle Well-Known Member

was the first thing that came to mind.

as for hotspots, if your in copenhagen and want to go east, defo visit berlin. in poland maybe krakow as its full of students and a pretty nice place. and you defo have to go to prag at some point. best beer in the world, cheap as fuck (maybe not anymore as they got €uros there aswell now..), lots of beautiful women and a really nice, historic city.

errm, switzerland is pricey as fuck, oktoberfest ist running, and yeah, have a lot of fun basically :D

4. Matt_47

Matt_47 Member

I inter-railed around europe a few years back, would definately recommend berlin and prague, also vienna is really nice. I also went to florence in italy which is really cool. All these places are ofc really touristy and get really busy in the height of summer. Don't forget you can usually get discounted ferry travel with an interail pass which might help going from italy to eastern europe (would save going north all the way round if you're planning on going to southern italy).

All depends on what you want to do I guess, when I went I did a mix of cities and country (would recommend Hallstatt for a quick break from cities: http://wikitravel.org/en/Hallstatt it's really easy to get to from vienna.

Different countries' train systems are very different. The trains in Germany are really good, and you can pay supplements and get really quick ones too. When I went, every italian and czech train that i travelled on was either delayed or broke down - they really are shite.

5. DeeGun

DeeGun Church of Krust

First look yeah but they´re shite aswell.